RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Thinking About a Ruger Pistol

Boolit Buddy

Thinking About a Ruger Pistol

I have never owned or fired a Ruger 9mm semi-auto, but lately of have been thinking about the SR-9C Pistol 9mm 3.5inch to use as a CCW. I like the idea of the ambi-safety and I just like the way it looks. I haven’t seen any at my LGSs in a few years or heard much about them lately. I realize there maybe several old threads about this gun in various forums, but I would like to hear from folks who use it today with comments about accuracy, reliability, ease of disassembly, problems, etc.

Thank you,
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Boolit Master

I own more Rugers then anything else and I cant say anything bad about them But i do not own the SR-9C
    but if i was looking to buy a new one for my EDC it would be this https://www.ruger.com/products/sr191...eets/6758.html
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

I had an earlier SR45. It went back to the factory because magazines would fall out while shooting, and it had light primer strikes causing FTF. Ruger replaced 7 parts for me as "rolling upgrades".

It worked much better afterwards, but still a light primer striker (with factory ammo and reloads) about every 100 rounds. I suspect it needed to be clean to function best. I just did not trust it enough to keep it. There is also no slide release.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Buddy
    I owned 1 in this past ,I liked it but it went down the road . they had light strike issues mine went back to ruger for that. It was fine for a while then out of the blue 1 day it went full auto on me . after repeated cleanings it would still go auto . I traded it in and yes I told the shop I traded it to about its prob . I dunno if they sent it into river for repairs or fixed it themselves
    Last edited by sandman228; 02-27-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Boolit Buddy

I had an SR9c, liked it, no malfunction issues, accurate as I could want, but, trigger reach was too long for my short fingers, so it got traded.

Boolit Master
    I have an SR9C. It is a great pistol. Became a bit too big for me for concealed carry here in Az. It is relegated to a house pistol these days. Never had a problem with it. For carry, I went to the LC9S with upgrades.

Boolit Master
    I have a SR9,, but not the "C" model. Mine has been excellent. It's getting used in the next few months to shoot USPSA for classifiers in "Production" class.

Boolit Buddy
    Gents,
    I really appreciate and value your information.
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I had one for awhile. Nice gun, and would buy it again if I was looking for this sort of pistol. Only thing you need to remember is, Ruger will probably not keep the SR series around too much longer. They've already introduced new pistols which could presumably replace it. Once that happens, parts for them will slowly dry up. The P95 was dropped only about four years ago and Ruger is already running out of parts for them.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    FergusonTO35,

I didn’t think about the possibility of this gun being discontinued. Something to consider.

Thank you,
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Once that happens, parts for them will slowly dry up. The P95 was dropped only about four years ago and Ruger is already running out of parts for them.
    What do they do when they have you send one in ?

Boolit Master
    Ruger made an economy version of the SR9, called the 9E. I own 2 of those. I now see they are discontinued. Ruger seems to be promoting the American pistol. They also have an economy version of that, called the Security 9. The SR series and the American use different style magazines.

I have an SR9c that I use for concealed carry. Out of box, that's probably one of my favorite handguns to shoot and it shoots really well. It's as accurate as I am or more. Whenever a friend is at the range with me and shoot it, there is nothing bad to say. I would hate to part with it. I must have one that is a later model though, because I have not experienced the light primer strike issue.

As for them being discontinued, I'm not real sure that should be a concern too soon. Eventually they could be, but I doubt in the near future. Seems most of their handguns right now are part of the "SR" series, and it is their flagship handgun line. Even the new 9mm carbine they just displayed at SHOT and released for sale shortly after uses SR9c (or Glock) magazines. Since I doubt Ruger will start having all their handguns use Glock magazines, I strongly doubt they will depart from the SR style soon.

Boolit Buddy
    Gents,

I appreciate everyone’s comments. I will start shopping around for my SR9C this weekend.
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member