RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Rebore to 38/55

Boolit Master

Rebore to 38/55

My question is,
    Since I have no experience with a 38/55, is reboring a rifle from Thutty-thutty to 38-55 a realistic choice? I have no experience with a 38/55, and since my experience with a 45/70 with pyrodex is sweeet, I wonder what a 38/55 would be like with Pyro?
    Is it worth it overall?
    I am not an hunter, just a recreational target hunter. I like restoring old rifles then firing them. It is like resurrecting history.
    I am hopeful on any comments of prior experience on this caliber. Seems like a fire form of a 30/30 then casting appropriate bullets. Might be fun for sure. I figuire a contemporary Marlin 336 could be upgraded.

Boolit Master
    Yes realistic Much Fun No problems. JES Reboring

That's a simple conversion, and JES Reboring is who you'd want to send it to. He'd have it back to you in a week or two, and it would be perfect. I had Jesse Ocumpah rebore my Marlin 336W to .375 Winchester, and I couldn't ask for a better job. Since I live fairly close to him, he had it back to me in a week!

As to shooting the .38-55 with Pyrodex, I avoid BP and BP substitutes for a couple of reasons. First, they bother my lungs, and second, I don't like spending that much time cleaning guns after I shoot them.........

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

My Marlin Texan 30-30 needs to find it's way to JES to grow up to be a 38-55. Hopefully in the next cpl of weeks!