RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Which Lee Pot ?

Boolit Buddy

Which Lee Pot ?

I own a Lee Pro 4-20 and am not happy with the knob system to release the lead. Was thinking about the Lee Production Pot iv. Any input please. I've read reviews on both. How well does the lead handle work on the Production Pot iv? Does this pot drip?
    Thanks for any help!

Boolit Master
    The production pot is a scaled down pot and in my opinion after using both is the Pro 4-20 is a much better pot. The production pot leaked more than the pro. What part of the knob system are you not liking?

Boolit Master

I'm happy with my 10#ers. Never liked the looks of the 20# system but haven't actually seen one in use. Seems to me one of the guys over in Australia modified his 20# one with something similar to the RCBS. Might do some searching as I am sure it was on here somewhere. Personally I'm used to my 2 units and pretty much have the "feel" for them. Don't fill em' to the top or empty them down real far and they're more consistent feeling that way. A feeder pot up top makes that easier to do.

Have done a couple things to help with the drips but one casting session they might drip and next session won't. Voo Doo of some sort but it's not a big deal to me.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Master
    Im happy with my 10 lb one but I only cast for an hour or so at a time as my wrists can only cope with that.

Banned
    I hated the old flow control on the old Pro 4-20. they have updated it to

And I'm much happier. If you have one of the old one you can upgrade the flow cotrol assembly

https://leeprecision.com/parts/bulle...-4-20lb-parts/

VALVE ARM ASSEMBLY EL3426
    VALVE ROD EL3427

Parts are free – shipping and handling
    USPS First-Class Mail® Large Envelope - Please allow up to 14 business days for delivery. ($7.28)

Boolit Buddy
    What I don't like about the PRO 4-20 is the wooden knob bracket. It seems the small screw on the top and the small screw on the bottom seem to have stripped out and are crooked and don't hold much. It always has seemed to have a bind in the system.
    I had thoughts about welding a small nut on the top and bottom of the unit and use a small smooth shanked bolt to hold the flat bracket. Any thoughts?

Boolit Buddy
    Attention GRMPS.....if the parts are free, why is it that when I click on the LEE PRO address it comes up with a price list?
    Have you contacted them and had the "free upgrade experience?"
    I'm really afraid to go there again. Was at the LEE facilities last week to get parts for my priming system.

Banned
    Parts are free -- prices go away in the cart. All you pay is shipping.

How to fix loose bolts on Lee PRO 4 20LB
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Lee-PRO-4-20LB

If you live close to lee, take the EL3432 Pot Housing Front pieces (tell them they are stripped out) and valve arm assembly and valve rod back to them and get replacements, ask about the new valve arm assembly and valve rod

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Parts are free -- prices go away in the cart. All you pay is shipping.

How to fix loose bolts on Lee PRO 4 20LB
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Lee-PRO-4-20LB

If you live close to lee, take the EL3432 Pot Housing Front pieces (tell them they are stripped out) and valve arm assembly and valve rod back to them and get replacements, ask about the new valve arm assembly and valve rod
    @Grmps . Thanks for the tip! I just ordered the replacement parts. I have an older Pro 4-20 and I modified it by putting some small washers on the top shoulder bolt to limit the upward travel of the valve arm. Before I did this, no matter how carefully I tried to meter out the lead, it came out too fast. Now, it's a manageable slow flow that doesn't googe all over my moulds. Ed