RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Lyman maxi ball

Boolit Bub

Lyman maxi ball

bought used [here]. mold for my deerstalker. .mold throws .500 barrel is 504 sent to Lyman. and told was defective since I was not original owner. only give me20.00 credit on purchase of new mold. any suggestions ,paper patch maybe TKS. CJ

That's an opportunity waiting to happen!
    There's always a bit of risk in trying to purchase an off the shelf mold for a muzzleloader.

If you want to try paper patch there's a .501 sizer available from Lee. You will get a little spring back to something slightly bigger after sizing but it will probably not be big enough. But there's no way to know until there's holes in targets. And then if it needs a bigger diameter then the Lee die is easy to enlarge.
    .002 under bore is the norm for muzzleloading boolits while some people use .001.
    With a .501 sizer you will be real close.

Any how, them's my thoughts.

Boolit Master
    To add to Good Cheer's point... If you try to paper patch without sizing, you may have some problems. Not sure how you can add .003 or .004 without sizing..not sure what paper you have in mind, but you can try different types. I use 9# onion skin(2 wraps)... but I size them... your maxiball(IIRC) has an enlarged driving band so the bullet actually gets engraved as it is seated... if you wrap that without sizing, I'm thinking it may be too tight to seat without tearing the patch...I'm not well versed on the properties of various alloys, but some actually grow with aging... so if you are close with the as cast, you may be good by waiting a couple of weeks if you are shooting a harder alloy that pure soft lead... I would be interested in your experience...I'm thinking of trying the same thing, but that project is on the back burner for now... good luck...by the way.. Thanks Good Cheer for your suggestion about using paper patched soft SWC in my fast twist ML's.
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Arrow

cptjack, Rather than trying to paper patch the undersized Ly. Maxi-Ball, I'd "beagle" the mold: Search the forum for how to do it (a very easy fix). Alternative #2 is to search your favorite auction site for a T/C Maxi-Ball mold of the proper caliber as they were held to closer tolerances than the Lyman molds.

Boolit Bub
    thanks all

Boolit Master
    Maven has a very good point... I just bought a double cavity 45 maxiball mold on ebay yesterday for a project with some of my .45 ML....45's are less common that .50 so you shouldn't have much problem in finding a cheap mold.. if not there now, just watch and they will pop up pretty frequently...
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Grand Master
    captjack. Bummer it didn't come together right off the bat, but paper patching can make up for some "fitting" issues. Also, I wouldn't be shy about sending the barrel to Bob Hoyt in Pa. to have him make it a .52 or .54. The big advantage there is that you can name the rate of twist (or be guided by his most excellent advice) to get exactly what you want. ie: If you want to shot round balls, get a round ball twist. If you want to shoot conicals, get a conical twist. Which ever, you'll have a barrel that will outperform one that has a general twist that shoots both RB & conical OK. I've done just this and have been very happy with the results. Which ever, good luck in your pursuit. 725

Boolit Master
    I have T/Cs rifles and few lyman molds. T/Cs get used their lymans don't. Over time I found on EBay and purchased 2 or 3-T/C made {long discontinued} N.I.B maxi molds for my two favorite calibers. Over years of experimenting with Maxi's. I eventually sold the Maxi 1-48 barrels. Switched back to shooting original equipped purchased barrels i.e. _ custom ordered T/C Rd Ball only Fox Ridge Barrels.

Been pleased shooting P/Ball since.

Given second thought. I made a full circle of experimenting with oh so many B/P projectiles and ended up pushing Patched Ball again. Does that over the top experimenting make me a traditionalist shooter in the end? I liked to think> it did.

Banned
    defective and they wont warrant it? Nice! more typical lyman CS and quality control.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cptjack View Post
    bought used [here]. mold for my deerstalker. .mold throws .500 barrel is 504 sent to Lyman. and told was defective since I was not original owner. only give me20.00 credit on purchase of new mold. any suggestions ,paper patch maybe TKS. CJ
    You did not mention boolit alloy ,pure lead or ? It does make a difference in diameter !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    defective and they wont warrant it? Nice! more typical lyman CS and quality control.
    That"s common due to abuse/alteration by user ,however if it is not within spec or factory defect they should replace