Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x51 NATO (.308 WCF) in the Springfield M1A

Boolit Bub
    First off, thank you to BruceB & everyone one else for their work towards establishing the baseline data for this project.

I finally got down to loading and shooting cast in my rifle today. My 'load' is still a work in progress but I wanted to share what I had.

M1a Scout Squad - Walnut stock
    Scope - Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 duplex reticle
    (Misc: Sadlak Piston/Sadlak Spring guide)

Boolit: Lyman 311291
    Sized: .311
    Alloy: simple WW & water quenched
    Lube: Lee LA
    Primer: Federal LR magnum
    Powder: IMR 4895
    Brass: FC (FL sized with X-die)

I shot 5 shot groups at 25 yards to test functioning then moved to 50 yards. All loads functioned & locked bolt on empty magazine. POA was always the center of the target dot.

To be fair, the wind was a-blowin' my target a good bit so I was squeezing shots off when I could in the 52* weather. I was shooting prone using a ruck sack up front & a sand sock in the rear. No excuses for my poor shots but it's practice and testing together.

*I did note 2 rounds that did not cycle or eject the brass & those shots went way off. One at 30.5 grains & one at 31.5 grains.

All brass looked good, I'll be testing between 27.5-28 a little more and moving from 32-35 grains on the next outing. I had my chronograph but was limited on time so I didn't set it up. I'll use my chronograph on my next outing.

Banned

Which mold and powder would you guys recommend...I'm trying to "copy" the M118 round. In other words, I'm done paying 40$/100 for SMK rounds.

Yes, I'm reading the thread. Been here all morning.

Gear, thanks again for all the help a couple years back with the .40. It's working perfectly now in both guns.

Banned

If we are using the SMK BTHP as a benchmark, then why do the cast boolits look so much different than a jacketed round? Seems like the first place you'd start, is with a cast boolit that looks exactly like a SMK, but with lube grooves, and then go from there. Most cast rifle rounds seem to look like old revolver bullets. I don't get it.

Boolit Bub
    Been messing around with the the 311291 GC (water quenched, Lee alox, sized .310) and IMR4895 with no great results. Rifle is an M1A Supermatch w/ iron sights, prone and slung in. Rem 9 1/2 primer and FC cases with primer pockets cut to seat about 8 thou below flush.

Charges went from 26.0 up through 28grs on first test. Feed fine all the way through and locked open consistently at 27grs. Felt short at 26 but still cycled. Recoil was a little inconsistent at times w/ fliers... There was some promise at 27 grs which I'll follow up on (1.5-2MoA; scope mount inbound).

Got some Dacron into the mix at 28-30grs which seemed to help w/ making recoil feel bigger and consistent. More like the 155 J-bullet loads I have used frequently (primers in this case look nothing like the flattened J-bullet primers). Didn't seem to matter on paper though. Shot 10 and 15 round groups at 3-4MoA.

No bore leading either session, but the flash suppressor was definitely less lead shimmered at that higher end.

I've got gobs of surplus Reloader 15 that I'll try next and a decent quantity of IMR4064. Also have a lot of something close to SR4759 and a jug of 2400 (maybe I can make a good slowfire practice load). Would rather stay out of the various 1lb cans I have. Any thoughts on the surplus Re15 and IMR4064?

Also, I have been getting some lead on the case necks. Any thoughts on that? I've got a very tight match chamber and have to seat the 311291 to the crimp groove to keep it out of the rifling. I'm not too concerned about it; I use a chamber brush and clean the necks off.
    Last edited by 30CalTy; 04-15-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BulletFactory View Post
    If we are using the SMK BTHP as a benchmark, then why do the cast boolits look so much different than a jacketed round? Seems like the first place you'd start, is with a cast boolit that looks exactly like a SMK, but with lube grooves, and then go from there. Most cast rifle rounds seem to look like old revolver bullets. I don't get it.
    THE bullet that "looks" like it would "shoot" looks and the M118 is the 311365 but better shooting[accurate] bullets are the 311299 and 31141 designs. Do a "search" for 311365, several discussions on the design.
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Banned

Will do.

Last week I went on Accurate Molds catalog, and spotted a 31-170b. This looks like a SMK with the .18 meplat which is as small as Tom can make them. I plan on powder coating this, so the groove looks right. I did want a gas check design,. so I asked him about it, and he came up with the new 31-170BG, and I ordered one. Hopefully the wait time will be short. Jon Wolfe of M14parts.com is installing the barrel for me now.

Here's the link to the mold.

Non gas checked.http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=31-170B-D.png

Gas Checked.http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...31-170BG-D.png

Banned

Since the meplat is .180, and a BB is .177, I'm going to try to make a jig to center a drill bit to the meplat. If I can drill to the edges of the meplat, I should be able to set a bb in the end with a dot of CA glue. This will protect the nose as the rounds are chambered, make the bullet more aerodynamic, and will look great.

Thank you Bruce ...
    You will always be my reference and in my memory ...we have been taught so much .
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Banned

I couldnt get the Scout Squad to cycle with Unique, even at the maximum 14 grains according to the Lyman guide.

What would be the best powder to use for this rifle? I'm lost with it right now...

I'm running a 168grain lead cast round with a gas check. The mold is an Accurate Molds 31-170BG.

ETA, with Unique, they were hitting about 18" below the standard 168 SMK/4895 load. I get 7 clicks up to zero at 75 yards with the Match Kings.

Banned

Anyone...?

I just need to know what powder I should try next. If my current mold design doesn't pan out, I'll try the NOE 310 165Gr. FN 2 cavity GC mold.

I've read this thread before, and I had written down a couple load recipes, one from OP, and one from Gear, but I can't find them. If I recall correctly, the OP had a best result with a mold that is no longer available. I thought geargnasher had success with the NOE, so I thought I'd try it. It's not that I didnt use the search function, I just cant seem to find the information I'm looking for.
    Last edited by BulletFactory; 05-27-2015 at 08:18 AM.

Boolit Master
    I would give H4895 a try. If I were using heavy boolits I would try 4831. I think you will find you are not getting enough gas volume with Unique. There is a long list of powders that Bruce had success with mentioned in the article.
    jim

BF - I use the 31-165C, GC, PC, (GC & coated 170gr) 2400+ from an AR carbine with H4895. Shoots great but I don't have the OP rod. Ogive is slightly undersized (0.297) so no chambering problems coated.
    Whatever!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by koehn,jim View Post
    I would give H4895 a try. If I were using heavy boolits I would try 4831. I think you will find you are not getting enough gas volume with Unique. There is a long list of powders that Bruce had success with mentioned in the article.
    I used H-4895 with the Sierra Match Kings, I didnt know you could use that powder with a cast bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    BF - I use the 31-165C, GC, PC, (GC & coated 170gr) 2400+ from an AR carbine with H4895. Shoots great but I don't have the OP rod. Ogive is slightly undersized (0.297) so no chambering problems coated.

The bullet you describe is a lot like what I was thinking of. Powder coated, (Im really new at this PC but I like it ...) gas checked, and pretty much the same weight.

What kind of charge are we looking at with using Hodgdon H-4895 with a gas checked cast boolit? As I said, I didnt think you could use H-4895 with lead...Thought that was for copper...????

Air cooled, or water dropped?
    Last edited by BulletFactory; 05-27-2015 at 11:19 AM.

Banned

Is this possible with cast bullets?
    20 Rounds
    75 Yards
    168gr Sierra Match King, Boat Tail Hollow Point
    41.5gr Hodgdon H-4895 Powder
    Winchester Primers
    2.00 Trim Length
    2.732 OAL
    Mixed Brass

I use ~3% Sb 0.3-5% Cu, oven heat treated for an hour then dumped in cold water. I'm not a very good shot but this is today's results @100. This is an AR so no OP rod to worry about.
    Attachment 140640
    Whatever!

Banned

What's the H-4895 Starting load weight?

From Hodgdon site, 39gr., 2500 for jacketed, 45K psi. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
    Whatever!

Banned

I knew about the jacketed data, it's the cast data I'm lost on. I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by BulletFactory View Post
    Is this possible with cast bullets?
    20 Rounds
    75 Yards
    168gr Sierra Match King, Boat Tail Hollow Point
    41.5gr Hodgdon H-4895 Powder
    Winchester Primers
    2.00 Trim Length
    2.732 OAL
    Mixed Brass

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1A cast 2 002.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	140693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1A Cast.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	140692These are at 100 yds.from a SA "Loaded" M1A w/ a 24 X scope
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

I just start at low/mid jacket'd data and see how it does. If the alloy holds I can go up from there. I used to shoot the 168 Amax but changed to cast exclusively, bout the same load. I did try varget, save it for the Amax's now.
    Whatever!

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast