Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Best mold for 35 Whelen

Boolit Mold

Best mold for 35 Whelen

Gentlemen: I have been casting for years but continue to make mistakes and have bought the "wrong" mold more than once!!
    I recently completed a 35 Whelen on a Mauser action and would like to cast for it. I have looked at the Lyman list but still am reluctant to "guess". Any recommendations for a reliable bullet in the 200 - 250 grain or heavier class? I value the experience of those who have gone before. Load data is welcome as well. Regards: Squibload

Boolit Master
    Just my 2 cents Both Lyman and RCBS are a guess at what the molds will cast at.
    Al at NOE has a copy of the RCBS 35-200 (I have one) which casts at .360. Al also has several higher weight molds which I would imagine cast at the size you buy them at.
    You could also go with an Accurate mold by Tom. His molds are always spot on.

Boolit Master
    for a 35 cal I would go for noe 360-228 fn

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...8vkfvo146v7ld6

bc est. .299--- weight 230g available in a 5 cav gc

Rcbs 35 200 grain is one of the best shooting all around that you can get, it works so well in so many different calibers

Boolit Master
    You might try the Lee C358-200 which is a copy of the RCBS 35-200. You might also look at NOE's 358318RG2. I have both and am satisfied with both of them. If your Whelen has a 1:16 twist, I'd steer clear of the boolits that weigh 280g or more.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

Lyman 358315, 358318, and the Lee C358-200 are all good choices.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned

I would highly recommend NOE's copy of the RCBS 35-200.

Use WW alloy, water drop it, then shoot them at 2500 fps and go kill some game.

200 yd shot
    https://i.imgur.com/jVuts42.jpg
    Last edited by Blammer; 02-25-2018 at 10:51 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    You might try the Lee C358-200 which is a copy of the RCBS 35-200. You might also look at NOE's 358318RG2. I have both and am satisfied with both of them. If your Whelen has a 1:16 twist, I'd steer clear of the boolits that weigh 280g or more.
    I am not sure why you say that. Both the math and experience shows otherwise. Do you have a 16 twist 35? Maybe a load work up from some known successful data could help? The Lyman 358009 and LBT 280SP work to well. The LBT at full powder, which is only 2250 - 2325 fps shot in the Remington 700 Classic (16 twist) are a good match.

Great 35 Whelen bullets do not need to be as large as 280gr and something in the 225 -250 range can cover most hunting needs too. Along with the other mold sources include LBT for this one.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Chill Wills;4302607]I am not sure why you say that. Both the math and experience shows otherwise. Do you have a 16 twist 35?
    My experience showed me otherwise. I've had 2/ea Remington 700 35 Whelen Classics with a 1:16 twist and neither one would shoot the Lyman 358009 worth sour owl manure. I also still have a Rem 700 35 Whelen with a 1:12 twist Douglas bbl and it shoots that boolit very well. To me, experience is a much better teacher than theory from some book.

Vendor Sponsor

Did you ever think it is not the twist? A lot of riflemen shoot the heavies in 35 Whelen well. The Lyman 358009 is a borerider and can be tricky, or not. Because of the two diameter design, it is not hard to launch them with induced yaw.
    The heavy LBT is a piece O cake to work with.
    I agree, my experience is much better than theory and hearing from someone, it does not work because I could not make it work.

I am not sure what else to say. I sure don't want this to go down hill. The 35 Whelen owners are a small club. Lets just learn from each others success and be open minded.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I have a 1 in 12 twist 35 Whelen on a Mauser action that shoots the David Moss 358009 clone, the Lyman 358627 SWC which weighs around 225 grains, and the RCBS 250 grain boolits quite well when each is loaded right. I have yet to find a load with any lighter boolits that shoot well in it. When I had the gun built, I planned on shooting a lot of 150-170 grain boolits in plinking loads, but it never worked out. I probably should have had it built with a 1 in 14 twist.
    Maineboy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineboy View Post
    I have a 1 in 12 twist 35 Whelen on a Mauser action that shoots the David Moss 358009 clone, the Lyman 358627 SWC which weighs around 225 grains, and the RCBS 250 grain boolits quite well when each is loaded right. I have yet to find a load with any lighter boolits that shoot well in it. When I had the gun built, I planned on shooting a lot of 150-170 grain boolits in plinking loads, but it never worked out. I probably should have had it built with a 1 in 14 twist.
    I'm glad that the David Moss 358009 shoots well for you. That mould goes back a few years! As I recall, Sundog knew I was having great success with the Lyman 358009 with my 1:12 twist rifle. Around that same time, Lyman decided to drop that design from their inventory. Sundog asked me to send a sample 358009 boolit to David Moss and I did. The mould you have is a result. Thought you might like to know that something good came outta Loring!(inside comment for Maineboys eyes!)--Shuz

Boolit Master

Lyman 358315 and RCBS 35-200 are almost dead ringers (RCBS is FN, Lyman is R), and produce 208-9 gr boolits that shoot up a storm for me.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    I'm glad that the David Moss 358009 shoots well for you. That mould goes back a few years! As I recall, Sundog knew I was having great success with the Lyman 358009 with my 1:12 twist rifle. Around that same time, Lyman decided to drop that design from their inventory. Sundog asked me to send a sample 358009 boolit to David Moss and I did. The mould you have is a result. Thought you might like to know that something good came outta Loring!(inside comment for Maineboys eyes!)--Shuz
    Sundog gifted me with that mold years ago when I had the Whelen built. I didn't know you had a hand in the project, thanks for sharing that. At the time, I had been trying to find a Lyman 358009 for a while, mostly on Ebay, but the prices they were bringing were too high for me. Lyman should have never dropped the design because it's a good one. Loring is now the Loring Commerce Center and it certainly has changed since they closed the Air Force base. I wish I would have known you when you served there in the 60s.
    Maineboy