Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
PBcastcoWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am considering a Ruger GP100 22lr. Need opinions from users.

Boolit Master

Taz--Love my Model 34 .22 4" "Kitgun". I have bought and sold at least a dozen .22 auto's of one flavor or another over the years but have kept the kitgun. It's not quite as accurate as the various auto's (groups in the 2 1/2" range@50yds) but is more than adequate and has a beautiful 2 lb. trigger. If you can find one of those I think you'd like it.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned

the only .22 ruger handgun i'd highly recommend is the sr-22.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    the only .22 ruger handgun i'd highly recommend is the sr-22.
    The Charger is a heck of a lot of fun with a brace adaptor. I just popped on a Whistlepig 6" barrel and with my suppressor it's maybe 1" past the forend.

Boolit Master
    I love the .22 single six that I bought new in 1974. Many many thousands of rounds through it and it’s still darned accurate.

ps: My Ruger SR22 is surprisingly accurate and reliable.

(can you tell that I am a Ruger fan?)
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

I have 2 Ruger Single-6s, both early guns. Both accurate revolvers and in fact was first quality 22
    I owned. The S-6 was like a target pistol compared to the H&Rs, IJs and foreign knock offs of Colt
    Scouts. I had a new K22 (1964) that I had got on a trade and had no interest in. I didn't like DA
    revolvers and didn't want to shoot it and make a used gun out of it. A buddy of mine talked me into shooting it. To make a long story short it became my favorite 22 pistol. The Ruger S-6 was
    a good pistol but not in class with a K22. A single action is harder for most people to shoot than
    a top of the line DA target pistol. I have owned many of both and yet to have a K22 that didn't
    shoot well. Comparing S-6 to K22 is apples and oranges.

Boolit Buddy
    I haven't tried the ruger gp100 in 22 but I did get to try a S&W 617 a couple weeks back.

Really liked it but didn't seriously test for accuracy. Certainly minute of popcan accurate. But. It developed a timing issue with less than 500 rounds through it, spraying lead through the cylinder gap. It's currently back at S&W they're checking it out.

So you might be looking at teething troubles regardless which direction you go.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

I had the GP100 in.22 and had it for a carry gun while hunting only thing it’s Heavy.Don’t get me wrong it’s a great gun,shoots like a dream.But I wanted something lighter so now I carry a Ruger 22/45 Lite.Super light and just as accurate. I always carry while hunting here in Central Florida,the lease I hunt has a lot of moccasins.And I HATE snakes, and kill everyone I see.

Boolit Master

I have a Ruger Bearcat that is easy to pack on the hip and accurate enough to pot small game out to 20 yards.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Is there any disadvantage in buying a Single 10 as opposed to a regular Single Six? I wondered if there might be more variability among chambers or maybe a problem with all lining up correctly.

Hey GDLT31, Theys fo kines of snakes I don lik, Big-uns, litle-uns, live-uns, and dead-uns

Well guys, I ended up signing the paperwork on a S&W 617 with a 6 inch barrel today. It will be a few days before I can pick it up. I will report back when I test it out.

I had a couple 617-6s, 10 shooters both 4" guns. I don't like stainless other than that no problem
    my grandson who I had recently gave a M18 S&W instantly wanted one- he got it and I got the 18
    back. I bought a SP Ruger in 22lr and was not thrilled with trigger or sights, I didn't keep it long.
    I would much rather carry a Single-6.

It depends what you expect or need for accuracy out of a 22 revolver. You get what you pay for.
    There are some very well made 22s that are not cheap but are more less novelties and don't have
    practical accuracy for field use.

Banned
    Like a lot of you folks the single six was my first 22 wheel gun in 1971 it has been used by myself and all 5 of my sons the action is now butter smooth and it has a 3 pound trigger that just breaks with a steady squeeze great revolver wouldn't trade it for the world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12