MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Easy Mode Range Day

Boolit Master

Easy Mode Range Day

Today I decided to shoot for pure pleasure. No drills, no pressure, no recoil. Just fun.

For a job like this I need the simplest cheapest rifle I have. A good ol' Handi in .308 Win. Can't get much simpler than a single shot rifle. Easy to operate, easy to clean.

My boolit was a Lee cast with a light charge. No flinching, no sore shoulder. I used a cheap plastic rest at 50 yards and fired all 40 rounds I brought with me. They stayed in 2" groups, which isn't good for a better rifle with a better cartridge and a better shooter, but it was a lot of fun for me.

He's a crappy picture of the boolit chucker.

Boolit Master
    I like it. But then I'm one that likes single shots..... I have a #1 30-06 A.I. and a Handi rifle in 30/30.
    I did have a Handi in .270 and another #1 in 7mm Rem Mag. Had a Savage S/S in .308 to shoot paper with, too heavy to carry around in the woods. It was very accurate. Plus an Encore pistol with a 30-06, 22-250, and .454 Casull barrel. I dunno what happened to the .270, the others got sold or traded.....fool that I am......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Topper 158 combo .30-30 & 20 ga walked in my door 4 days ago.
    Owner walked away with 3 times what the pawn shop offered him.

We were both happy.

Scope base got installed, new Truglo 2x Red Dot sight installed, waiting to take it to the range this afternoon. Got a new shooting partner/neighbor. Will check them both out.

Gun was laid across a chair, sighted across the kitchen floor to boresight the barrel. Adjusted Red Dot to hit aprox 1 " above that point. Close enough to get me on paper at 25 yards. Then we'll start reaching out farther.

And so the 20 ga barrel does not feel neglected I have a .45 acp to 20 ga chamber adapter, 16" to play with also.

Lots of fun.

Boolit Grand Master

Nuttin wrong with Handi-Rifles. I got one in '91 in .223 Rem. I did a lot or research about "accurizing" a Handi-Rifle and am able to get 11/2"grps @ 50 yds with my bad old eyes. The only thing "wrong" with mine is it has a 1-12 rifling twist which limits me to under 52 gr. bullets...

I got a barrel in 30-30 and did some shooting with pointy bullets (150 gr. A-Max) and did quite well...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    Today I decided to shoot for pure pleasure. No drills, no pressure, no recoil. Just fun.

For a job like this I need the simplest cheapest rifle I have. A good ol' Handi in .308 Win. Can't get much simpler than a single shot rifle. Easy to operate, easy to clean.

My boolit was a Lee cast with a light charge. No flinching, no sore shoulder. I used a cheap plastic rest at 50 yards and fired all 40 rounds I brought with me. They stayed in 2" groups, which isn't good for a better rifle with a better cartridge and a better shooter, but it was a lot of fun for me.

He's a crappy picture of the boolit chucker.

I like it. I would own if I ever found a decent deal on one. Every time in my area I find one for sale I can grab a bolt action for the same price.

Boolit Grand Master
    Handi's have become crazy expensive in these parts. My Ruger American cost me less than the last handi I saw for sale. I wanted to buy one in 22 Hornet, but fumbled around until they were no longer available.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    It took me a while to shoot 40 rounds. With a battle rifle you can go through that many rounds in 10 seconds. A single shot rifle is kind of a zen experience.

The brass had no dings, no extractor marks and I could place each one beside me. So no running around. The light loading made for easy resizing too.

I dressed this one up with a Boyd stock and put a cheap Nikon scope on it. It's got a factory action job too. I threw it in when I made a second .223 barrel for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    It took me a while to shoot 40 rounds. With a battle rifle you can go through that many rounds in 10 seconds. A single shot rifle is kind of a zen experience.

The brass had no dings, no extractor marks and I could place each one beside me. So no running around.
    Nice Handi. These are the reasons why I fight off the urge to own a semi-auto centerfire rifle.

Well I burned 20 rounds of .30-30 ammo today but she's hitting plumb dead center where I want at 50. Next time we'll see about stretching her legs out a bit.

I also fired 5 rounds of .45 acp through a 16" chamber adapter in the 20 ga barrel.

At 25 yards my first one hit dead center. None of the other 4 I fired touched paper. LOL so it goes.

Meantime my new shooting buddy gave my Hipoint .45acp carbine a workout. He had them all hitting the 2" bullseye at 50 which is just fine with me.

We then went on to shoot

Hipoint C9 9mm pistol, Ruger Mk III 22/45 with a Red Dot sight. (clear accuracy winner of all the pistols) Both the H&R revolvers in .32SW long. Blackie did good, nickie did better, but still has room for improvement.

Ended up with the Heritage Rough Rider shooting .22mag.
    This was my first try with the loud ones in this pistol. She just turned herself into my new #2 girl.
    I don't know what it is but those .22mags while loud went right where I pointed them. At 20 feet I had 12 inside a pop can sized group.

My longest range session in several years, almost 3 hours worth. Snowing like crazy, hardly see the road but we came home safe and happy.

Glad you had a good range day with your single shot and light loads.
    It is a lot of fun.
    I love to lob 280 gr. boolits loaded with a bit of unique at the 100 yd. range.
    My 35 whelen Encore just sits on the shooting bag like nothing at all happened when i pull the trigger lol.

My brother shoots the same load in his 35 whelen h&r. Almost don't need ear protection shooting that load...almost.
    As you say...no sore shoulder!

Boolit Master

There's alot to be said about an easy day. I used to take 4 or 5 firearms with me to shoot, now I take maybe 2.

Of course, I can shoot out behind the barn, about 250 feet from my back door. But, It's an uphill trek from the 'range' back to the house....