Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Lee 357 FCD not carbide modifying

Boolit Mold

Lee 357 FCD not carbide modifying

Anyone ever shorten a Lee 357 mag. FCD (not carbide) to work for 38 spl?
    It seems if die body and collet insert were made shorter by the difference in length between 357 and 38 this should work.
    I happen to have 2 of the 357 dies and I don't see a 38 spl FCD (non carbide) listed by Lee.
    Thanks for any information.
    Herb'03

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I don't see why you couldn't. I shortened my first set of Pacific 44 mag, dies (the expander die) to use with my first 44, a S&W frankengun in 44 special. took some work with a Dremil tool but it worked and still does after 40 years. Back in the day, most companies made dies in both 44mag and 44 special and 38 special and 357 mag. As you know, most now just make the shorter die and give/sell you a washer to put under it to make it useful for the longer case. I think if you take off a little at a time until it works you should be good to go.

Hello burt8810,

I converted a LEE FCD from 44-40 to 44 Colt.
    You would need to remove about 0.135" from the collet,
    might need a new collet.
    Also might need to remove some material from base of Die.
    Link shows how I did it for the 44 Colt, attached pdf file.

http://1858remington.com/discuss/ind...ic,8675.0.html

AntiqueSledMan

Vendor Sponsor

I also mod these Lee collet crimp dies so they work properly. The crimp band needs to be narrower, and it needs to be brought down so it only crimps the case mouth and not the boolit too. Here is a thread with photos detailing my mods for these dies. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2239315

If shortening the collet leaves too narrow a solid ring, the slots may need to be welded up a bit. I have one in 45 Colt that I want to shorten for 45 Schofield but the slots will then be fairly long and it would need welding to maintain the integrity of the collet. This is the downside to shortening these dies. Modding them to work like I do makes them work great but shortening an existing die opens a new can of worms.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

burt8810,

You did mention you had an extra 357 FCD, anyone else wanting to crimp a 38 Special should look at Bernie's modified shell holder and a 35 Remington FCD. Old West Bullet Molds. Of course a 357 could be crimped on a FCD modified for 38 Special with a spacer set on the shell holder, around the case to make the die crimp in the right spot.

DougGuy,

Very nice job, I think I looked that one over before I made my 44 Colt setup.
    I read lots of posts on modifying the Lee Factory Crimp Die,
    I still laugh when someone charms in about the Carbide Ring.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Mold
    DougGuy,
    Thanks for the reply. I had already seen your referenced post. My thought is to remove the material from the bottom of the collet not the top. I'm satisfied with the existing Lee crimp style (to each his own). I would then remove the same amount from the bottom of the die body.
    Yes, a washer would allow the use of a 38spl. die for crimping 357mag cartridges, the problem (in non-carbide) FCD I can only find one for 357 but not 38spl.
    Am I missing something here?

AntiqueSledMan - Went to Old West Bullet Molds. Googled it and Bernie. Didn't find anything relevant. Do you have a link to the modified shell holder".
    Thanks all.
    Herb'03

I believe this is his 38 Long Colt setup, could be made to use for 357 & 38 Special.
    I would think one could ask for just the shell holder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old West - 1.jpg  

Boolit Master
    The only thing I use the Lee 357 FCD die for is to size the bases of 5.56 brass down. If they don't drop in and out of my checker, one pass through the die and the do. This is of course after they have been bump sized to the correct size. The die is empty of course.

Boolit Master
    I wonder the same thing about a 9MM die to a .380 die... 44mag to 44 Spec. & 41 mag to 41 spec as well, among others.

Hmmmm.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

I've been working (playing) with my Lee collet crimp die for .44 Magnum. I've had it apart a few times and modified the collet a bit. I don't believe shortening the collet would work for you. You would have to remove quite a bit of metal (about 135") from the base of the collet to get it down to 38 Special length and you'll probably remove the ring that rides on the shell holder to activate the collet...
    My Anchor is holding fast!