RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacific DL 150

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset

Pacific DL 150

I picked up a Pacific DL 150 at a reloading estate sale. I do cast and load for rifles and pistol but have never loaded shotgun before. It looks like this press is missing something in the front left station of the press, and the old scanned manuel that found is not clear enough to make out what it is or what it does.
    I would like to get this press going and play around with it. Any help indentify missing parts would be appreciated. Thanks, -jessdigs

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I found this picture online and it showed something in that spot.
    A description or part number would really help me to attempt to find a part for it.
    Also, if anyone knows of the Hornady 366 parts are interchangeable with what does go there, that would really help. Thanks.

Thanks for the link, I looked there before and they do not have this model.
    They have the 105, 155, and 266, 366. No 150 as I believe it was discontinued before Hornady bought Pacific.
    This site has a parts list, but it is not clear at all.
    http://pacificreloaders.awardspace.c...c%20DL-150.htm

Boolit Master
    I believe that is an extra station for adding a different crimp die. For example, if you have a six point crimp on the right side, you could install an eight point. That way you are set to load paper or plastic hulls. Or it may already have an eight point on the right.

I appears to me that you have the 5 necessary stations needed, assuming your decap die has the sizer as well.

This being an older press, not everyone loaded plastic at the time. However paper hulls have made a comeback with some shooters so having both is of benefit nowadays.
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 02-26-2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Sp
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Mold
    deprime w/o sizing ,, no the 366 parts will not fit .. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hornady parts , loaders on bench 003.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	215221

That station is the pre crimp station and there is nothing that goes there. You simply put the hull under it in the place provided and run the ram down to pre crimp the hull, then you go back to the station behind it and finish the crimp.

That's all there is to it.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

There is one for sale in a LGS, looks very much-almost exactly- like your pictures.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    The Pacific DL-150 I have in my collection works very well. But it is an older version than yours as I only have one precrimp station on the left front and there is no threaded hole on the right front for the other precrimp like your later model has. So I have to swap out the 8-point precrimp in my left side for the 6-point precrimp. And I just purchased the three crimp set from Hornady for the 366 press. They are a set that has the threaded aluminum shaft with a taper crimp die, 6-point die and 8-point die that swap out on the threaded shaft with the set. And it screws right into the holes on your press. I run a normal 6 or 8-point precrimp die on the left side, and the taper crimp die on the right rear side so that the shells fit better in my tightly chambered Winchester 101 in 12 gauge.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...embly-12-gauge
    Last edited by DonMountain; 02-26-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info Don, I like your idea. james

Thank you all for the information.
    Does your press have a spring in the back like the 155?
    Mine looks like it has a place for the spring to attach to.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jessdigs View Post
    Thank you all for the information.
    Does your press have a spring in the back like the 155?
    Mine looks like it has a place for the spring to attach to.

There is a return spring that pulls the handle back up to the top stop. It goes from the hole in the rear extension of the actuating arm down to the hole in the back point of the flat casting of the base. Its about a 1/2" in diameter and not real heavy. Its probably the same one as the 155 has. You could probably get one that will work at the spring display at an Ace hardware store or some place like that. I see in your pictures that yours is missing but I can see the holes there. Also it looks like your wad insertion guide is way too low. When that is in the correct position you should be able to take a 12 gauge hull and slide the open end up under that guide and slip the base up onto the flat base. In the position its in I don't think you could do that. When the hull is in position to insert the wad, the tips of the plastic fingers of the wad guide should be positioned so they are maybe 1/4" down below the top of the hull so that when you put a wad in there and push it down by lowering the handle it should slip right in. I think the DL-150 is a better design and works better than the later Hornady 155 was. More versatile, stronger, and you can mount more precrimp and postcrimp dies in it. The standard Hornady/RCBS shot and powder dies also fit the DL-150.
    Last edited by DonMountain; 02-27-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Great info. I have some empty hulls that I can play with. I need to get some wads and shot. Maybe some powder as well, I'm not sure is the stuff that I have will work.
    Rotometals is right next to my yard in oakland, and they have raw reclaimed lead shot as well as cleaned and graphited shot. I will pick some up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by jessdigs; 03-01-2018 at 09:24 AM.

What's funny, is I made an account and posted about this in trapshooters. About 100 views, and not one reply.
    There is only one reloading community, and it's right here at cast boolits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jessdigs View Post
    What's funny, is I made an account and posted about this in trapshooters. About 100 views, and not one reply.
    There is only one reloading community, and it's right here at cast boolits.
    Either nobody over there reloads shotgun shells or nobody collects antique shotgun shell reloading presses. They all use the new progressive presses if they even reload. But over here we all prefer the antique presses. I happen to constrain my shotgun shell press collection to 1960's Pacific presses. And they all work really well. My DL-150 was the first one I acquired and used it a lot. Then I expanded my collection to a DL-260, DL-350 and a DL-110. When I run the progressive DL-350 I always have the DL-150 set up right next to it with the same powder and shot dies to fix mistakes coming off the DL-350. You know, like forgetting to stick a wad in before pulling the handle? Things happen. I noticed in your pictures that you shot tubes are kind of broken around the mounting holes. I sometimes just take them out and go to the woodshop and trim them off on the coping saw with a fine toothed blade so they don't shatter, and then mark the holes after inserting them back on the press and drilling them out with a drill press a appropriate bit.
    Last edited by DonMountain; 02-28-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings
    I think this might help you.
    Ebay links are prohibited
    check out the pics.

John J
    Last edited by Pressman; 03-01-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Jessdigs, go www.pacificreloaders.awardspace.com that should help. You are not missing anything at that station. The only things I see you are missing is the empty spent primer catcher box that goes in the slot on the left side of the base underneath the depriming station. Your wad guide is adjustable for the hull length by way of set screw or bolt on left side of main support shaft. Yes, you need a new return spring.

I just looked at the website I posted for you help. Click on the photo gallery for good images.
    I just picked up a DL-155.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John J View Post
    Greetings
    I think this might help you.

check out the pics.

John J
    I wouldn't pay much attention to the locations of the dies in this add. They are not in the right positions and the primer insertion parts on the cast aluminum deck are all missing. Yours I think has the center piece that pushes the primer up into the bottom of the shell casing, but you are missing a spring and a flat ring that fits down around the primer pusher piece in the center. Originally the primer was placed down into the primer seater ring and as you set the shell on top and pushed up on the handle the upper pipe like piece went down inside the shell and pushed it down to insert the primer, while pushing the spring loaded ring down to the surface of the aluminum casting. I am missing the ring on mine also so I just bought a piece of spring that fits down in the slot and I set the primer inside of it so the spring gets pushed down when I seat my primers. I got all my original info from Pacificreloaders also. Good site.
    Last edited by Pressman; 03-01-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Jessdigs, I'll get some images and take some measurements of the flat donut that goes over the spring and post in the priming station tomorrow so in case you need to make up the missing pieces, you will have something to go on. These will be from the 155. I will measure the post at that station that the spring goes over an then the flat metal donut sits down on top of the post and spring. Will get spring dia and spring length too.

Thank you gentleman. There is not a lot of info on the 150. 155 sure, but 150 is nearly nonexistent. I was born in '81 so I didn't get to see the good days when manufactures made quality products meant to outlive generations, and I really like the older presses also.
    I picked up an older Pacific c press same day, and just ordered a ram from C&H tool that takes modern shell holders for it. It is the one where the ram rises on the upstroke. I didn't need it, I have a Dillon, a rockchucker, and a little Lee C press. I bought it because I'm hopelessly addicted, it was in front of me, and I thought it was cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast