WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: .338 Win Mag Deer Cast Bullet Load

.338 Win Mag Deer Cast Bullet Load

what is a 50-50 alloy- I have lead, lyman #2 and linotype - I will be using the lee mold- should I use the lyman #2 or linotype to cast the bullets - also, should I size and lube with lee sizer and liquid alox or lyman sizer with heater - I will be using a gas ck.-have been using liquid alox for pistol bullets and pan lube for BP bullets - new to using lyman sizer with heater

50/50 can be anything but usually means half ww and half lead. The Lyman #2 in a .338 would be fine for hunting as is. The Lee sizer and tumble lube alox works fine for me. The .338 at .33 WCF levels will put a deer down easily I imagine. Have fun!

Boolit Master
    I have 2 .338 cal rifles. A 338 win mag and my homemade 34-57. With a bhn of about 10/12 and going 1800/1900 fps the Lee boolit handles deer VERY easily. Quite accurate and pleasant to shoot also.
    At these velocities I don't have any trouble with the LLA either.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Grand Master

If you're going to hunt with the bullets I suggest mixing lead (60%) with the #2 Alloy (40%). If you're just target shooting then mix the lead with the #2 at 50/50 % and WQ the bullets to harden out of the mould.

A good NRA formula 50/50 lube sold by Lar's White Label (LsStuff at bottom of this page) will serve you nicely w/o having to use the heater. Same with the Lyman Alox lube you may have got with the Lubrasizer. The Lubrasizer is my 1st choice for lubing and GCing. I don't care for or use the MolyLube as it gets pretty messy.....

With that Lee bullet I would look at using H4895 starting at 35 gr and working up in 1 gr increments until accuracy goes south which will happen way before you reach a max pressure load. I would use a 1 1/2 gr Dacron filler.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    My lead alloy for my 338 WM is the same as for all my other boolits, 60% pure and 40% chilled birdshot. It works as well with the 220 gr boolit for targets and certainly plenty for even the largest deer at any terminal velocity over 900 FPS. My 338 won't stabilize the Lee boolit at an mv of less than 1650 but at an MV of 1800, it is very accurate to 400 yards and beyond. I have kept things simple and just sized with the Lee push through and lubed with the standard Alox.

Boolit Master

39.0 grains of 3031 and that Lee boolit seemed to be pretty dang accurate and was somewhere around 1800 fps.

I always doubted the Lee's RN performance on game and so I cheated using the old Hornady 33 Winchester bullet.
    Gave the mold away before trying to do something to flat nose them.
    Never could get the RCBS to be as accurate, but Wine Lover gave me a couple of loads that tightened the groups up.
    One is the 5744 load right out of AA's manual, the other was a SR4759 load.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!