MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: potentially a good laugh on me

potentially a good laugh on me

Through a series of semi connected events, I have ended up with pretty much everything I need to cast boolits, and a sizeable supply of lead.

The funny thing is - I don't even really know if I want to get into casting, but I seem to keep finding a deal here and there and well, why not. if you're gonna try - then go big. In the last 4 months, I ended up with a magnum melter, a bottom pour pot, ingot molds, 1k# of lead, about a half dozen lee molds, a lyman 4500 with heater and a bunch of punches, and a host of other items that are apparently essential. Now, I just put myself down on 2 mihec molds to boot, and I haven't even cast a single boolit. lol.

Either this is going to be fun, or someone in a few months is going to get the casting deal of a lifetime.

Banned

Hopefully you will get to use it
    All of it has stored value as you note
    You should be able to recover most of the $$$ spent
    If you decide not to cast

Boolit Master

remember casting is part science and mostly an ART.

Take it a step at a time and slowly. I enjoy it for the zen-like mindset it gives me (stole that line bty)

and ask questions here--there is a vast storehouse of knowledge on this site
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    anotherweb, please just send your stuff to me as you are on the verge of a serious addiction that can consume your life. It starts out innocently enough as you envision yourself being more and more self sufficient. Then before you know it you are meeting shady individuals in dark alleys making deals on buckets of wheel weights that are guaranteed not to contain any zinc weights. Then you need more and more and pretty soon you won't care if it has zinc as it will be worth it to sort it all out. Your wife will eventually notice that some pewter trinkets that used to be around the house are gone not realizing their value in making bullet metal. Yes, it is a slippery slope. You have been warned!

I've been reading posts here till I'm about to become the average internet non-expert "expert". have debated hitek as well, as I've become a monster fan of the coating. But I'm gonna go simple. Not going to load for anything fancy. Just 38 and 45 acp for now. Nice low powered paper punching loads that appear to be far more dependent on barrel fit than alloy composition and lube sorcery. Since I'm pretty much using range scrap the alloy should be more than sufficient without applying that particular wizardry. I also have the advantage of 2 local friends that have cast for years.
    now that I think about it. They're also the ones occasionally sending me info on deals! They have both mentioned that they'll happily acquire my gear should I decide to bail on it. Hmmm... methinks i may actually be a part of a long term plan on their part to acquire gear for pennies on the dollar!

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats on entering the addiction. If you really want to see how deep the mud can get go to the Lube section! For what you are planning lube is simple - I use Emmerts + lanolin for all my pistol and BP lubing. That way I only need two lube sizers, one for Ben's Red and one for Emmerts - and I've pretty well got things covered.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Science and art; for sure but the "art" is where the "black magic" comes in.......beware.....beware...........

Boolit Master
    I’m by Brainerd if you need some help let me know. Since it fell in your lap, you need to at least try casting some boolits and shooting them. It’s pretty easy, I started with a micro groove 30/30 and had no problems, tho ignorance is bliss I guess! Todd/3leg

Just remember once you start, there is NO going back!

Moderator Emeritus

boolit casting can be as simple or as complex as you want it.

My close friend is a veggie farmer, he has never read a book about casting, he doesn't own a computer or cell phone and has never been on the internet. He's been casting some fine looking Round balls for 30 years. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001