Load DataWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mold for .300 Blk

Boolit Mold

Mold for .300 Blk

Hi all! I want to start casting my own bullets for .300 Blackout. I have a 10.5 inch barrel 1:8 twist. Thinking 110 grain...would that be appropriate for this twist? Been handloading 130 and 150 grain fmj that have been shooting low @ 100 yards. Thinking I want to cast to save some money! Thanks! Love the knowledge here.
    Rob

Banned
    I don't know about 110 grain, but I really like the L876ee C312-155-2R

Black / Chrome PC mix and homemade gas check

Boolit Buddy
    PC those puppies but they must be black ....... why ? because black boolits matter too

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300AAC.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	215240

PS I need a better picture and those are the same Lee 312-155-R2 since its hard to tell. I need a better picture.

Boolit Mold
    Same mold for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Same mold for me too. Same load as jbullets.

Boolit Master
    So many choices!!! I make mostly sub's, even for practice rounds, and like the Lee 230 grain with powder coat. I've tried some older designs like 311334, but they can be difficult to chamber. The long skinny ogive works better.

The lighter bullets will work great as supers, too... The 110's would probably be fine with a slower twist, but the velocity should be slow enough that the twist rate won't be a problem.
    Last edited by StratsMan; 04-01-2018 at 11:09 PM.

Banned
    I like these for subsonic with 700 X through a can
    312 -232 COWW+ 2% 311-232-FN 5 NOE
    311-238 GC COWW+ 2% 311-247-FN 4 NOE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    I don't know about 110 grain, but I really like the L876ee C312-155-2R

Black / Chrome PC mix and homemade gas check
    That’s a great bullet for supersonic, and it has the advantage of being available in a six cavity mold as well.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Bub
    Also interested in what people are casting for heavy subsonic boolits. The NOE 311-230 and 311-247 both have such fat noses they scrape when chambering, especially if PCed. The lee mold is good if lapped and PCed to give a larger bearing surface but I'd like something that doesn't require modification out of the box and is available in 5 or 6 cavity.

Has anyone used the NOE HTC310-247-FN?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by easilydistrac... View Post
    Also interested in what people are casting for heavy subsonic boolits. The NOE 311-230 and 311-247 both have such fat noses they scrape when chambering, especially if PCed. The lee mold is good if lapped and PCed to give a larger bearing surface but I'd like something that doesn't require modification out of the box and is available in 5 or 6 cavity.

Has anyone used the NOE HTC310-247-FN?
    I had exactly the same problems as you with the two heavy NOE molds and I don’t PC. I bought a throating reamer and will eventually try that solution, because it will end up being cheaper than buying a whole bunch of new molds.

I have a Lyman 311284 I haven’t tried yet. Lyman has a reputation for being too skinny, so maybe that will work out in my favor.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master

The Lyman 311359 mold drops a short spirepoint gas-checked 115gr bullet that I use for my 300BLK and 30 Apache chambered ARs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lyman-ideal-1-cavity-bullet-mold-311359---3220-30-luger-.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	217589 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman311359.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	217590
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I had exactly the same problems as you with the two heavy NOE molds and I don’t PC. I bought a throating reamer and will eventually try that solution, because it will end up being cheaper than buying a whole bunch of new molds.

I have a Lyman 311284 I haven’t tried yet. Lyman has a reputation for being too skinny, so maybe that will work out in my favor.
    I've thought about that but I'm hesitant to take the leap. Don't want to end up with a useless barrel and AND and bunch of boolits I can't shoot. The NOE boolits shoot ok despite getting dinged up on the way in but I haven't shot many since I foresee issues with lead deposits in the chamber. I just wish someone would copy the lee with a plain base and wider driving bands. So many guys out there are casting for 300BO now there must be demand for a heavy bullet that will work in the AR platform.

Boolit Master
    I've thought about that but I'm hesitant to take the leap. Don't want to end up with a useless barrel and AND and bunch of boolits I can't shoot. The NOE boolits shoot ok despite getting dinged up on the way in but I haven't shot many since I foresee issues with lead deposits in the chamber. I just wish someone would copy the lee with a plain base and wider driving bands. So many guys out there are casting for 300BO now there must be demand for a heavy bullet that will work in the AR platform.
    I think Accurate has a bullet like that. I hear nothing but good things about his molds.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I think Accurate has a bullet like that. I hear nothing but good things about his molds.
    Good call. Might have to start filling up the piggy bank so I can give one a try.

Boolit Bub
    Nice shooting. The NOE 247 is a good boolit, it just doesn't seem to play nice with autoloaders. But now you've got me thinking. I've got the RAR in 556. For the cost of a couple new molds I could just about get a 300BO barrel.

My AR feeds the NOE 247 just fine. No hangups at all with Lancer and PMags. But i did widen the feed ramps

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by xdmalder View Post
    My AR feeds the NOE 247 just fine. No hangups at all with Lancer and PMags. But i did widen the feed ramps
    Just curious, do you PC or use standard lube? How deep do you seat them?

This triggered me!

The NOE 247 grain is notorious for not feeding or should I say stacking well in 223 mags due to interfenernce with the ribs in the mag. Switching to the Magpul 300 Blackout mags will resolve that.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Just curious, do you PC or use standard lube? How deep do you seat them?
    I PC them and load them to the crimp groove. They have to be sized to .309. .310 will not chamber. I also nose size them to .300.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast