Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: target size

Boolit Master

target size

don't know where else to post this. but, since this the military rifle section and a lot of us are using the open sights (but for how much longer i don't know) my question is about the size of the black bull that you might be using. the size of the black that i'm using is 8 in. called the 100 yd. small bore rifle target. it's a little too small for my eyes (70 years old) i used to use the 100 yd. high power rifle target with a 6 in. bull, but eyes do change. so, to my question, does anyone make a target with a 10 in. black?? or, any suggestions for a target that might be eaiser to see. oh, i'm using apeture sights on most of my military rifles, and low power scopes on a couple.

Boolit Master

I use a small pie plate that I paint orange with Krylon spray paint. Sometimes I use old wasted computer paper with a 3" target dot plastered in the center. I'm 76 and I see fine at longer ranges, my eye problems are up close(reading glasses). I don't do competition or formal shooting anymore, so I just play around. I like to shoot the small rocks at the 100 yard range on one of the ranges I belong to and its a hoot. Pick a rock fist size or better, shoot it into small pieces and then try to reduce the small pieces to smaller pieces. On a really hot and dry July or August day, I like to take empty aluminum cans to the range, fill them up with cool water, set them at 100 yards on posts and shoot them with a varmint 55 grain bullet with my little Mini-Mauser in .223 Remington. The cans explode into little pieces and the water turns to a little white cloud and drifts off. My buddies .22-250 doesn't do well with this game as the velocity is too much and the little cloud never forms--water is slammed into little tiny drops and doesn't form the cloud. enough rambling, james

Boolit Master

depending on your eyes, use whatever works for you.

Boolit Master
    As I got older the spots got larger, at about 5-6 inches now. I used to be able to shoot at 3 inch spots and do nickel size groups at 100 yds with my Swede and good hand loads but those days are gone, that was off a good rest of course. I have seen old long rifles that the rear sight had been moved forward several times, so it's not a new problem.

I cut a circle in a piece of card board and use a can of 99 cent Wally World flat black paint and make my own. Just play around till you find one that works. Try different shapes and colors, sometimes you find one that keeps the sights and target from running together. I have even used triangle with the point down.

You didn't say what you are shooting. I like Mauser sights, the pyramid front and the circle seem to work well together. Peep sights do help and I have already scoped a few.It used to be fun to take a 100 year old battle rifle and run the young guys with their fancy rig through the ringer, even made a few mad.

Dave

Boolit Master

My problem at my age is trembles. I mostly shoot off a rest these days, mostly a rolled up towel or something like that because I am not steady otherwise. My hands shake a little and I have trouble holding anything whether rifle or handgun steady without some sort of rest. Gone are the days when I could call my shots with confidence. The "Golden Years" ---I think somebody lied to me. james

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    thanks Artful; but a 6 o'clock hold with the front sight blade would be difficult with these targets. i'll make a few up myself; and do some research finding what i want

Boolit Master
    I staple a square piece of white paper (5" x 5") to a large piece of cardboard like the separators between boxes of clay birds. Gives a better defined edge for me than round.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    I use red and green copy paper, 8.5x11, cut into squares, 8.5x8.5, 5.5x5.5, whatever other halves come out. Also red construction paper 12x18 cut, 12x12 squares, the color and size help. For aperture/peep/receiver sights an aperture front sight really helps. Lyman has the 17 in different heights for rifles with a front dovetail.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I use red and green copy paper, 8.5x11, cut into squares, 8.5x8.5, 5.5x5.5, whatever other halves come out. Also red construction paper 12x18 cut, 12x12 squares, the color and size help. For aperture/peep/receiver sights an aperture front sight really helps. Lyman has the 17 in different heights for rifles with a front dovetail.
    This works for me also but for real serious shooting/testing with such sights I prefer getting black poster paper and cutting into 8 - 10" squares. Works much better than a bullseye.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Square targets work very well, the flat bottom is a better reference for your front sight. Medium and dark colors work well if you're spotting thru a scope, sometimes hard to see holes in black under less than ideal light conditions.

Boolit Master
    Hi James.A lot of times the"Golden Years"turn out to be brass plated pot metal.And yeah,I do know what you mean.I`m 72 and just had cataract surgery this past Oct 5th.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

Leo, I hope your cataract surgery turned out as well as mine. I didn't realize that it got that light in the daytime until I had the cataracts taken off both eyes. Take care and God bless, james