RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: Ruger #1 22 LR conversions

Boolit Bub

Ruger #1 22 LR conversions

Are there any other Ruger #1 22 LR conversion on the forum? My gunsmith friend did my conversion 3-4 yrs ago after nearly 5 yrs of trying to talk him into the doing the conversion.
    I took a sporter weight 30-06 #1 and had a match liner installed. Used a modified 22 Hornet extractor. He lowered the firing pin to hit on the bottom of the case.
    When he ran the drill through the 30 caliber barrel taking out only .015 on each side the scope mount holes broke through. .015 is awful close on a high pressure centerfire rifle.
    It shoots squirrel eyeball accuracy at 50 yds. He installed a pressure screw on the forearm hanger but it shoots so well I haven't messed with it. He forgot how much pressure if any he put on the adjustment screw.
    If I figure out how to post pictures I will do so.

Boolit Master

I always wondered why Ruger did not offer the rifle in .22 lr.

Boolit Grand Master

I have considered converting one to 22 lr but at the cost of the project gun, parts and time involved its a major project. I like nuber 1s a lot and when found they are usually in pretty good shape and bring decent money.

Boolit Master
    I had thought about a #1 22lr for years. A couple years ago I decided to give it a go. Researched the smiths that had done so. Re-barrel - not bad, although I guess the rear is a booger to machine.
    Now we gotta move that pesky firing pin.
    I had a 22-250 #1 I never got into shooting much, sitting in the back of the safe (Bought for $450 new in the 80's) - so that saved the price of the donor gun.

Remember that "couple years ago" comment above ? - right in the rim fire drought. Deep down I know 22's will be back; but, ya know .........

Ended up talking to former member Goodsteel, he suggested 22 hornet, no messing with firing pin, load it down to subsonic - reloadable 22 lr !!!!!

Fun gun !
    I could have sold the 22-250 and bought a pretty high end 22 bolt action target gun.
    But the falling block is soooooo cool ! It makes a great little brother to my Sharps.
    Expensive, but fun !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Bub
    I bought my very nice #1 out of a customers estate for a good price. I wanted a #1 in 22LR so I had it converted.
    Total cost to me for the conversion was a match liner, a factory 22 Hornet extractor, and my gunsmith friend did the work at no charge. I did force couple hundred dollars on him for the conversion work. Later I bought him a $300 Ruger #3 in a wildcat caliber to do his own 22LR conversion. He did my 1st 22LR conversion as a learning curve for later conversion work.
    Live is too short to worry over the cost of something you want to enjoy.

I like Martinis, rifles that is. cadets, internationals, Vickers they have plenty of strength, great triggers and nearly nothing that wears on them.
    I would love to have a No. 1 in 22 also. Win. 1885 Winders are also very cool.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Anyone here remember the article by Joe Rychetnik in Precision Shooting about the #1 he had converted to 22 RF. Joe spent a ton on it and I don't know if he ever got it to shoot for him. I really miss Joe's way with words in his articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger1911 View Post
    I had thought about a #1 22lr for years. A couple years ago I decided to give it a go. Researched the smiths that had done so. Re-barrel - not bad, although I guess the rear is a booger to machine.
    Now we gotta move that pesky firing pin.
    I had a 22-250 #1 I never got into shooting much, sitting in the back of the safe (Bought for $450 new in the 80's) - so that saved the price of the donor gun.

Remember that "couple years ago" comment above ? - right in the rim fire drought. Deep down I know 22's will be back; but, ya know .........

Ended up talking to former member Goodsteel, he suggested 22 hornet, no messing with firing pin, load it down to subsonic - reloadable 22 lr !!!!!

Fun gun !
    I could have sold the 22-250 and bought a pretty high end 22 bolt action target gun.
    But the falling block is soooooo cool ! It makes a great little brother to my Sharps.
    Expensive, but fun !
    And the hornet in a number 1 can be stoked up pretty good. Older Hornady loading manuals had a separate section just for hornets in #1's and #3's. Mine shoots extremely well. With the falling block you can load to the best length without worrying about magazine fit.

I have one, it is a real beauty and scary accurate. It was definitely not a budget build. If Ruger ever makes one, I hope it is a 1-V with pretty wood.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Master
    If you have a #1 in .45-70 you could use one of those conversion kits made by Crossno or Lee Shaver. Two rifles in one.