Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Credit card

Boolit Grand Master

Credit card

As of today, not using my NRA credit card.
    I'm sure it will take some time for them to find another company.
    So it looks like I'm going to need a different credit card.
    Something with cash back.
    I don't use it much, but I need to have one.
    I pay it off every time I get the statement.
    Must be pro firearms.
    Any suggestions?????

Boolit Buddy
    I'm happy with USAA. I've had an account with them for about a year. The only problem is to deposit cash I have to put it in a local bank then transfer to USAA. Their customer service has been great.

Shelly
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master

As additional intel, smart phone banking apps allow deposits made with photos of checks taken with the phone camera. Works from anywhere.

I've used this feature only once, with my credit union account, but it worked flawlessly and the funds were available immediately. I just opened my USAA app to check and confirm that it also offers this ability for my USAA checking account.

Boolit Grand Master

Good luck finding one. Any card from BOA is off the list. Your best bet is to find one w/ the best rewards plan. If you don't use it much and pay off the balance monthly the company is making practically nothing off of you.

All the cards I would recommend carry high yearly fees. They're for business travelers and the yearly fees are worth it in comparison to the benefits you receive.

Boolit Master
    I just got a Capital One card, $150 back if you spend $500 in the first 3 months and like 1.5% back on all purchases.

As always use it as a tool and pay it off every month. We play the credit card game but don't carry a balance. My wife's discover gives us 5% back on groceries every once in a while. My Cabelas card gives me 2% back to be used on Cabelas purchases. We had a United airline card that we used enough to get free air fare for my brother in laws wedding last year.

Again we don't carry a balance on anything we use them until we get what we want and then generally cancel the card.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    Wouldn't call USAA pro firearm. They were one of the companies in Texas that prohibited its employees from storing firearms in there vehicles until a state law was passed prohibiting the practice. They also have the legally required Texas signage to prohibit concealed carry posted at their locations.
    If you look through their corporate pages, it's pretty clear that they are a pretty progressive company, e.g. gender identity or expression is included in part of their diversity model.
    Oh, also they have clearly expressed that they will continue their role as the Official Military Appreciation Sponsor of the NFL and run ads in spite of a backlash from members.
    Contrary to how many perceive the military as pro gun, I've seen that senior and very senior ranks don't seem to have those same beliefs, and those are same types that are on corporate boards for USAA.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

nerdwallet.com, they rank cards by perks and show you all the details in contrast to each card. FYI- you're best to hold one card for a long time and then keep others coming and going. KEEP A BALANCE on it, they don't report your credit unless you have a line of credit out. Paying 13% on a $30 balance is worth the credit rating. Get a high credit limit, you can buy a car or what not and then pay off the balance so you get the rewards. Some rewards can be as much as $500 if you play the game right.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/top-...-credit-cards/

Boolit Master
    If you don't use it much and pay off the balance monthly the company is making practically nothing off of you.
    That's not how it works. They make about 3-4% every time you use the card.....from the seller. Getting anything from the user is just a bonus.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    As of today, not using my NRA credit card.
    I'm sure it will take some time for them to find another company.
    So it looks like I'm going to need a different credit card.
    Something with cash back.
    I don't use it much, but I need to have one.
    I pay it off every time I get the statement.
    Must be pro firearms.
    Any suggestions?????
    Wait until you get the promotion in the mail from NRA, then make to move. My bet is that there will be some bank out there that wants the NRA members departing first bankcard. It's all about the money.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Wait until you get the promotion in the mail from NRA, then make to move. My bet is that there will be some bank out there that wants the NRA members departing first bankcard. It's all about the money.
    I might just do that. Just can't make any mail orders until it happens.
    No telling how long that might take.

Boolit Grand Master
    Still searching for a credit card.
    I've always had visa.
    Are some of the new cards like citi and capital one the samething????

Boolit Buddy
    Not sure about their stance on guns, but AMEX blue cash preferred has pretty good reward setup. Mine has a 75$ fee but have seen commercials recently that they now have no fee, so not sure, would have to check. But they have 6% back on groceries up to 6k i believe then 1% after that. 3% for gas and 1% for all else. I think they do 3% for department stores also, but i dont usually shop at department stores. I buy a lot of groceries and drive a lot so the 6 and 3 back on that adds up quick.

Boolit Master

Still searching for a credit card.
    Poke around on the web for card comparison sites such as nerd wallet etc. Many advantages to different cards such as cash back, extending warranties an additional year for items purchased on the card, buyer protection, etc. I use my card for everything, even buying a cup of coffee but I pay it off every month. If you have good credit and the self control to pay it off every month I think you are at a disadvantage not having a card.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

In Remembrance
    The same bank that is dumping the NRA card, backs something like 30 someodd cards. It is a good chance that you are supporting the bank through one of your other cards. From what I understand they are the ones behind the Alaska airlines card, which is heavily used around here, I know some that have ditched it this past few days, and calls are goingout for Alaska airlines to change banks.

Boolit Master

You could get a CABELA'S visa card. Not cash back but points for merchandise at Cabela's. I used to get all of my powder and primers there paid for with points I had accumulated which means I paid nothing.

Boolit Grand Master
    I was looking at the Cabala's card.
    We don't have one here.
    No cash back.
    but might be worth another look.

I sent NRA an email asking them who they might recommend.
    Also what the time line might be for a new card provider.
    Last edited by abunaitoo; 03-03-2018 at 07:41 PM.

Boolit Master
    I called the NRA member support number yesterday. The woman I talked to said they didn't have a new provider yet, but would send a notice out when they do get one. She had no idea how long that would take.

Boolit Buddy
    After reading this I realized my Scheels credit card is thru First Bankcard... bummer. I may look for something with actual cash back instead of in-store credit I suppose. It’s my only card so not really sure what’s all out there; time for some research. -Brad

Boolit Master
    When the NRA gets a new backer I might switch over. Not upset with my current card provider but want to make sure I can help those who help us. If I were in a "get it now" mood you can be sure I would NOT get a Capital One card. Several years ago Capital One was offering lucrative air miles programs to their card holders. They bragged about no blackout dates, no limits on using the program to obtain travel tickets. Both SWMBO and I used our cards to boost our points as we were preparing for travel from TN to Hawaii and that isn't cheap. All was well until we tried to redeem the points for travel tickets. We heard more excuses to be denied our travel requests than a child getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar. After exhausting discussions with the card company we secured travel and made the travel (my cousin's husband was celebrating his 60th birthday). We had a delightful time, returned home and promptly switched card carriers. We left Capital One in the dust and never looked back, and still won't.

Boolit Grand Master

I can tell you that almost all of that was due to the airlines. They're the ones that set the blackout dates. I have hundreds of thousands of miles and find it very hard to use them. Same for the regional and global upgrades that I have. The airlines suck when it comes to loyalty programs. And they get worse every year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast