Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Hardness

Boolit Mold

Hardness

Hey everyone I just joined and I am getting stuff together to try my hand at casting boolits. I have a question concerning hardness. Can anyone give me a ball park Brinell hardness if you mix clip on wheel weights to pure lead evenly. Like 10 pounds of wheel weights to 10 pounds of pure lead? I will be coating my boolits and will be casting 124 grain 9 mm and 230 grain 45 acp. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Boolit Master
    current wheel weights with straight lead 50/50, 8-9 BHN. Probably a bit soft for 9mm ok for 45 acp.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    current wheel weights with straight lead 50/50, 8-9 BHN. Probably a bit soft for 9mm ok for 45 acp.
    Thanks! What would be a good ratio for the 9 mm?

I use straight clip on wheel weights for modern weapons (.30 rifles and .45ACP's) and pure for all my black powder weapons. Seems to work fine for me for general shooting out to 100 yards. I have never checked for BHN. YMMV

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    WW alloy is typically what I use for handgun boolits. I only use 50/50 or 60/40 straight lead to wheel weight for 45 acp hollowpoints. Although if you are trying to conserve alloy and you are not coating bullets you could try 50/50 and water quench for the 9mm.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had no problems using 50/50 co/soft mix for all of my .380, 9mm, 38,44,45, hollow points. I use a 75% clip on/ 25% soft for mag h.p. loads. I also do not hot rod them, two holes, one in and one out, has done the trick on all of the deer I've taken, with a 44mag handgun.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford

Boolit Mold
    RobS, I will be coating using super coat and will not be loading to max. Just looking to target shoot and plink steel with.

Boolit Master
    I see then water quenching is out. Your pistols will tell you what works and what doesn't. You can always start softer and work toward harder alloy or visa versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Welderduck View Post
    RobS, I will be coating using super coat and will not be loading to max. Just looking to target shoot and plink steel with.

Boolit Grand Master

Welderduck, you can water quench your coated bullets after coating to increase the hardness if needed. I have done this many times for various reasons. You can also heat treat the bullets in an oven and water quench between coatings to help maintain the hardness.
    If only water quenching after the last coat the hardness will take longer to be achieved and usually to a lower bhn. Should work fine for pistol loads.

Boolit Grand Master

In a few of us, hardness is a state of mind. For most of us, hardness is overrated unless HP expansion or penetration is the desired effect. Among the rest of us it doesn't matter except with magnum loads.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Welderduck View Post
    Hey everyone I just joined and I am getting stuff together to try my hand at casting boolits. I have a question concerning hardness. Can anyone give me a ball park Brinell hardness if you mix clip on wheel weights to pure lead evenly. Like 10 pounds of wheel weights to 10 pounds of pure lead? I will be coating my boolits and will be casting 124 grain 9 mm and 230 grain 45 acp. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Welderduck,
    welcome to the forum.
    I moved your thread to this section, I hope you find all the answers to your questions.

My personal opinion, I would suggest to just start out with casting for your 45acp. The 50-50 alloy will be about as good as it gets for that caliber. Once you have some success with that, then try casting for 9mm. There are some pitfalls with the 9mm...spend some time reading about the 9mm and you'll have a head start.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-in-a-new-9mm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    I use roughly 50/50 mix of WW and Pure lead for making my 22lr.

Banned