Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: mauser stripper clips

Banned

mauser stripper clips

finally tried stripper clips in a mauser. Worked well, only issue I had was a lot of knicks on the brass, on the inside edge of the extractor groove.

Is that a common "curse" of the clip or something that can be mitigated?

Boolit Master
    Mauser clips are made for specific rounds, in general. Using a clip for 7mm may not work well in 8mm, that kind of thing. Or they could work well.

I tried some 7mm Chilean clips in a couple different clip fed boltguns to no avail.

I'd perhaps expect to find scratches or scrapes where the cases passed through the lips of the clips, but not nicks. Nicks would make me think that perhaps they were caused by the extractor. You can find out by running some unfired brass through the clips without actually firing it and then examine to see if the nicks are present. You could also examine the clips you are using to see if they are rough and have burrs.

Boolit Master

You should not see nicks from clips, more like liner scuffs or scratches, like Der G said look at the extractor.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master

Stripper clips do come in various sizes. Specifically the Swedes clips are different from the ‘03 clips and I believe the ‘09 and ‘91 Argentines are different. The ‘98 Mauser clips vary also between country of origin.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I just use them to carry extra ammo in my pocket when hunting with any .473" base cartridge. I do know that the steel Yugoslav ones are much better than the brass Turkish ones. But they were always meant to be thrown clear by the closing of the bolt and left behind in battle.

Banned
    using Swedish ones for a 24/47. will look at playing with the clips again and checking for damage on fresh ammo.

Boolit Master

I have a medium flat rate box of stripper clips. Mostly the nickel/chrome ones. Some brass and blued ones too. The blued ones work great in my FR8 and the rest work in my K98 and Yugo 8MM Mauser.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    Swedish clips will work just fine in US M1903 and M1917 rifles, and are reusable while the US clips with the spring loaded end tabs are not very reusable. They don't work in any of my other rifles, I have a bunch of DWM clips for my Argie 1909s, Brazil 1908, Yugo 24/27 and my FN-49. The Swede clips are wider and have 2 guide bumps per side compared to three per side on the DWM. The Swedes are too wide to fit any of the my non Swedish or US rifles, and the DWM are too skinny to solidly seat in the Swede and US rifles.

Standard Mauser 11mm (.473) case heads will fit in either, the clips not fitting the rifles is the problem. Interestingly, 7.5x55 Swiss will fit in the Swedish clips, albeit pretty tightly, but are too wide to squeeze into the DWM clips.

I guess I'm used to my Garands trashing rims so much that I have never noticed any marking from stripper clips on brass when reloading them.

Banned
    well ya got to understand, using strippers you are sliding metal on metal and some scratching or scraping is unavoidable due to the nature of the critter.. this was never a problem that needed to be fixed because the military was not interested in saving the brass for reloading anyway and it was just left lying in the dirt where it fell.. the brass stripper are softer and will not gouge as bad as the steel ones but will still do it to an extent.. just make sure you are pushing the cartridges as close to the case head as you can so they will feed straight or the cartridges will try to cam into the stripper clips and will tear up the brass more.. the only other option is to load the rounds one at a time if you don't want any scratches.

and the Swedish Mauser strippers ought to work just fine in the 19O3 Springfield. Springfield Armory ripped off the Mauser design and was actually sued after the war by the Mauser gun works and lost the case due to patent infringement and was forced to pay Mauser $3,000,000.

They Yugoslavian 8mm Surplus Ammo comes 15 rounds to the box with 3 stripper Clips inside. You should try a box of those for your 24/7.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Stripper clips are just sheet metal that's punched out, bent into shape & boxed. Knock the edges off them, they aren't needed. A little deburring goes a long way [as in Springfield Armory invented vibratory tumbling as a means of knocking the burrs off the en-bloc clips for the M1 Garand. At least, that's the way I heard the story...]