WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman 57sml tang sight

Boolit Bub

Lyman 57sml tang sight

Put a Lyman tang sight on my TC Hawken 50 cal. and it really made a difference for my old eyes. Groups went from big to not very big at 50 yards. Using the stock front sight.

Boolit Man
    I did the same thing last year, you'r going to really like it!

Boolit Master
    Look at the different eyepieces and front inserts as well. For targets I like one of Lee Shavers circles in the front sight and a largish eyepiece with med dia aperture.

Boolit Bub
    So my eyes are also on their way and I have been thinking about putting a rear peep on. Are there any preferences to using the Lyman 57 over the T/C tang site? Or are they pretty much the same.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RMII View Post
    So my eyes are also on their way and I have been thinking about putting a rear peep on. Are there any preferences to using the Lyman 57 over the T/C tang site? Or are they pretty much the same.
    I own a lot of TC peeps and sold 5 so far ,but just picked up and mounted a vintage Lyman receiver 57 sml All steel on fleabay . I paid $120.00 and found it is not used but brand new ,it went on my TC Hawken no problem after removing the TC peep and hope the rain ends soon as it is quite an upgrade (adjustment wise) ! And yup it has a Lee shaver globe on the front , I need all the help I can afford.

Boolit Bub
    I couldn't find/afford a TC tang site. Saw some on Ebay for $125+. Paid much less for the Lyman. In fact picked up a 2nd Lyman yesterday for $75. The Lyman is made to fit right tight to the tang on the TC. I removed the back 2 screws, set the sight down and replaced the screws. At the ranger course it was shooting way low on elevation but almost dead on in windage. Adjusted the elevation and got it dialed in.

Boolit Master
    Which Lee Shaver globe sight is being used on a Thompson Center Hawken with the 57SML tang peep? There are a lot of globe front sights in different sizes (heights). Mid South shooters has the new (aluminum) 57SML for $88.26 plus shipping. Thanks
    Bob
    Last edited by Buzzard II; 02-23-2018 at 11:36 PM.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

If you are a hunter that shoots at running game, the tang sight is not the best option. The Lyman
    Reciver Sight wins hands down. For target one is no better than the other for shooting but the
    Lyman has more precision with the knob & click adjustments. Either on can be used with Globe
    front.

Boolit Master
    I used the lowestt Lymann globe sight for my Lyman Great Plains Hunter rifle. It has worked well for me.

If you have not bought a sight you might look for the Williams rcvr sight. The gib screw on it makes it a little more secure than the click springs on the Lyman. If interested you can get target knobs for both of them. And both are Aluminum these days.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
    Which Lee Shaver globe sight is being used on a Thompson Center Hawken with the 57SML tang peep? There are a lot of globe front sights in different sizes (heights). Mid South shooters has the new (aluminum) 57SML for $88.26 plus shipping. Bob
    Thanks but I have no use for the aluminum version which is why I paid $120.00 for the vintage all steel sight ,and it gets better as it was sold as used but turned out to be brand new The Lee Shaver globe with inserts and spirit level for the TC is sold by B.A.C.O. #LSPH550375 (you get what you pay for with this set up) have fun shooting Ed

Boolit Bub
    Is it necessary to replace the front sight when you the peep on, or can the front post be used?

Boolit Grand Master

Front post can be used. No problem.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the info! I'm planning to use the Lyman 57SML, when I find a steel one, on a T/C Hawken. I prefer the Lyman over the Williams-to each his own. I'll be using this strictly for paper punching. Just passing price info along on the new aluminum sight.
    Bob

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

"ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RMII View Post
    I have several Lyman sights. I also have a couple of the Williams sights.
    The Lyman sight has some features that are more beneficial for me. First the solid clicks. I like the fact that the adjustment does not move. next is the button that you can push to release the slider.

By pushing the button you can push it then slide the sight to the spot you want. I have marks on the sight for instant changes.

My marks are set in 50 yard increments. That way I can "guess at the 25 yard increments and not clutter up the sight too much. These sight settings are repeatable and a person can take the sight off and put it back on and the sight in stays the same.
    I like to take the sight off when I am not needing it to save it from damage.
    The Lyman is a good sight for both hunting and for target. I have killed many animals using the Lyman peep.

Next the Williams peep.
    I have only two of these. Both are on identical rifles, the Knight MK85 stainless.

I first started out with the stock front sight and stock Williams FP sight. I changed to a Lyman 17 AHB globe sight.

When I did this I had to make changes to the rear sight. First I measured the difference between the old Knight sight and the new Lyman globe sight. Then I made a shim to fit under the rear sight to help the rear sight. I also added a Lyman giblock screw. I was not the person that figured this out. A friend of mine named Mike who lived in Alaska was the first person I saw with one. It was just what I was looking for. Up to then I was leaving the screw that locks the slider slightly loose for quick adjustment. Now I had a solid sight and less movement. The giblock screw needs to be shortened a pinch to work on this sight. It is easy to do and worth it in every way. Here is the shim and the giblock screw.

The shim was the answer to a problem. The problem was how do I install a good front sight. The Lyman sight with the Lee Shavers inserts are perfect way to get a sight system that will reliably shoot out to 200 yards and beyond. This is a picture of my son shooting at 200 yards with his rifle.

The one thing that both of these sights have in common is they both can be adjusted to shoot out to 200 yards and beyond. The TC sight might be a fine sight but they can not be adjusted to shoot like this. To be honest the TC sight is not even close to the same usefulness as the Lyman and the Williams sights are.
    If a guy wants to just set the sight at 100 and forget it. The TC might be fine, I could not go back to guessing on shots. I hate hold over and hold under. It just doesn't works that well.

I have also used the Lee Shavers Globe sights with the spirit level. For all practical purposes it is the same as the Lyman 17. The difference is the level, I have one mounted on my 50 Renegade. I was told by a friend that had one that his was off. When the sight was made it was not true. After some testing he discovered that it was indeed off. He sent it back and got a new one that was true. I need to check mine for it being true, That was a good catch.

As with everything your millage might be different. A guy has to make a plan and then test it. But I can tell you for a fact that the Lyman, and the Williams FP are very good sights.
    Last edited by idahoron; 02-24-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I'm using the original front site on my TC Hawken. It shows up real well in the peep.

Super Moderator

My Lyman Deerstalker 54cal came with the factory "Firesight " front sight. I added the 57SML and got a few different apertures both for target and for hunting. I like it a lot.

Boolit Master
    More info! Thank you!
    Bob

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER