Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fun old singleshots?

Boolit Grand Master

Fun old singleshots?

I have a Remington Targetmaster that I was given from a neighbor that didn’t want it to end up at a pawn shop somewhere. I’ve kept my word and have kept it and I’ve shot thousands of rounds through it. My sons aged 8 and 11 are also enjoying shooting it and love that they have to manually cock it and are pretty good with it.

What are some of the other models out there that have a reputation of being durable, accurate and CHEAP. This one was free but most times I can find them for 75-150 in pawn shops.

Which others would our brotherhood here recommend?

M 67 Winchester !

Jedman

Super Moderator

I grew up shooting a M67 Winchester. It was my favorite uncle's, and it's now in my possession. Hard to beat, but I don't think they will be found "cheap" any more.

Boolit Master
    At one time I had a Stevens Crackshot, put a few hundred rounds downrange with it. I was talked out of it by an older gentleman who wanted something to teach his granddaughter how to shoot safely. I made him promise to gift it to her when she became of age and no, I don't regret letting it go to him.

Not real old (1982) but a lot of fun 64 action anschutz metallic silhouette......9 oz trigger, perfectly balanced.....

Boolit Buddy
    Remington model 33 & 41, I haven't found one yet that in good shape that wasn't accurate.

Banned
    Ithaca M49 saddlegun, Sheridan Knockabout pistol

Boolit Grand Master

Ill second the Stevens Favorite 22 they were a great little boys rifle or butcher rifle. I have one here now for the grandson when he gets old enough. Another fun little single shots is the Remington rolling blocks in 22 lr. Also the Kimber 82 (?) the cmp dcm sold for a few years surpluss.

Boolit Master

It took my uncle, my dad, & probably half the kids in their town to wear out a Remington 510 to where the striker wouldn't stay safely engaged. . .and then we had it gunsmithed around 1980 and essentially repeated the process with me on the trigger for the next 20 years and 20 gazillion rounds. Ended up sleeving the barrel and passing it to my cousin. Apparently in need of striker therapy again. Guess I'll be sorting that out on my next visit.

I don't think you're going to top the Winchester 67 for the durable/accurate/cheap matrix. With the later addition of the wing safety, that's one of John Browning's, and there is little debating that the man understood both engineering overkill and simplicity of design.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Mine is a Marlin 15Y. Single shot bolt action- 22 S,L,LR. It has taken many chipmunks around the place.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

My children grew up with a Marlin 15y also. Its still here and Dad used it for a garden gun for years also. One plus to this rifle and others like it is even when a round is chambered the action still needs to be manually cocked. There were a lot of single shots 22s available over the years from budget models to high end target rifles Price a Rem 40X some time. LOL.

The Little marlin has been passed around the family to start out youngsters for years. A old single barrel 410 I have is the same its been thru my cousins me and my brother and several of the neighbors kids. I hate to think of the number of rounds thru most of those single shots. And all 1 at a time.

Boolit Master
    I have a Stevens model 44 in 22LR that is one of my favorite shooters. Had a Targetmaster but gave it to a friend of mine. Have a few Contenders too. In larger calibers I have a few Trapdoor Springfields (45 and 50/70s), Also a Stevens 52 and 44, both in 38-55. The model 52 is another favorite. My early Ruger #1 in .222 made in 1968 is a lot of fun too.

Nothing wrong with single shots.

I had a Remington model 41 targetmaster for a while and it was great. I sold it, and have regretted it ever since. From the top of the car, I could hit an empty 22 casing with it consistently, provided the casing shown in the light good, from 27 yards. I would set them up on the tops of weeds at the fence line from where I parked and use the top of the car as a rest.

I also had another one, that I lost in a house fire that wasnt as accurate, but was more worn. And I've had a marlin 15 that would, with a scope, do 1 small hole at 25 rested. I had a winchester 67 a while, it gave me some ejection issues as it was old and worn... I dont recall how it shot.

Banned

I have my uncle's boyhood rifle, I think it was the Remington 510 and it's a good shooter.

My oldest boy's first rifle is a little Savage (made by Cooey, I think) single shot bolt action and my youngest's is a Marlin 15Y. Both good little rifles and shot a lot when they were younger.

Boolit Master
    Savage made a model 3 single shot that was comparable to a 510 or a 67,inexpensive but very well made. I sold a friend my Rem 510 when his kids were old enough to start shooting, it had a set of fine King sights and if a sparrow was within 100 yrds it was cat food! He has shot it for over 25 years and recently told me he is having it threaded for a silencer, and is looking for some subsonic ammo

Boolit Master

Springfield Meteor
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Banned
    My latest prize is a Winchester 1885 in .22LR, made in 1906. I also have a Greener small frame Martini from the 1920s that shoots a dream. Others include a Rossi single shot in .357 Magnum, a Bergara .308 break barrel single shot, A Winchester 52C, and a Pedersoli 455/70 Sharps.

Not all old, but all are fun. I love single shot rifles.

Moderator Emeritus

If you can run across one, the single shot Marlin "Little Buckaroo" shoots shorts, longs, and long rifles. Made in the early 1980's, quite the handy rimfire rifle.
    geo

Boolit Master

I got a couple of the 22 Crickett rifles. One with a pink stock and one with a black stock. They were about $100 each at Walmart when I bought them. They are not old but they are cheap and the kids can put some ammo through them.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

My wife has her granddad's Springfield Meteor bolt SS. Very light cool little rifle!

I have a Mossberg M320V bolt SS. VERY accurate. Gave $20 for it. One of my troops brought it to me one day and said give her $20 before she shot her husband with it. And she would have! I have no clue if he knows I saved his life! (Any of the old bolt Mossbergs are accurate in my experience)

And then I have a (NOT cheap, but cheap TO me!) Winchester 75 Target that was a US piece, although not marked US Property. LOVE this one. It was my FILs and the 5 boys decided I should have it, as I shot competitive in HS.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast