Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mod 94 Win now a .38-55

Boolit Grand Master
    oscarflytyer: I got the 3 groove. Haven't slugged the barrel yet to get measurements. Funny, this all started for me with a mold I re-hab'd for a friend's .375 H&H. I liked the look of the boolit and had it laying around when another friend got to see it. We laughed and talked about the boolit and, the long story short, I got my '94 converted, he went out and found a used Marlin 336 which is about to be converted, and another friend just quizzed me about the whole process so he can go out and have one of his '94's converted. It all started with a mold re-hab project.

Boolit Master
    I would think its a tough re-bore decision. A 38-55 or 35-30? I haven't done any research lately which has the better stats? Although many do the 35-30 for its encroachment on the 35 Rem stats.
    That ol 38-55 cartridge still manages to keep fellows interested decade after decade. lol

Boolit Buddy
    What R.O.T. 1-18" ?

Boolit Master
    Rate of twist 1 turn in 18"

Howdy Fellers
    I sent a 30-30 marlin 336 to Jes to have it rebored to 35-55 ,got it back last SEPTEMBER, Put a LYMAN Globe site an a Lyman Veneer site on it an refinished the stock I loaded up some 255 gr. cast from a Magma mold 22grs. of5744
    It is a shooter 2" at 200 yards . We had a nice day last week went to the range with a few rifles an Handguns , they have Different sized Gongs hanging around the range I was shooting them with hardly a miss so I was going to shoot my Win 1885 in 38-55 at Paper so I put 2 up at 200 yds. an shot both rifles at them , The 336 shot a 10 shot group of 2" with 2 Flyers with the Win. 1.75" group No flyers ,that is with the same load but I keep the cartridges separate because I don't resize them an I use Black Powder lube.
    Take a Look our Clubs Website www.mscrange.org Look up Cowboy Action an the Buffalo Rifle Match

Boolit Buddy
    Overmax, I agree wholeheartedly 38-55 vs 35/30, how could one decide? So I didn't I GOT BOTH, a perfect solution to the problem. 38-55 is on a post 64 Winchester 94, 35/30 is a Marlin 336 S/C. I like them both and both are accurate.

Boolit Master
    Ah that the way to do it. Your a good man there fordwannabe keeping that Jess feller busy. If I didn't already own a 32-40 L/barrel 1894 no doubt I'd get Jess to re-bore one of my 32s carbines to 38-55. Who knows maybe some day that might just happen?

Boolit Buddy
    I just acquired a Marlin 336 /no extra safety 1961 1/2 mag 30-30 that will become a 38-55 .Not to hi-jack this thread but it may be of general interest.......will a 1-18" shoot 220-265gr bullets and did you get it chambered for the short or long .38-55 brass and why to simplify my choices ?

Boolit Master
    JES says he chambers for Win cases which are short but mine will chamber long Starlines. I don't know what twist JES uses but mine will shoot 145gr to 282gr. This is assuming you are having yours rebored at JES.

Boolit Buddy
    No such luck ,I'm in Canada and we have only one guy that re-bores in the entire country about 30 minutes from my door.The urgency is he is pushing 80 and blind in one eye with his son helping him.Not sure how much longer he will be around so I best get this to him ASAP.He is a custom barrel maker of LH gain twist for the long range and hunting crowd.He said he cuts 38-55 at .376 groove so both .375 + .377 jacketed can be used.Cast can be made to whatever is needed.So 1-18 sounds like the way to go?

I wanted a 38-55 lever gun for long range Cowboy action shooting using black powder, so I put this one together on a pre-64 action. I had been shooting a Browning '86 in 45-70 with smokeless loads and rather then go with BP in it I opted to go the 38-55 route. I did everything but the barrel threading, even the chambering, so was pretty satisfied when I won the year long award in Big Bore Lever Action for the Arizona Cowboy Action club which shot at Ben Avery Shooting Range in Phoenix. Lot of competition with about everyone else shooting smokeless loads and guns. I was a little slower with it in time, due to the amount of smoke it put out, but still managed to go under 30 seconds for a ten shot string at 180 yards each month. The barrel came from Brownell's, the wood and small parts from E-bay or Gunbroker adds, the tang sight is a Marble's and since I had been shooting Single Shots in 38-55 for quite a while, I had brass, moulds and everything I needed to feed it. With 42-43 grains of Swiss 1.5 and a 375499 bullet, it shot great, very consistent and accurate. Did not use a wad, just the gas check on the bullet, which was legal and no problems, it shot the BP load better then any smokeless load I tried in it. Here's the rifle:

Was a fun project.
    McLintock

That is sweet!

It sounds like it shoots as good as it looks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have just found a commerative 38-55 crazy horse unfired (ugly as a can of smashed --------) down side is they want a grand for it . I'm wondering how big of job to replace stock this one is full of tacks and brass adornments.

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    I have just found a commerative 38-55 crazy horse unfired (ugly as a can of smashed --------) down side is they want a grand for it . I'm wondering how big of job to replace stock this one is full of tacks and brass adornments.
    You might talk Numrich into trading you for standard wood. Worth a shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12