WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Collet crimp

Boolit Grand Master

Collet crimp

Anybody ever successfully disassemble a Lee collet crimp die for handguns? Collet appears to be "snapped" in the die body, and I see no lock rings nor does the collet screw into the body. Is the ID of the body machined so as to afford the collet to lock in place? I'm thinking of reshaping/modifying the crimp ridge of the collet...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Mold
    Yes I managed to get a collet out. I used a large bench vise. Put a socket on the bottom of the die that set on the die body and whose opening was big enough to let the collet pass. Put a hard hex cap screw through the top opening of the die. Put the whole mess in the vise. I recall I had to crank pretty hard on the vise handle before the collet popped out. It's been about 6 or 7 years since I did this.
    Herb '03

I ground the head of a long bolt to just fit into the top of the die, turned it over, and slammed it a few times just with it in my fist, and it worked. in fact I just did it today to my 44 mag collet die, I made the part that actually touches the mouth of the shell shorter, so that it looks just like a traditional roll crimp now, but can be made tighter without squishing the brass. I used this method on my 45-70 collet crimp die as well. good luck!-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

mdi,

The easiest way I found to remove collet is to install from the bottom of a
    single stage press & push a 3/8" SHCS through with the ram of the press.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Collet.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

And I'm assuming the collet was able to be reinstalled? I figgered that the collet could be pushed out, I just didn't feel like getting my arbor press cleaned off so it could be used...

Thanks...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

yeah, it will tap right back in, now antique sled reminded me... when I did my 45-70 I did bang it out with my hand, I tried that with the 44 mag one, and ended up just putting it in the press like he did, using a bolt wich had a hex head, that I ground to fit snug in the main die body. it preses out very easy with the press, and when I put it back in, I did not need the press, I just slammed it on my bench and it popped back in. once you take it out once, it is easier to take out later also...
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.