WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fun old singleshots?

Boolit Master
    This jem is very accurate
    This is a Rem. 33 made in 1933 or 1934. I got 2 for $50ea. They are both very accurate, I did this one for my daughter.
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 03-02-2018 at 06:40 AM.

Stevens 44s and Favorites. Can never have too many. .22s, of course, but with work and some cleverness, even the .25 and .32 Rimfires can be made to speak again. High grade Model 44s, with fancy wood, tang sights, and set triggers, were common irons in the big-money Schuetzen matches prior to WW1. The last of the model 44 line, the Model 417 of the late '30s, was competitive with Remington 37s and Winchester 52s, and they'll still give a good account of themselves in offhand shooting.

Remington #4, but ONLY the solid-frame version. The later takedown was a huge mistake.

If you see a Page-Lewis, grab it. Very much like a Favorite, but FAR better made. Will handle HV .22 ammo, which overstresses a Favorite.

I broke in my first 2 grandsons on a Marlin 15Y, with a Weaver J4 on it. Still around, but for yard pests I'm using a rebarrelled Favorite.
    Last edited by uscra112; 03-02-2018 at 07:34 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned

I happen to have two 44 1/2s I got when we moved Dad out. At one time, he had an extensive collection of them, these two had issues which is probably why he still had them. Niether one a .22.

Does anyone have experience with the little "Sakrat" .22s made by Husqvarna. I have gotten interested in these lately. Seems like a bolt action single shot which also has a hammer and with that long octagon barrel and straight wrist ought to be a nice carrying and pointing squirrel rifle. I've never handled one.

Boolit Master
    Rem 514 bought with Green Stamps when I was 12...........................62 now

Boolit Master

Rem 514; first firearm I ever owned. That (in memory) was the finest Christmas present I ever received. Every birthday I got a brick of Remington Kleanbore .22 shorts which would last a whole year if I was judicious in my plinking. I have a Springfield model 86C on it's way to my FFL dealer and should have it the first of next week.

Boolit Buddy

Have a neat BRNO ZKM 468 Garden Gun...small extremely lightweight and a joy to shoot...passed down my Dad's Winchester 67 to my son many years ago.

rick

Boolit Master
    I still have my first rifle, and first gun. It is a Remington 514 single shot. It is still in great shape, accurate and fun to shoot. It is not grooved nor tapped for scope sights and I don't shoot it much anymore.

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester model 55 only made for 3years fastest single shot ever made just feed the cartridge and it's ready to fire. Ejecting straight down into my shirt sleeve and no way to mount a scope are the only downers.

Boolit Master
    I have had several over the years but somehow managed to trade them off. The one I miss was a Winchester 310, it was the last single shot 22 they made.

Several years age I traded into a Rem 510, the gun was in beautiful shape with only a few dings on the stock and the blue was almost perfect. When I started cleaning the bore the more I cleaned the worse it looked. Looked more like sewer pipe than rifle barrel. It was odd that the rifle was so nice outside and the bore garbage.

I was at a local gun shop this week and was talking to the gunsmith. I mentioned the rifle and he walked in the back and came out and handed me a barrel. It was off a 511P, it at one time had factory peep sights. The barrel was rough outside and nice inside. He gave me more than a reasonable price.

After a bit of fitting work, some oxpho-blue, filing a rear sight dovetail it is good to go. It still looks good and shoots much better. I think I'll finally keep this one.

Dave

Boolit Master
    I'd hate to venture a guess at how many Stevens, Savage, Mossberg, Remington, Winchester, Montgomery Ward, Revelation, J C Higgins and more were made. The well around here on these old 22 rimfire rifles has run dry. I just can't seem to find anymore.

Stopped in the LGS to kill time and I asked to look at a Rem 510 for $125. Salt and pepper bluing but no pits. The bolt face and bore pristine. The stock needs some furniture polish. Before I said anything he said $100. I quick drew my wallet for a deposit! I learned to shoot with my dad's 511 Rem so this is sweet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

What I find interesting is when at the range with the grandkids and their single shots ( a stevens crackshot and a rem rolling block) how many of the old timers come up and watch quietly till a cease fire then ask to look at them. I often here stories of my first rifle or using one at grandpas or other realatives and many memories. We usually offer to let them fire a few rounds for "old times" sake. The look on their faces and the sparkle in their eyes makes it well worth the few rounds of 22 lr.
    The numbers of these rifles made isn't as impressive as the number of memories that come out when you get one out. Wonder How many started out with one

I have a Remington 512 SportMaster and a Remington 511 ScoreMaster. Not single shots though. For single shots I have a few Slazengers. These things have the action body integral with the barrel. They have "Ordinance Steel" Stamped on them and they are not kidding. I cut one down with a hacksaw and it was tough going! I scoped and suppressed that one and it seemed to shoot quite well. I also reprofiled the barrel since in the shortened condition it looked out of proportion plus is was unnecessarily heavy and it was for a young kid - who shot very well with it. Still does. His seven year old sister shoots it well too and is eyeing it.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 03-09-2018 at 07:54 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

My dad bought me a Marlin 1897 for my 5th birthday, 1955. I couldn't hold it up at that age. A
    family friend gave me a Stevens Maynard JR. a boys tip down rifle that was light enough for me
    to shoot myself. I was about 8 before I could handle the 1897 unsupported. My dad would give
    me 4 cartridges when I was 8 and let me go Squirrel hunting myself but I was only allowed to
    use the single shot.

Boolit Master
    Grew up with a Rem 41 shooting bullfrogs for the frying pan. Still have it, and a Rem 33, A couple Win 67s, a Win 47, and a Win 04, oh and a Cricket and Contender carbine too. The 33 and 67s get hunted with and shot frequently, just a relaxing connection to a simpler time for me.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Mold
    I got an old Winchester model 60 from my grandfather and used it to teach my grandchildren how to shoot. Very accurate and it was free.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had an Iver Johnson Model X since '58. A Christmas gift from my Grandfather, it was his.

Started my kids and grandkids on it. Many years later I also bought a Rem 514. Both have served me well.

Banned
    I have a Remington Model 514 that shoots well. Been shooting it since I was about 12 years old. Used to ride my bike to the rifle range to shoot back then. Ah the good old days.

Boolit Mold
    Remington 510. Bought it about 3 years ago for $135. Boy does it shoot. Barrel markings indicate it was made in 1940, I wish it could talk. I wanted it as a companion to the 512 that my folks gave me for Christmas in 1965. I'm now looking for a 511 and a 513 to complete the set.

The single shot Slazenger I shortened and lightened for my great nephew.

Gave it a boiled linseed oil treatment.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast