WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry lever actions

Boolit Bub

Henry lever actions

I bought a Henry 327 carbine last fall for hunting. I am having issues with it and since this is my only Henry I am wondering if this is the norm. It is position sensitive when running the lever. I will post my response to my email from Henry. I just want to say I have Marlins and Rossi lever actions that do not have this problem. Hell I can even hold my 45/70 upside down and it will chamber a round. I would hate to have a big game rifle from Henry if this is the norm. This is the email response

<Thank you for owning a Henry rifle.

In some cases, levering technique can affect cartridge feeding in Henry rifles. They are designed to be cycled in a more or less level position, using a quick, fluid motion, through the full available stroke of the lever. Levering too slowly, short-stroking it, or with the rifle held at odd or extreme angles, can sometimes precipitate a jam.

This is normal for classic-style lever-action guns, provided that they are also functioning normally otherwise. There are no ‘fixes’ for this behavior that I am aware of, because it is inherent in the design. My old Marlin lever gun does the same thing.

Regards,

Jeffrey Post
    Technical Customer Service

Henry Repeating Arms, Co.
    59 East 1st Street
    Bayonne, NJ 07002

Tel. (201) 858-4400
    Fax (201) 858-4435

Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:59 PM
    To: jeff@henryusa.com
    Subject: Contact Message - Henry Repeating Arms

You have a received a message through the Henry Rifles Contact page:

Name: John

Message: I bought a Big Boy steel carbine ibn 327 federal. I am have a few jamming issues with it. I have found it to be position sensitive when running the lever. I don't want to be holding the barrel up more than maybe a 45 degree angle. Best is just horizontal. Also I can't have the rifle tilting to either side. I am pretty much having to keep the rifle horizontal and make sure it isn't tilting more than let's say it needs to be in 11:00 to 1:00 tilting sideways position. Hope this makes sense to you. Is this normal? I am using it as my predator rifle, so I really don't want to send it in right now. But I am wondering if we can do something about it being so position sensitive while running the lever?

Thank you
    John >

Moderator Emeritus

I have a similar Henry rifle, with no issues as you are experiencing. However, a few levers (a 336 Marlin & '94 Winnie) and, through the years, have noted some to be AMMUNITION SELECTIVE. Yes -- we're "smart enough" to not try pointed bulleted cartridges for fear of the bullet point igniting the primer of the round ahead of it in the magazine. The ubiquitous .30-30 WCF, '32 Win Sp., and others have most choices with this in mind. On the other hand, the .327 Federal seems to come in three configurations of factory ammunition.
    My thoughts are that you try a different ammo than you've been experiencing problems with. Even if you purchase another box or two of commercial ammo, it'll be cheaper than just the postage to/from New Jersey. Or, perhaps using cast bullets similar to those used in the .30-30 family of levers.
    If these function 100% -- problem solved, and then you have the fun challenge of selecting other bullets which will feed OK.
    Interestingly, one of the REAL beauties of the lever action is it is truly the only one-arm-necessary rifle, enabling reloading and firing one on horseback, with the reins in one hand and the rifle in the other -- without a care of the firearm's position, OR, fear of a feeding issue.
    I'd not be too surprised that if you changed your ammunition, your difficulties will vanish. I'm quite disappointed Henry did not offer a brand/type ammo which functions for them as a possible solution.
    BEST!
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 02-25-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Boolit Master

I am experiencing the exact symptoms that you are describing. I have accepted it's feeding shortcomings for what they are, design issues. If kept in a vertical position it feeds fine .327/.32 mag/.32 S&W L and it hasn't any problem with any profile as of date. The problem I have is the failure to fire at the rate of 1 for every ten or so. I was told by the factory that the gun wasn't chambered for .32 S&W Long and that was my problem, they failing to recognize that it occurred in .32 Mag and .327 with the same frequency and which this was pointed out to them at the same time. It's a plinker and I have wanted a repeater that I could shoot .32 Mag and I have one.......But if an alternative should come along, I will dump it in a heart beat.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Concerning the fail to fire anomaly, I would check for burrs in the hammer slot and also deburr the firing pin and ways in the bolt. That behavior indicates something slowing down the primer strike. Perhaps a short firing pin?

Boolit Master

Your absolutely correct as what is likely causing misfires, haven't taken the time to do a proper diagnosis. Didn't want come off sounding like a complainer. I was pretty lukewarm towards Henry's before I bought this one, and it was probably a case of "They all look prettier at closing time" since there wasn't and isn't any likelihood of anyone else offering the same caliber in a repeater. On the plus side, it is very accurate and it does handle a variety of bullet profiles.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    I am experiencing the exact symptoms that you are describing. I have accepted it's feeding shortcomings for what they are, design issues. If kept in a vertical position it feeds fine .327/.32 mag/.32 S&W L and it hasn't any problem with any profile as of date. The problem I have is the failure to fire at the rate of 1 for every ten or so. I was told by the factory that the gun wasn't chambered for .32 S&W Long and that was my problem, they failing to recognize that it occurred in .32 Mag and .327 with the same frequency and which this was pointed out to them at the same time. It's a plinker and I have wanted a repeater that I could shoot .32 Mag and I have one.......But if an alternative should come along, I will dump it in a heart beat.
    I haven't had any misfire. but then I have only shot 327

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I have a similar Henry rifle, with no issues as you are experiencing. However, a few levers (a 336 Marlin & '94 Winnie) and, through the years, have noted some to be AMMUNITION SELECTIVE. Yes -- we're "smart enough" to not try pointed bulleted cartridges for fear of the bullet point igniting the primer of the round ahead of it in the magazine. The ubiquitous .30-30 WCF, '32 Win Sp., and others have most choices with this in mind. On the other hand, the .327 Federal seems to come in three configurations of factory ammunition.
    My thoughts are that you try a different ammo than you've been experiencing problems with. Even if you purchase another box or two of commercial ammo, it'll be cheaper than just the postage to/from New Jersey. Or, perhaps using cast bullets similar to those used in the .30-30 family of levers.
    If these function 100% -- problem solved, and then you have the fun challenge of selecting other bullets which will feed OK.
    Interestingly, one of the REAL beauties of the lever action is it is truly the only one-arm-necessary rifle, enabling reloading and firing one on horseback, with the reins in one hand and the rifle in the other -- without a care of the firearm's position, OR, fear of a feeding issue.
    I'd not be too surprised that if you changed your ammunition, your difficulties will vanish. I'm quite disappointed Henry did not offer a brand/type ammo which functions for them as a possible solution.
    BEST!
    geo
    I shoot round nose and semi wad cutters, doesn't matter. It is as if the gun was designed for a fatter round and the 327 just rolls to the side and will not chamber. Twice I have held the rifle pointing up and ran the lever. The round slipped down into the trigger area. What a ***** to get the round out in the field. I like the gun. I bought a Skinner sight and used the gun for a calling gun this winter. I just would like to know if there was a fix for the position sensitivity. I sure wouldn't recommend this gun, and will not buy another Henry. I will keep this gun because, it is the only game in town for this caliber and it is accurate. worse case I miss a raccoon, fox or coyote.

Boolit Master

If I am understanding you correctly, your problem is failure to FEED, correct?

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Bub
    That is correct. everything comes out of the tube OK. The problem occurs some where between, being released from the tube, and being chambered. I feel like the lifter doesn't have control over it. (Just an opinion) it seems as if the shell just lays on the lifter and any degree off of being horizontal lets the shell roll around and miss its mark. It is like the gun should have been scaled down more for the caliber, or some guides added to keep the shell in position.

Are you using reloads or factory ammo.
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl52 View Post
    Are you using reloads or factory ammo.
    I use reloads for hunting with it. It seems to like 115 to 120 grain best. I used both coated and regular lubed. I have also used factory American Eagle, but it doesn't seem to do as well in the accuracy dept. I generally run around 1200 fps. I have no reason to push it harder. Just is to loud with top end loads. When I use it for calling I stay in the swamps and woods, so shots are usually under 100 yards.

I have a P87 that has similar issues feeding haven’t had time to smooth up anything and it being 12GA I may not have many choices but I’ve noticed similar things with both of my 92 Rossi’s. Honestly haven’t been able to go shoot my Henry enough to recall it is the smoothest lever gun in my safe though sorry your having issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I have the exact same 327 federal Henry carbine, and don't have any real problems. The only thing is that it will not feed when pointing straight up. Tilting it to either side, it feeds fine. I've been using SWC bullets, which kind of catch on the top, inside of the chamber. I've never tried a jacketed bullet, and I'm seating my cast to an OAL of 1.525". Besides me fiddling around, I can only remember a couple fail to feeds, and they were related to the bullet catching inside the chamber, not the lifter. It can get strange if you really baby a cartridge in, but I can run the lever slow or super fast, and it works either way. My only issues with the gun, are the very limited OAL you can run, about 1.53", and the other is it can be tricky to quickly single load through the side. I will say I have noticed the same thing about the lifter, in that it does seem a like it doesn't get a great hold of the cartridge.

Boolit Master
    On my specimen, if I open the action slowly to catch the spent cartridge, yet, deflect it back into the action with the muzzle up, the rim will indeed slip between the bolt and receiver. What makes this especially aggravating is that if you point the muzzle down to shake out the brass, the bolt moves forward just enough to trap the case! It's not a big deal to me, now that I know to shake out the empty with the mussel up so gravity will hold the bolt back. I've had no/0 FTF with pistol or rifle primers and it cycles a bunch of different loads through it, even wad cutters in 32 H&R brass. I'm going to try and cycle mine muzzle up and report back.

Boolit Master
    I took the 327 Henry out back before dark and ran some rounds through it with the barrel at various upward angles while cycling in the next round. I had 0 failures to feed as long as I worked the action quickly, I did get the rim over jam once while working the action slowly. I didn't try gangster or standing on my head. Not a big deal for me.

A couple of my Henrys are OAL sensitive. You might play with that and see if it changes. Bullet design will also effect it some what. Myself I dont think SWC are a good bullet for a lever. TC and RNFP work better. But thats just my opinion YMMV. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

I guess Lucas McCain wouldn't like a Henry lever action.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    If you run it like ole Lucas, ye ain't gonna have problems.

How many of you hold the rifle straight up, or on its side when you work the lever? I haven't even thought about trying it. I was educated not to do that with any lever gun. Why not just hold it properly....horizontal, and work the lever quickly? Wouldn't that solve your problem?

Curious.... do you hold you bolt guns straight up, or on their sides when you work the bolt?

Boolit Master
    I have had the same issue with both Winchester and Marlin pistol-caliber carbines. I learned to keep them horizontal, lever-side down, and work the lever with alacrity!
    Loren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast