MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: input for target stock

Boolit Master

input for target stock

I kinda got this weird inspiration to make a wooden target stock kinda like Boyds "at one" I think its called. It will be left handed and must accept a savage 111 and a remington 700. These are the two left handed rifles I have. I think I will keep them single shot, each having their individual chassis to set in and how the bolt position will be needed I will work out as I go. I never had any desire at all for this type of stock but never say never my mom would tell me! Gap around receiver and barrel is no issue to me since it is for two different receivers. Would an adjustible pressure fixture at front of stock for barrel tension be a good idea? I am open to ideas but maybe it will become a piece of firewood. Would not be the first idea I had that was not a good idea.What say ye shooters of the table?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

Some Winchester 52s had a barrel tensioning set up that was simple and effective ( these are 22 rf target rifles) a threaded insert in the forearm on each side forming a vee the screw inserts were a slightly radioused end and polished. The ones on my 52 are click adjust. I adjusted the screws with a old awl type continuity tester, I converted this to a screwdriver With the lead on the barrel I could turn the screw in to touch ( light came on) back out x number of clicks and turn other side in to just touch then bring the first in the number of clicks. then shooting for groups I could adjust in x clicks each side for even pressure to where groups were the best.
    With this set up possible a inch ounce torque screwdriver might work also to set the screws tension.

Another way might be a 1 1/2 -2" long " insert for each barrel. this would need an alighnment pin between stock and bushing. You cound then set tension and bed each bushing to the respective bushing, changing bushings with the barreled receivers.

Boolit Master
    Thanks I like your suggestions. I want to laminate a bunch of different woods and angles together. I most figure out what is wrong with my band saw. I used to cut 1x8 poplar wood into 1\8 inch slices. But since the move out to our current location something got out of adjustment as it does not allow the saw blade to stay on. I think the rubber inserts on the wheels need to be replaced. I just remembered I will have to make a chassis for a vz24 because I recently got a heavy barrel in 8x57 for the mauser. That should be interesting because all the reports were of incredible small groups with this barrel so I got one to enjoy the goodness. Sarco has them but you must ask for them. My journey for decent dry local walnut wood continues.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy
    Richards Micro-fit has many varied and sized stock. They'll set it up any way you want - for a fee. Just ask: http://www.rifle-stocks.com/
    I can not know what I don't know.