Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: 8x56R hungrian steyr

Boolit Buddy

8x56R hungrian steyr

I couldn't find any bullets for the thing(s),I have 3 that work and are shootable. I had to get a Lee .338 mold and a Lee sizing die to get them down to about .334 or .335. I tried plane base and powder coated them. they worked pretty good without gas checks. but I just finnished a batch of bullets with gas checks. and with powder coat their running about .335 to .336 dia. and yes. I slugged the barrels and the best one is .332. I have two rifles and two carbines but shooting factory ammo is a no,no in these things. I put a long eye relieve scope on the rifle that im using and it works fairly well. ten gr's of red dot or trail boss works with these bullets. they weight about 240gr.s or so with pure lead. more later on a less windy day.
    any one else playing with these things.

Boolit Buddy
    Size the bullets to .338 dia. They will fit the throat of your m95 just fine. Gas check and lube
    with BLL. I use 11 grs of 700x in my rifle, no leading at all. 10 grs of RD should work well
    also. Don't worry about the bore dia. which will run from .330 to 336. Just fit to throat and
    you should be OK.
    webfoot10

Webbfoot, yes I also use the 338" Lee's, years ago I mentioned this to D.V.Eagan (whose Nose-pour molds I love)he was afraid that I would blow up the rifle, I should have sent him some of the groups I shot, Fivefang

Boolit Buddy
    My Lee bullet seating die won't take a .338 bullet. I plugged the barrels and I can use something like .332 to .336 dia. bullets. which is about where i at now. but ;I have two more of these things to play with. I'm just trying to get a load that works in one or two of them and then I'll branch out. I was the guy that started with 19gr's of red dot a while back. where was a bunch of recoil with that load! my next batch will be 11 gr's of RD or trail boss.

not sure how lee dies are set-up but I would try swapping a 35 cal stem to your die from another. If that wont fit, try using a larger die body to seat with. We are not talking benchrest shooting here im pretty sure. If the boolit is a rnfp you shouldnt have any issues.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Buddy
    my .338 bullets are sized down to .334-5 and I've got loads loaded from10 gr's of RD to 11gr's. 11gr's of trailboss to 12 gr's of TB. if the weather holds i"ll try these loads out tomorrow. I'm using the Lee dripper system. and measuring each load. If I can get 2 inch groups at 100yards I'll be a very happy camper. my rifle is marked 1903, the carbines are not marked for a year. and one or two of them are cut down rifles(you can tell by the rear sight. the rifle rear sight is a lot bigger than the carbine's. and yes. all bullets are now powder coated and gaschecked. about 27gr's or so.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lee dies myself, and don't have any trouble seating .338 bullets in my cases.
    My rifle will shoot into 3in at 100 yds with the open sights and the two carbines will all
    most do the same, about 4 in at 100 yds. But a scope and a little trigger work would
    help to improve those groups I'm sure. Are you sizing to .338 after powder coating your
    bullets? If not the powder coating could be causing your seating problem.
    webfoot10

Boolit Buddy
    HI webfoot10, Actually I haven't tried the .338 bullet in the rifles yet. I did several years ago but not with this set of dies. but i slugged the barrels and I'm thinking the .334 even powder coated will work fairly well???. I even left the gas check off a few powder coated bullets and they(after I got pass the "cold" barrel on my rifle) seem to work pretty good. the first shot or two with a cold barrel are not very close to the group after the barrel gets warmed up. I had the same thing with a 6.8spc AR upper that I had. (and yes, it gone now).

Boolit Buddy
    pakmc, Do a poundcast of your chamber to see what the size really is. Also read the sticky above
    on bullet and chamber fit. The .334 bullet powder should chamber just find. But I'll bet that your
    chamber throat will mike out over .338. Mine were .340 and one .341. So you could fit a powder
    coated bullet in your case if it didn't expan the case neck over the chamber size. I use two coats
    of BLL and size to .338. But I've loaded some at .340 and had no problem. A hard lead bullet
    well lubed will swedge through the barrel with no leading. I just use these guns for fun, as I don't
    get around to good anymore. And have a lot of freetime to play.
    webfoot10

Boolit Grand Master

The throat of my Lee seat die was too small. I sent it and a couple of the Frankenstein boolits to Lee and they opened it up for free.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I shot the hungrian steyrs today(one rifle and one carbine) the loads i had worked in either gun. the first bullets where 227gr. 338 bullets resized to .334 and paint coated not gas checked. they worked just fine and at 50 yards where pretty accurate this was with 10 gr's of red dot. the next load was 11gr's of reddot and was pretty accurate. the next load was 11gr's of trail boss and 12 gr's of TB and they worked(read that, where accurate) any of the above loads worked just find and where accurate(all bullets where powder coated.with gas checks.)
    the RD loads ran about 1050fps to about 1150fps or so. the trail boss where just a little bit slower, but it was a good shoot. now I need to load up some more and start at 100 yards. yes, I used a crony!