MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: old powder

Boolit Master

old powder

i just got 2 cans of HODGENS H-4831, dated NOV. 12TH. 1973. card board cans with metal pop top and metal bottom. still smells good no acrid smells. question can i use IMR- 4831 loads with this powder?

Boolit Master

They are similar but not the same. Most reloading manuals list data for both. I would consult a good manual for the loads for the cartridge you intend to load. I never use data off personal posts on gun sites. Most will be reliable but some will not be and I don't take chances. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Buddy
    Call or e,ail Hodgdon and ask their experts.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    i just got 2 cans of HODGENS H-4831, dated NOV. 12TH. 1973. card board cans with metal pop top and metal bottom. still smells good no acrid smells. question can i use IMR- 4831 loads with this powder?
    try going here
    http://castpics.net/LoadData/Freebie...don%202002.pdf

data from 2002

Do not use IMR Data it is different

Boolit Master
    I called HODGENS and talked to a tech. and he said in no way are they interchangeable!! do not use IMR, loading data with H, LOADING DATA.!!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I called HODGENS and talked to a tech. and he said in no way are they interchangeable!! do not use IMR, loading data with H, LOADING DATA.
    Interesting reply ... from the Hodgdon Burn Rate Table for Relative Quickness
    124 IMR 4831 ... slower than H4831!
    128 Hodgdon H4831 & H4831SC
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

It is slower than the IMR. What are you loading in a 30/06 I would shoot a case full with a 180 grain bullet. It was not over pressured.

I bought cans like yours in the early 70's from $1.00 to $1.50 a can finally shot up all I had in the 90's. To go back to those prices!!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    They are similar but not the same. Most reloading manuals list data for both. I would consult a good manual for the loads for the cartridge you intend to load. I never use data off personal posts on gun sites. Most will be reliable but some will not be and I don't take chances. my experience anyway, james
    This is all good advice. "Can you tell me a good load... " is generally a bad question when asked of non-accountable strangers. You won't get bad advice all the time, perhaps very seldom, but how often do you need?

As long as there is no acrid smell or dusty residue, the question of age is about taken care of.

Boolit Master
    No company employee will give advice on anything anymore,they are lawsuit sensitive.....You try calling a steel supplier and asking what size beam you need for a project....no way will you get an answer.

Boolit Master

I recall those days. My LGS had a steel drum in back. They sell a double bagged paper sack at $.40 per pound./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....