Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: New .44 Special GP 100

Boolit Master

New .44 Special GP 100

So, I have acquired a new GP 100, 3 inch. Mine is a Talo exclusive, came with a gold bead front sight and wood Hogue grips. I have done some searching as to loads suitable, there is one long thread on here, but most of it didn't deal with actual loads. I already have another .44 Special, and .44 magnums. The question is, what, if any, loads would be suitable to push the 429421 at 1000 fps out of this gun. I realize it has a thin forcing cone. I had a 696 Smith a few years ago, and it had a thin forcing cone as well, from what I can remember, it may have been thinner, and protruded into the cylinder opening even farther than this GP 100. And the 696 had a reputation for cracking those forcing cones in some circumstances. I have some loads utilizing 8 grains of Power Pistol with the 429421,powder coated, that are very accurate, I haven't chronographed that load to see what it is actually doing. I also have some loads utilizing the same bullet with 16 grains of 2400 that I use in a different gun.I haven't attempted using that load in the GP, pending more information. I'm not interested in "magnumizing" this gun, but a few cylinder fulls of 250's at 1000 would be nice on woods trips. There are some new powders out that I haven't tried,just interested if someone else is loading for one of these and what they have found suitable. I have other .44 molds as well.
    Last edited by softpoint; 02-26-2018 at 05:32 PM.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

my favorite .44 special load. Never chronoed it out of a 3". I doubt any critter could tell the difference between 900 and 1000 fps.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    my favorite .44 special load. Never chronoed it out of a 3". I doubt any critter could tell the difference between 900 and 1000 fps.
    I guess I should say "close" to 1000 fps. Recent data has 3 levels of loads for .44 Specials, and i'm not sure where the GP falls in..

Buffalo Bore shows a 255gr. SWC at 984 fps. When I ask if it was ok for the GP100 they said it was. their test was in a 3.25 "S&W 396. I got a 3" GP100 last week I'm going to try for 900-950 fps with the #429421 or 429244 GC for woods carry. Just finished a target load with the 429421 with 6.6gr. Unique 775fps out of my 3" GP100. It is good out to 50 yds.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master

I have the 429244 mold as well, but the 429421 has shot well out of the gun, powder coated, with 8 grains of power pistol behind it. Out to 50 yards. 15 yard off hand groups are really nice, some 5 shot clusters around 1/2 inch. Not sure if this load is quite as fast as I'd like though. The Buffalo Bore load is interesting, wonder what powder they are using?

Boolit Buddy
    Softpoint-- Brian Pearce has listed quite a bit of load data for the .44 Spl in Handloader issue #312 (Feb 2018) that may answer a lot of your questions. The nice part of it is that he lists pressure inoi along with the powder and bullet. He also has listed some info previously in Handloader #308 using the same format. I don't think that he specifically mentions the GP100 but the info may prove to be helpful. Hope this helps, Stan

Boolit Master

Yes, I have that issue. There is some good data there, but you are correct, no category he mentions includes the GP.

How fast are your 8gr. power pistol loads going? Alliant shows that load at 954 fps. out of a 5.5 inch barrel. It wasn't listed as a +P load. I can't find any pressure tested data for cat.2 loads.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master
    I would think the GP 100 would be safe with Pearce's Level 2 / Medium loads. After all they are safe for CA Bulldogs, just not a steady diet of them.

Winelover

Boolit Master

I Think the GP would safe with the level 2 loads as well. I haven't chronographed the loads with 8 grains of power pistol yet. If Alliant says 954 out of 5.5 barrel, then I might be getting close to 900 out of the GP? Wondering how Longshot would perform, it's done well in my 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    I would think the GP 100 would be safe with Pearce's Level 2 / Medium loads. After all they are safe for CA Bulldogs, just not a steady diet of them.

Winelover
    Buffalo Bore says any modern 44spcl except Charter Arms Bull Dog. this is for their heavy 255gr. and 200gr,TAC-XP loads. The only BB load that they ok for the Bulldog is the 200gr.wadcutter.
    Last edited by Boogieman; 02-27-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    In view of Ruger's reputation of "Hell for stout", I would consider the GP100 to be unchallenged by the 22Kpsi level of "Cat-2" loads. Just my humble opinion--FWIW. Stan

I'd be looking real hard at the 2400 load. When dealing with short bbl's everything matters. Too hard of an alloy or too small of a bullet for your cylinders & you loose fps. I also prefer 1000fps minimum out of any of my short bbl'd firearms (38spl/357/9mm/44spl).

I use a 8bhn/9bhn alloy in my short bbl'd 44spl, a 2 1/2" bbl'd ca bulldog. I don't use the 22,000psi loads in the bulldog so I went with lighter bullets to get in the +/- 1000fps range.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I've owned/carried a bulldog since the 80's and will do testing of new loads every couple of years. Did the loads pictured above last year. The old fbi 38spl load used a 158gr hollow based hollow pointed swc
    Buffalo bore uses a 158gr hp swc gc bullet for their (a20) 1000fps/snubnosed 38spl load.
    I used/tested a 210gr hollow based hollow pointed swc and a 1000+fps load for the snubnosed 44spl.

1000fps loads are easily doable in the 44spl/short bbl'd revolvers.