Reloading EverythingPBcastcoInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Imr4227

Banned

Imr4227

I have quite a bit of 4227 and was wondering if any of you lever gun guys have had success loading it for the 45 LC. Specifically for the R92 in 20". If so what boolit do you cast with your load. Thanks in advance for you "suggestions" implied or otherwise.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried IMR 4227 in my Rossi and did not like the grit it left behind.

Banned

keep it for your 300 BO.
    or 30-06.
    or 445 super mag.

Banned

It did very well in the 30-06.

Boolit Master
    IMHO, 4227 is one of the best powders for heavy bullet revolver loads. One thing you will notice is it leaves behind bits of unburned powder in your bore. The other thing you will notice is exceptional accuracy. Most of the guys who complain about it not being clean burning make no mention of what accuracy they obtained, so I can only surmise that cleanliness trumps accuracy for them. My personal load in .45 Colt consists of a 265gr SWC HP powered by 22 grains of 4227 and a magnum primer.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Yup, exactly as USSR says.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had excellent accuracy with it in my Henry 41 mag Lever gun. 1/2" groups at 50 yards (scoped and benched). It was clean burning for me.

Boolit Master
    For a heavy action (one that can handle 44 mags) a 45 LC with 4227 would be OK. Rossi says that the M92 can do 44 mag and 454 Casull. Based on this I would say that your 45 colt in a lever gun can handle the "magnum" loadings that 4227 needs. Heavy for caliber bullets and stout loads (well beyond the old revolver loads) are where your 4227 will be happy. As a rule of thumb, most straight wall pistol revolver cartidges can be loaded with compressed loads of 4227 in any gun suitable for magnum loads.

Now for my standard disclaimer associated with loading ammo known to be too hot for some guns.

When I was younger I loaded & shot heavy 45 LCs in my contender. Eventually I gave up the practice as routine. If I want a lot of flash/bang, or more down range smack, I can get this in other cartridges. Athough the probablility that one of my loads ends up in the wrong gun is very very low, I just have a hard time taking any chances at all when I think of the potential results.

As a minimum, be sure that any "beyond old revolver" loads are kept in a secure box/container that is clearly marked as such.

If I did this now, I would be tempted to apply very obvious markings on the container and use a sharpy to put a +P+ on the side of individual rounds.

I haven't personally tried it in 45 Colt but have heard from good sources that 19 to 20 gr of 4227 under 250 gr to 280 gr slugs is an exceptionally accurate performer. I always planned on trying it but I never got around to it.

Lately I have been using the small supply I have of 4227 in my 500 S&W. The recoil is softer than H110 and 300 MP.

Boolit Grand Master
    .30-06 and 8x57. Works great.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    IMHO, 4227 is one of the best powders for heavy bullet revolver loads. One thing you will notice is it leaves behind bits of unburned powder in your bore. The other thing you will notice is exceptional accuracy. Most of the guys who complain about it not being clean burning make no mention of what accuracy they obtained, so I can only surmise that cleanliness trumps accuracy for them. My personal load in .45 Colt consists of a 265gr SWC HP powered by 22 grains of 4227 and a magnum primer.

Don
    Hi Don. I was rereading this thread and I’m wondering which boolit is 265 gr hp for this load. I see the 255gr both RCBS and LYMAN but nothing else.

Boolit Grand Master

Plus another for what USSR says......

Additionally I used 23 gr 4227 (both flavors) under a Lyman 429421 (255 gr) in the 44 magnum for years. Nothing but exceptional accuracy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Imr4227 makes a very good reduced loads in just about any rifle caliber too
    Larry summed it up pretty good to.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavity

Used 22 grains under Keith boolits in .44 magnum good accuracy and made meat.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Also very accurate in the .32-20 Winchester using 10 grains with Accurate 31-105T bullet, 980 fps in 5" revolver, 1280 fps in 24" rifle.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I have a pound with which I intend to get better acquainted, in my .45 Colt RedHawk.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

21 gr.IMR 4227 and 300 gr. Accurate mold bullet sized .456 is magic in my Win/Miroku 92 45 Colt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ncbearman View Post
    Hi Don. I was rereading this thread and I’m wondering which boolit is 265 gr hp for this load. I see the 255gr both RCBS and LYMAN but nothing else.
    I cast a MP 45-270SAA bullet that when cast as a hollowpoint comes in as 265 grains. There is load data out on the internet for the RCBS 45-270 SAA bullet, and you can use that providing that the load data is compatible with your gun. With the .45 Colt, load data is dependent upon the gun it will be used in.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    i use 12.7 grains of 4227 in a .30 m1 carbine ruger six gun.

all good here.

I tried 18gr of IMR 4227 behind a 255gr LFN in a Rossi M92 Lever. Was looking for something with a bit more "reach". I think I ran across this receipt on another forum. Anyway, while it preformed well, it didn't out perform other loads I had been using.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast