MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1855 38-55

Boolit Master
    That's interesting to hear. I've got a 1:12 twist Green Mountain #4 barrel to put on mine.

Have you ever had difficulty spotting impacts from misses? I suppose those bullets aren't much different than the 400gr bullets I use in my .40-65 though.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master

At times on the local ranges its hard to a miss with any caliber due to grass cover. On good days the trace can be seen in the spotting scopes though. I went to a pair of 25xX100mm binoculars on a heavy stand for spotting and that really helped at 300+ much clearer and shows the trace better. They also lower my eye fatigue a lot since both eyes are working together with them. On ranges with dry dirt backstops they do show up but you have to be looking for them also. Not the splash those big 500 grn+ 45s make. LOL. The worst to see are the ones that just miss over the top and impact behind the target. The smaller splash dost always show then.

Boolit Mold
    Barnabus I have the Winchester traditional sporter highwall made by Miroku (nb a pistol grip version, not the usual straight grip) in 38-55 that won an 500 yd offhand gong match match using a 250 grain bullet but the trigger pull was improved by sending the trigger sear to Lee Shaver. Lee also had to fix my Uberti 1885 DST Highwall because it never fired a round as received by me it seems the fly was not fitted properly at the factory yet the weight balance and 30 inch barrel were made for offhand shooting and as the above pic shows it looks great. As a lark had it relined to 32-40 and with the DST it is an almost zero recoil tack driver for 200 yd offhand matches. Have not shot the pedersoli single set trigger model as they are quite pricey, but have seen others do well with them also.

"I bought one of the very first to come into this country approx 8 years ago. I use a Paul Jones 372gn boolit with 50gns Swiss No.2 (3FG). Easiest rifle I've ever owned to tune for accuracy!"
    BAW - - - wish I could find a Pau Jones mold, but they're held dear and locked away with the bullion. How about I send you some lead and you cast me up 50?

Vendor Sponsor

bullet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	492.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	215711
    You can have Steve Brooks make a copy of this DanT design using this print, maybe some other mold maker would take it on.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    BAW - - - wish I could find a Paul Jones mold, but they're held dear and locked away with the bullion. How about I send you some lead and you cast me up 50?
    Neighbour, if you lived close by I'll provide the lead and make you 500 for free
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy
    chill wills,
    i have a 40 cal big brother to that mould.
    it turned out to be a bit of a problem.
    the long nose bumps up into the rifling and leads the barrel, even at 16:1.
    being micro minigroove, it is designed for wiping, and this is when the leading really happens.
    when blowtubing it barely leads, and shoots a lot better, but there is really not enough lube on the bullet for blowtubing.
    bigger lube grooves and it would possibly be ok blowtubing.
    when blowtubing the barrel of course is prelubed, so the nose will be protected.
    possibly lubing the barrel as part of the wiping process might work, but this is an extra job to do, possibly within a time limit.
    the bullet really wants to shoot but just cannot do it.
    those mini grooves would be a good thing on a nasa bullet, improving it immensely, while still having the large groove/grooves at the back.
    a bullet shaped like that that patches to bore would make an extremely good long range bullet.
    keep safe,
    bruce.

Spoil Sport, Chill Wills. I was looking for an excuse to go back to Australia for a visit. Then I could home with a couple of boxes of bullets and confuse the TSA agents.
    Thanks, Bad *** Wallace. Unfortunately I'm not local But have wonderful memories of "Down Under" and the great people.
    Bruce, an interesting observation. I know one guy who owns the mold and casts for himself and one other. They both swear by it and they're both, around here, consistent top 5 winners. I was curious and have given the VFG wiping system a try using Moose Milk and am impressed. You think this would help?

Boolit Buddy
    toymaker,
    i make a point of wiping clean and dry, taking the time to do this when testing for uniformity.
    maybe i need to wipe differently, or leave a little soluble oil in the barrel?
    keep safe,
    bruce.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12