RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: 1876 Uberti Win

Boolit Mold

1876 Uberti Win

Hi this is my first post so if I do something incorrectly please forgive me. I have over 40 years reloading experience using both smokeless and Bp. I am having little luck making a Uberti Win shoot. I have tried both Bp and smokeless loads to no avail. The best I can muster is 2 1/2' t 3' at fifty yards. The rifle is chambered in 50/90 and the bullet mold that I have is a lyman 515139. I have tried three different types of Bp with loads running from 70grs to 80grs with and without lube cookies and three different smokeless powders IMR 4198 5744 and Trail boss. Velocitys rang from 1150 to 1500fps. Any suggestions from people with experience with this rifle and chambering would be appreciated.

Hi Wayne, and welcome to the forum. It's a good place to be, mostly nice people, and a lot for a fellow like you to contribute! Although I've got a Uberti Win. it's a .44-40, so I really can't address your question. But if you go up a way on this page you'll see a box at the extreme left edge of the top bar, right under the ads, that says "Forum". Then, click on that and scroll down through all the choices and you'll see several sub forums that might be a better place to post your question to get a knowledgeable answer...maybe "Lever Actions" or one about cast bullets. Welcome aboard!

Welcome Wayne, can't really help you but have you slugged the bore for proper boolit fit? Also, The twist of the barrel has a lot to do with the weight of boolit to use. There is a wealth of information here to be had, don't give up, you're reaching out and others will chime in I'm sure. Lots of free info available on this site.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Welcome, Wayne. I don't have your rifle but do shoot a lot of cartridge BP in a couple Sharps and first year 1893 Marlin in .38-55. You do need to determine how big the groove diameter is in your rifle. Your bullets need to drop at groove diameter or +.002 over. The bullet should be relatively soft. Traditional alloy would be in the 20:1 or 16:1 range. Smokeless powder lube is not workable with BP but BP lube works with all of it. I use equal parts (by weight) of bee wax and Neats Foot Oil or some kind of vegetable oil. I shoot my bullets as cast over a vegetable fiber wad or one that I cut from tablet back material.

Hope this helps. I envy you your 76; have fun.
    Dan
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks fellows but all of the obvious stuff has already been checked and rechecked. What I am really looking for is someone who has already sorted out these 76s and had a custom mold made that actually works. I am pretty sure it is the bullet design. The grease grove bullet I ordered has way to small a groves. The bore mic's .5155. Twist is 1 in 48".

Per Track of the Wolf on the Lyman , the Lyman 515139 is a 515" diameter 340 grain, bullet mold, single cavity, steel blocks only for 56-50 Spencer. Given the size of the boolit and the bore of your weapon, the boolit may be slightly undersized.

I hope someone with more knowledge will chime in with suggestions. Just trying to help. Good luck.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks I just got done trying that bullet. It was a wash in my gun.

Boolit Master

What alloy are you using? Are you seeing any leading? Just a thought , but you might try a hard cast bullet just to see what happens. It would be interesting to look at a recovered slug . . .
    Last edited by square butte; 02-25-2018 at 10:06 AM.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Mold
    I have tried 20:1 30:1 wheel weight mixture70 to 30. I have also tried four different lubes Red's SPG Lee Alox and a home made Bp lube consisting of Pure Bee's wax Vaseline and peanut oil. This stuff is awesome. I have used card wads wax paper cards and lube cookies in a dozen different configurations. The gun dos not lead.