RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Venison Roast

Banned

Venison Roast

We eat a lot of venison. I'll admit to not being the best cook around, comes from being raised in a big family where we ate pretty plain and you couldn't afford to be real picky. As such, I never had much luck cooking venison roasts and had all but stopped trying years ago (we eat a lot of ground, stews, swiss and chicken fried steaks). This year, I decided I was going to try them again and since I butchered out both of mine myself this year, I broke down the hind quarters of the big buck I killed into roasts.

I have now tried this recipe twice. The first time, I tried to do the real cooking in a crock pot and apparently didn't do it long enough, the flavor was good, just kind of tough and dry like venison roasts had always turned out for me. The next time, I followed it to the letter with one exception; something came up and the family wasn't gonna be together that evening for supper, so I left it in the pot in the fridge for a couple of days until we could sit down and eat it, that might have helped. Wife re-heated it and made some brown rice and green beans. Easily the best venison roast I ever had, at least that I have done myself.

http://http://www.geniuskitchen.com/...he-round-88187

Boolit Master

I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Moderator Emeritus

I always did them in a 275 oven until tender. I have a fat larding needle so I stuffed them with strips of bacon.

Boolit Grand Master

Make your favorite dry rub, rub the roast. Let sit overnight while you go out and buy some thick bacon. Lay at least one layer of bacon on the roast - smoke for 6 to 8 hours depending on the size of the roast. Get it hot enough that the bacon fat runs through the meat. That's the secret.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

https://belleofthekitchen.com/2016/0...ppi-pot-roast/

Best roast ever. Try it you’ll like it! Venison or beef.

Banned

The recipe says not to add any liquid to that one, will that work for venison? Seems like it would be awfully dry.

Banned

want an easy one. take a chunk of venison throw it in your crock pot all day or your pressure cooker for 2 hours. All you need to add is one large cream of mushroom soup, one pack lipton dry onion soup mix and about a cup of water. What I do is pressure cook it for an hour. Let it cool so I can open the lid and toss in potatoes and carrots and cook another hour. Easy and it doesn't get any better. Cool thing with a pressure cooker is you can even start with a frozen roast. When I do that I just add another 1/2 hour to the first cooking. Probably not even necessary though. Ive found the pressure cooker at least to me is even better then a crock pot. Its almost like the pressure pushes the flavor into the meat.

I always cook them in the crock pot, over night with taters and carrots. I fill the pot with water, and they are always tender for me that way.

Boolit Master

I do mine in a cast iron stew pot in the oven with lots of garlic and onion. I put about 2 cups of water in it, plus whatever seasoning I want. I cook it at 180-200 for about 6 hours. Fork tender. Dad had an electric Mr. Smoker with the water pan. He would take and debone the roast and then pack the cavity with onion and garlic tops along with beef fat. Put it on the bottom rack and on the top rack he would have 2 chickens. Plug the smoker in about 6 in the morning and take it all off about 5 in the afternoon. As I remember, temp was about 180 or so. Again, best smoked venison and chicken I ever ate.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

These are all cook it til it breaks down methods an other way with venison is to barely cook it.

Food borne pathogens are a much smaller risk in venison than in almost any other meat, allowing us to leave it rather rare. Thinking of a venison roast as even safer and healthier than beef London Broil instead of a pot roast, solves both the tough and the dry issues.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Moderator Emeritus

Hot smoke at 350 until it reaches 135 internal, let rest, thin slice for sandwiches...