Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.3x57R and 9.3x74R

9.3x57R and 9.3x74R

Just in case anyone here has these calibers or uses the brass to make other single shot calibers! I use 9.3x74R to make my .40-85 Ballard, and my .40-70 Ballard. Anyway, Nosler is closing them out and reduced the price from $70 to $15 per box of 25 pc. brass. I just stocked up, but appears they have more left!

http://shop.nosler.com/closeouts.html

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Just in case anyone here has these calibers or uses the brass to make other single shot calibers! I use 9.3x74R to make my .40-85 Ballard, and my .40-70 Ballard. Anyway, Nosler is closing them out and reduced the price from $70 to $15 per box of 25 pc. brass. I just stocked up, but appears they have more left!

http://shop.nosler.com/closeouts.html
    Yeah, I guess at that price I can't afford not to try them.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I bought Hornady in this caliber for twice the price and was tickled! I got 200 more of the Nosler, as Nosler is usually very high quality brass. I use this donor brass for several Ballard calibers, so even having a lot doesn't go far when sharing with 3-4 guns!

That's a steal at that price ... I paid more per round than that to import 1200 rounds of once fired Norma 9.3x74R brass from Germany. (I used mine to form .40-90 Ballard and 3" .410 brass "everlasting" shotshells.)
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

wow.. all you guys using up that good 9.3x74 r brass.. I need to get me some.. for .. 9.3x74r

Boolit Grand Master
    thanks, just ordered 4 boxes

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    wow.. all you guys using up that good 9.3x74 r brass.. I need to get me some.. for .. 9.3x74r
    Sounds like you need to buy some of this clearance Nosler brass before it's all gone?

I don't have a 9.3x74R at the moment, so I reformed all of mine ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Thanks BIG TIME marlinman, boy what a crime to miss out on that deal. Got me three boxes coming my way.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Now if they would just do the same for my 450/400 3" N.E. it'd be like hitting the lotto today.

I got about 11/2 boxes factory 9.3x74mm. I had a Drilling 16g/ 9.3x74. If I got rid of it I would get another one the next day.

The 8 boxes I have on order will be set aside for future use. I'm good with my present stock of Hornady, but couldn't sit by and not buy more of them at this price! Use them in my Pacific like Rev Al does. Same caliber!

You just can't EVER have enough.

Love your rifle! (But of course I'm a bit biased ...)

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    The 8 boxes I have on order will be set aside for future use. I'm good with my present stock of Hornady, but couldn't sit by and not buy more of them at this price! Use them in my Pacific like Rev Al does. Same caliber!

mm93 - dang! no matter what I have/get, you always outdo me with something odder/cooler/neater/older! Keep 'em coming! Love to see all the old stuff. AND know who the Go To is for answers!

Quote Originally Posted by oscarflytyer View Post
    mm93 - dang! no matter what I have/get, you always outdo me with something odder/cooler/neater/older! Keep 'em coming! Love to see all the old stuff. AND know who the Go To is for answers!
    That Pacific didn't look so pretty when I bought it Oscar! It was all coated in a yellowish brown coat of some sort. Varnish maybe? Took about 7 hours of carefully rubbing all the metal with acetone and a soft rag to remove the gunk. Underneath was a beautifully preserved original Ballard Pacific! I thought it might be good underneath since the wood finish was perfect, and bore looked like new!

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the heads-up, Vall! I guess I won't be re-barreling my Pacific in 40-90 for a while after all. At that price I can afford to mess with it for a while longer in the original caliber. I think I've got a set of dies around here somewhere that will work... I hate the thought of paying HUGE $$$$ for a set of the dies they sell now at custom prices.

My Pacific is a bit of a "mutt" since the SN on the barrel and fore end match each other but not the rest of the gun. I'm not sure what the extractor is from, but it seems to not want to get onto the rim as positively as I would like.

I had my old buddy Willis ("singleshot") Gregory go through the set trigger/sear/hammer engagement several years ago when I first bought it, and bought a bullet mould made by Barry Darr about the same time, so if I can just find my dies, I should be good to go. BTW, what bullet weights do you like for 40-85/40-90, Vall?

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I fire-form the Norma 9.3x74R cases in my .40-90 Ballard with a blank charge and bulk yellow cornmeal, and then neck size them using my .40-82 WCF dies. I use my RCBS neck expanding die with a .40 calibre plug to re-expand the necks and flare them slightly, and then seat the boolit and take the flare off the case mouth using the .40-82 seating die. One of these days I'll break down and buy a proper set of .40-90 Ballard dies from CH/4D ...

Boolit Master

those look awesome!

I'm just arranging to have another 1,000 rounds of once fired Norma 9.3x74R brass shipped over from a distributor over in Germany. I'll sell some of them and fire-form some more for use in my Ballard.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up, Vall! I guess I won't be re-barreling my Pacific in 40-90 for a while after all. At that price I can afford to mess with it for a while longer in the original caliber. I think I've got a set of dies around here somewhere that will work... I hate the thought of paying HUGE $$$$ for a set of the dies they sell now at custom prices.

My Pacific is a bit of a "mutt" since the SN on the barrel and fore end match each other but not the rest of the gun. I'm not sure what the extractor is from, but it seems to not want to get onto the rim as positively as I would like.

I had my old buddy Willis ("singleshot") Gregory go through the set trigger/sear/hammer engagement several years ago when I first bought it, and bought a bullet mould made by Barry Darr about the same time, so if I can just find my dies, I should be good to go. BTW, what bullet weights do you like for 40-85/40-90, Vall?

Regards,
    Froggie
    Charlie, I use my .40-70SS die set to reload for my Pacific after fire forming. I don't full length size brass anyway, so the .40-70SS dies do a great job, and I think Lyman still sells them for under $30?
    I have tried 425 gr., .345 gr., and 335 gr. and my gun doesn't seem to have a preference? The two lighter bullets are cast from RCBS CSA molds, and the heavier from a Lyman Money mold. I personally prefer the two RCBS just because they're so mild in recoil, and did a good job hitting dingers consistently out at 650 yds.. But the heavier bullet did just as well, with a little more felt recoil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast