Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox

Thread: T/C Hawkin 45Cal value

Boolit Master

T/C Hawkin 45Cal value

Co-Worker of my brother is wanting to move a couple ML. This one is in rough shape, but shows promise. Bore looks ok, going to swab and get a bore scope to look at further. Stock has crack on left side oppisite the hammer. Also it appears this sat where water was able to go up butt of stock 3". Barrel itself has a couple small areas of light rust. I'm thinking $150, but want to hear what others think as I want to be fair. Will try and post pics later tonight. Going to post WTB RB's in classifieds as I would like to shoot before purchasing if I go that way.

Thanks for any advice,
    DWD
    Last edited by DeadWoodDan; 02-25-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Without seeing I would say $150 would be about right depending on how rough you mean. ML prices vary allot depending on the area you are in and time of year. This time of year not allot of people looking for them. Some areas have allot of MLs floating around so prices are cheap. Since it is a 45 and they are less common these days, and could be worth a little more. I'd say offer $100 and see if he takes it before offering $150. MLs are a little more forgiving and even a slightly rough bore may still shoot good.
    Aim small, miss small!

Keep in mind that, today, side hammer frontstuffers are in very much lesser demand among the general muzzleloading buying public than the latest/greatest plastic/fantastic inlines are.

Although YMMV, I would be loathe to pay more than $100 for a Hawken in that shape, today.

FWIW, five years ago, I paid the asking price of $100 (in a funshop) for this .45 T/C Seneca (13/16" barrel, as opposed to a Hawken 15/16" barrel).

It was/is in excellent condition, with zero rust/dings, and with the brass turned to the brownish patina I prefer for a hunting rifle.

(upper rifle, with my .36 Seneca)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Keep in mind that, today, side hammer frontstuffers are in very much lesser demand among the general muzzleloading buying public than the latest/greatest plastic/fantastic inlines are.

Although YMMV, I would be loathe to pay more than $100 for a Hawken in that shape, today.

FWIW, five years ago, I paid the asking price of $100 (in a funshop) for this .45 T/C Seneca (13/16" barrel, as opposed to a Hawken 15/16" barrel).

It was/is in excellent condition, with zero rust/dings, and with the brass turned to the brownish patina I prefer for a hunting rifle.

(upper rifle, with my .36 Seneca)

Try to buy one for that now ! A .45 Seneca barrel itself will cost you more than that .

OP ,

Not sure I would want the gun you mentioned ( as a shooter ) if it has really been standing in water for any length of time . If you can get it at $100 you could part it out and make money if the stock is bad .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master

It actually don't look too bad to me. Needs some TLC, especially the stock but the barrel don't look like it would take too much to fix up. Does this mean you have it now?
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    Yes, said we can keep it and try to give best estimate of what they are worth and what we would give him if we wanted it.
    Just by the look of the pan area, I really don't think it was shoot much.

Boolit Buddy
    I think 150-200. Is fair if the bore is good.

I was just looking at fleebay at used ML barrels ONLY. $150-200 for an entire rifle, even if it needs some tlc, is a great deal. Most of what I saw for barrels only started at $75 and went up over $200.

FWIW, I was outbid on a .50, no-name flintlock barrel that had the touch hole drilled at the bottom of the flat and it went for $80.14 The highest I would go was $80 because shipping was $20 but somebody jumped in with ~30 seconds left and outbid me by 14 cents. Such is life.

Boolit Buddy

A cracked and water damaged stock.
    How much does a replacement stock cost, plus the fitting and refinishing.
    That's where I'd start.

Looks like a parts gun to me. To much work, unless you just have to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley-Shooter View Post
    A cracked and water damaged stock.
    How much does a replacement stock cost, plus the fitting and refinishing.
    That's where I'd start.

Looks like a parts gun to me. To much work, unless you just have to have it.
    Lots of replacement T/C parts, including stocks, on fleebay right now...

Boolit Master
    If that wood in the stock is not too damaged & it is just the "finish", then re- finishing it would not be too expensive and be a nice & fun project for ya. Particularly if ya have a son or daughter, etc. to share the project with.

G'Luck! with whatever ya decide!

P.S. -About 20 years ago I bought a 12 gauge Mossberg pump from a guy who was in need of some cash & it had a cracked stock. Bought it cheap, & I took it home & duct taped it around the crack real tight & took it out for my oldest son to use duck/goose hunting that same weekend, figuring I would eventually just replace the stock. That shotgun killed a lot of ducks/geese & pheasant over the years & for some reason I never got around to replacing or repairing that stock. The original duct tape is still on it today.
    Just wanted to tell a story, I guess. Seems as though the older ya get, the more ya like to tell stories of more youth full days..

Once again.. G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    id pass on that trouble

Boolit Grand Master

I believe the stock can be repaired and since it is a cheap gun, I wouldn't worry about it being perfect. Gives it character. Barrel alone is worth the price of the gun.
    Aim small, miss small!

Moderator Emeritus

If you like projects like that, it's really a no brainer, Buy it...I think it's value is $150-$200 today.

If you're re-conditioning skills are weak (no offense meant, as I consider my own skills lacking in that department)...then I'd keep looking for a Nice example for $300 to $400. There was just a nice one in S&S that sold pretty quick, that I was drooling over.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

They don't make these anymore, people are buying them and selling them for 3-4 times what they paid. 150 is fair, Bobby Hoyt can re-bore for around 100 bucks,
    Nit Wit