Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: My new pistol

Boolit Master

My new pistol

doesn't like my Lee TC boolits so much. I tried it out today and after I fire about 5 shots the slide wouldn't go into full battery. When I finally got the slide back and the case ejected, there seemed to be leading on the brass. I could scrape it off with my thumbnail, and then the round would fire, but it was hit or miss. Factory FMJ did well, no problem. I'm wondering if it will help to seat the boolits just a tiny bit deeper, or else go to a cast RN boolit. I really hate to buy factory loads...

Let me have some feedback....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    what caliber ...what gun...what was your reloading sequence?

The throat(front of the chamber) is too sharp and is scraping off a sliver of lead from the sides of the boolit as it chambers. This builds up and will stop the cartridge from chambering fully. When this happens, the ring of lead will often jam onto the cartridge right in front of the case mouth and will be attached to the cartridge there when it is extracted.
    You can either size the boolits a bit smaller or go with a different nose profile.
    The best option is to have the barrel throated to accept the boolit size you want to use.
    Seating deeper may not improve things for you since the front of the chamber and the boolit size will still be the same. It didn't help when I had this problem.
    Been there and done that.
    Last edited by tazman; 02-23-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    It' a CZ 75 SP-01 in 9mm. My other 9mm's would gobble up anything.... I just got back from the shed and seated 150 rounds of 9mm down about .006. I put those through the gun one magazine at a time, and they worked. I'll try again at the range the next time I go and see what happens...

Might have to send it to Doug....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

Doug did a great job on my CZ 75 barrel and it takes the 125 RF sized 358 without issue as far as hand feeding. Haven't shot it yet, too much rain.
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Grand Master

One major aspect of using cast lead bullets is knowing the gun and the diameter of the bullet. Can you use the plunk test for your cast bullet ammo?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I locked up my CZ75 the same way. Take the barrel out and try to plunk in one of your loaded cast rounds. Likely it won't go in all the way. I had to reduce the COL for the CZ. My other 9mm's will take them longer.

Boolit Master
    To be truthful, I was so excited to get the new pistol that I just took it apart and cleaned it, then took some handloads that I had been shooting to the range. Like a kid at Christmas...... I know none of you have ever been that way. After I went to the shed last night THEN when I disassembled the pistol for cleaning did I perform the "plunk test". And was I ever dismayed for a while. After reseating three boxes and plunk testing almost all of them I believe they should perform as expected. At least that's the plan....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Buddy
    are you sizing the bullets or just loading them as they dropped? when I started out casting I was loading tumble lube bullets as they dropped (size) in a hipoint jcp 40 with a lee 175 gr tl swc bullet and never a prob. I later upgraded to a Taurus pt 140 and had same prob as you . I started sizing the bullets to .401 and prob went away . my father inlaw had same prob with my bullets in his s&w 99 . I had to size 2000 bullets I casted for him ,after sizing they worked fine.

Boolit Master
    I size to .358, lube w/ carnauba red. Didn't have a speck of leading.....in the barrel....

My handloading procedure is first to deprime and resize, then tumble the brass, flair, prime and charge. I use an RCBS Rockchucker press.

I size and lube my cast bullets when my supply gets low. I generally have 4-500 ready to load at any time. I check them with a micrometer to make sure that they are within spec. 25 years as a Q/A Q/C tech has gotten me kinda anal on that aspect. If I don't like it, it goes in the scrap bucket...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Banned

every now and then CZ forgets to sharpen their reamer, and they get some chatter right at the front of the chamber.