Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Fun old singleshots?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    snip
    That baby Martini is quite the neat rifle, I can see why it's a favorite.

Boolit Buddy
    I was going to try building a Remington Mod 6 earlier this year but came across a real beat up original that would make a good project. Traded some old gun parts for it.

This poor thing had the stock cracked and loose with signs of repeated attempts at repair, you can even see signs where they wrapped it with wire. The hammer wouldn't go full cock either and the bore looked badly pitted.

So I epoxied the cracks in the stock, filled the holes with JB Weld wood putty epoxy and added some wood on the inside for receiver bedding. Sanded and applied three coats of shellac but I should have stained it to get the wood putty to match... oh well.
    The action had a piece silver soldered to the hammer preventing it from going full cock. Once removed I found the trigger sear notch in the hammer to be worn so bad that breathing on it would cause the hammer to fall. A little work with a small triangle file took care of that problem.

Once this was all done I took it out to my range and found it was minute of pie plate accurate at 50 yards. I thought about relining the barrel but instead lightly touched up the crown and used a bore brush on it. After a couple passes with the bore brush it looked like gray mud coming out the barrel. Cleaned till no more mud came out.

Took it out again and now can consistently hit the 6" gongs at 50 yards off hand. When weather permits I'll try paper targets from the bench.

I must say it's a lot of fun to walk out back with this old .22 and just hit the gongs for about 1/2 hr and only shoot 50 rounds.

Last edited by tbx-4; 12-31-2018 at 12:31 AM.

Boolit Master
    Fun 22? My father in the late sixties introduced me at 8 to his Win 67. I was told it was given to him at 8 when his father bought it new at the Hardware store in Topeka Kansas. He flew in the Navy but later in life I truly believed he secretly drank with Devil Dogs. He took old pillow cases and had me fill them with sand, 1 ea. green Mil wool blanket and what seemed like an eternity of instruction before I could even touch it. Fifty years later I can remember me prone with him over my back, talking in my ear and moving my body parts around. Funny thing, a decade later I have a Gunny over my back talking not as nice as I remember Dad in my ear moving my body parts around. That little 22 has not seen a round in twenty plus years, but I am one year and seven months away from #1 grandson being introduced. First real instruction and then talking in his ear while moving his body parts around sounds like the most fun I could have with a Win 67 single 22!

@tbx-4

Nice job! What I like see, instead of some black gunk slathered all over the wood to cover up the battle scars.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    Ithaca M49 saddlegun…..
    Second on the Ithaca M-49. A Christmas present (1973) from Dad and my first "cowboy" gun! THOUSANDS of rounds have gone down range and it's one that will never leave my possession.

Semper Fi.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Fun old singleshots?

Quote Originally Posted by avogunner View Post
    Second on the Ithaca M-49. A Christmas present (1973) from Dad and my first "cowboy" gun! THOUSANDS of rounds have gone down range and it's one that will never leave my possession.

Semper Fi.
    That’s what I learned with when I was about 7. If I could see it, I could hit it. Too bad it wasn’t mine. It was around 1971ish I believe.
    Semper Fi as well. I met my DI in 82. Was the only recruit that already knew how to field strip an M-16!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Remington 514, my first rifle. A good day in 1958.

Boolit Master
    For Me, a Stevens .22LR "Marksman", a Stevens 1894 .25 RF "Favorite", a Stevens 1915 .22LR "Favorite", a Stevens 1915 .32 Long "Favorite", and a pair of "Model 44"s of various caliber barrels and one converted to Center Fire with .32, .25, .22 Barrels.

Most purchased as Parts off Ebay over the Years.

Chev. William

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567