WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1855 38-55

Boolit Master

1855 38-55

Anybody shooting a high wall in this round? If so what you shooting and how you like it? Im wanting a Pedersoli high wall.Also is yours single or double trigger and which is original?

Boolit Master

Taylor & Co. (Uberti) Highwall here...30" full octagon barrel, single trigger, with Lee Shaver sights. Had the rifle for 8 or 9 years and it's definitely one of the most accurate I own. So far as I can determine, originals were single trigger in the 'standard' models with double triggers available as an option on 'special order' guns.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Vendor Sponsor

The three things to pay attention to before you buy.
    You should know, 1) How long the chamber is cut. 2.085" or 2.130". 2) what diameter is the barrel groove, 0.376" or 0.380". 3) what is the twist?
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Uberti 1885 30" octagonal barrel, 2.130 chamber, .380 bore, Lyman peep. Love this thing!
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine is a C Sharps arms reproduction. Its a pistol grip model with single set trigger. Barrel is Mc Gowen 1-12 twist .376 dia and 30" long. Tapred octagon.Has MVA long range tang sight with Hadley eye cup and MVA spirit level front globe. Currently is wearing a 6X MV malcomb scope. Case hardened receiver. Wood was upgraded to fancy walnut.

I am currently shooting a 360 grn Nasa bullet in it. Our matches go out to 500yds. Its never seen smokeless powder or a jacketed bullet. 47 grns of OE 2F under this bullet and a napa wad (.060) gives 1230 fps.

Boolit Master
    Original Winchester take down, 30" Badger heavy full octagon barrel, 15" twist, .376 grooves, 20X Lyman STS, double set trigger. Breach seated 330gr Hoch with 17.5gr IMR 4227. It's really fun to shoot. Oops,sorry. This is all about BP.
    Last edited by WALLNUTT; 02-28-2018 at 06:40 AM.

Boolit Master
    a real Winchester. late action has the coil springs. it was a shot out .32-40 I rebored it to .38-55. has the long chamber I use the short brass with no problems. I use the lyman 260gr. bullet and 50 gr 2f through a 24 inch drop tube. one hard card and one grease cookie.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Mine is a C Sharps arms reproduction. Its a pistol grip model with single set trigger. Barrel is Mc Gowen 1-12 twist .376 dia and 30" long. Tapred octagon.Has MVA long range tang sight with Hadley eye cup and MVA spirit level front globe. Currently is wearing a 6X MV malcomb scope. Case hardened receiver. Wood was upgraded to fancy walnut.

I am currently shooting a 360 grn Nasa bullet in it. Our matches go out to 500yds. Its never seen smokeless powder or a jacketed bullet. 47 grns of OE 2F under this bullet and a napa wad (.060) gives 1230 fps.
    how u like that scope

Boolit Grand Master

Well the easiest way to say it is I now have 3 of them. The plusses to the MVA malcomb and DZ are. the easy mounting on the rings simply drill and tap 4 holes on location and bolt the blocks down. Uses a posa style mount base. Adjustments are dependent on rings spacing. No springs in the adjustments . Plenty of adjustment both elevation and windage, front and rear rings have windage adjustments also. Not a cheap scope but a good looking period scope that does its job well. has parallax adjustment and a wide focus range.

I've had my Pedersoli 1885 High Wall in 38-55 for about 2 years and I'm still learning things about it. I love it. 6 grooves, 1:12 twist, 30 inch barrel, 0.3725 inch bore, 0.379 inch groove, weight 11.67 pounds which is a little heavy but balances well, 46.5 inch overall length and single set trigger. You can cast the chamber, it's an interesting and informative exercise. However, Pedersoli recommends the use of the 2.125 inch cases. Starline is the only producer at this time. There's an interesting article available online by Dick Trenk, "Reloading the 38-55 for Pedersoli High Wall Rifles."
    I had no luck with bullets weighing less than 300 grains. The Buffalo Arms JIM380360 M4 is a Theodore design intended for use in this rifle. The JIM380360 M3 is similar. Both are unsuitable for smokeless and ticklish when developing black powder loads. CCI Large Rifle Primer, 53 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 by weight, yes - by weight, through a drop tube. Top with a Walter's 0.03 veggie wad. The bullet is made with 20:1, SPG lube (other bees wax lubes have proven as good). Play with the compression until you get an O.A.L. of 3.25 inches (approximately 0.18 inch). It will engage the rifling. You want a velocity around 1,280 fps. Old Eynsford 2F worked well after playing with the amount a bit. Regular Goex didn't work out.
    Except for TrailBoss (11.2 grains) the BACO bullets didn't like smokeless. I thought I had something with 3031 but the results couldn't be duplicated.
    The Lyman 378674 lubed with Ben's Red and cast with 20:1 or Lyman #2 do very well with H4198 (24.9 grains) and Accurate 5744 (22.0 grains). IMR SR 4759 (18.0 grains) works well too but my supply of that is reserved for my 45-70.
    I dabbled with paper patching but couldn't find a commercial bullet of the proper size for testing and didn't want to make the investment.
    I haven't tried breech seating although a friend says it should be a good rifle for that.

The only disturbing issue I've had has been with strips .... splinters .... of lead in the first 6 inches of the barrel. It is not leading in the usual sense. These aren't smudges, they're splinters. It doesn't happen with black powder and only happens with smokeless when I experiment with a kick a$$ load. I have used pure lead and worked up to a 25 BHN alloy but can't stop it. My theory is that the bullet is stripping as it tries to engage the rifling. Maybe when the edges of the rifling wear some. Meanwhile, I'm having fun.

I bought one of the very first to come into this country approx 8 years ago. I use a Paul Jones 372gn boolit with 50gns Swiss No.2 (3FG). Easiest rifle I've ever owned to tune for accuracy!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I bought one of the very first to come into this country approx 8 years ago. I use a Paul Jones 372gn boolit with 50gns Swiss No.2 (3FG). Easiest rifle I've ever owned to tune for accuracy!

is the rifle in the pic a Pedersoli?

Yes it is a Pedersoli!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Super Moderator

...............I bought one some years back. The distributor was Cimmaron. It was/is a beautiful rifle ......................

The only problem was that the barrel was worthless. Cimmaron stood behind it, but I had to send it to two places. First was some gunsmithing outfit that did work for Uberti (Banana River Outfitters) in Ohio or Illinois. They re-crowned it but the barrel still had the 5 rough, 'Grabby' spots in the bore. They said these were aimed at the Cowboy Action shooters, so my accuracy issues were of no concern. Another call to Cimmaron, and they said that guy was definitely wrong they said they'd for sure get a new GOOD barrel for it, and when they had one they'd let me know.

After a couple months got a call from them, and I sent it off to a place in Texas. When I got it back it was a shooting sonuvagun. It was out of my hands and/or unshootable to me for about 9 months total after I'd first got it. Word was (at that time) that Uberti had a hard time producing a barrel worth a hoot. Since now Uberti and Pedersoli (who always had a fine rep for their bbl quality) are now owned by Beretta, I suspect there are no more problems like that.

It's chambered 35-55: It shoots these mighty fine, but for something very simple and easy to put up, all it needs is 10 grs of Unique and the Lee 250gr plain base slug in long Starline brass.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    Yes it is a Pedersoli!
    here that gun runs about 2k

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ...............I bought one some years back. The distributor was Cimmaron. It was/is a beautiful rifle ......................

The only problem was that the barrel was worthless. Cimmaron stood behind it, but I had to send it to two places. First was some gunsmithing outfit that did work for Uberti (Banana River Outfitters) in Ohio or Illinois. They re-crowned it but the barrel still had the 5 rough, 'Grabby' spots in the bore. They said these were aimed at the Cowboy Action shooters, so my accuracy issues were of no concern. Another call to Cimmaron, and they said that guy was definitely wrong they said they'd for sure get a new GOOD barrel for it, and when they had one they'd let me know.

After a couple months got a call from them, and I sent it off to a place in Texas. When I got it back it was a shooting sonuvagun. It was out of my hands and/or unshootable to me for about 9 months total after I'd first got it. Word was (at that time) that Uberti had a hard time producing a barrel worth a hoot. Since now Uberti and Pedersoli (who always had a fine rep for their bbl quality) are now owned by Beretta, I suspect there are no more problems like that.

It's chambered 35-55: It shoots these mighty fine, but for something very simple and easy to put up, all it needs is 10 grs of Unique and the Lee 250gr plain base slug in long Starline brass.

...............Buckshot
    how do u like that rear sight.would it work for 300 yards

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    how do u like that rear sight.would it work for 300 yards
    ..............The rear sight is a Marbles and for 300 yards it would be just fine. However the main issue for long (or longER ranges) is the limited windage adjustment.

...........Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Vendor Sponsor

Barrel and chamber wise, it is not likely the Uberty and the Peredsoli are set up the same. Which isn't to say one is good or bad.

It is just a good example of the 38-55 with its two possible bore diameters and two possible chamber lengths. Start pairing up those four traits willy-nilly, and we have insight to why the 38-55 can trip up the unsuspecting buyer.

That Pedersoli Toy Maker and BAW have is part of the match run Dick Trenk and Dan Theodore conspired to get Pedersoli to make about 10 years ago. It is out of production, as are Dick and Dan, sadly!
    Tho not a hot seller, they were one of the best (factory) set-up 38-55 M&B match rifles you could ask for. Pedersoli used to list another 38-55 before this one was in the lineup and it was a slower 18 twist rifle with a not match chamber like the Theodore rifle.
    That Uberti, other than it is not the Pedersoli match rifle, I know nothing about. Glad to know it shoots well now that the barrel is up to speed!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I have a couple of highwalls in .38-55. They are pretty enjoyable to shoot and can be very accurate if the chamber/bore/brass dimensions are set up correctly. Several years ago I started a project to build a C. Sharps version of the fast twist Pedersoli rifle. I haven't got around to the rifle yet, but might one day. If I do it will likely be a .38-50 instead though.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master

Gunlaker, I did one of the CSharps high walls in 38-55 with the 1-12 twist. Mine has the McGowen barrel 30"long. With heavy for caliber (365 grn Old west Nasa bullets) it very accurate and easy on the shoulder. cleaning the rams at 500yds isn't a problem. I'm very pleased with mine. Mine is a touch over 11 lbs so recoil is really not an issue. It does good with the 335 grn Lyman also. I haven't tried the traditional weight bullets in it yet though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast