RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet Mould for 44 mag.

Bullet Mould for 44 mag.

I have accepted a job working for one our outfitters here in Wyoming. I will be wrangling livestock cooking and general assistance for whatever needs to be done.We pack in 15 miles into Bridger/Teton Wilderness for 6 days at a time. There are bears and wolves are about, have been advised to have and carry reliable revolver and a fast handling rifle to keep around camp. What I have is a 4" S&W Mdl. 29 44 mag. I have 6" Mdl 57's but to long for quick handling from the hip.Would you consider this revolver stoked with a hard cast gas checked bullet 250gr's + I need a mould recommendation for best combination of weight and performance/penetration for this revolver.
    My rifle choice is a Win/Miroku 92 in 45 Colt. I will be using a 300 gr. g/c Accurate cast with Lyman #2, 21grs.of IMR 4227 for 1200 fps and excellent accuracy.
    Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the same gun a M29 I shoot 250 gr Keith boolits from mine and would have no worries about bear or wolves the charge is 23.0 gr of imr 4227 about 1200 fps
    normally use 16-1 alloy but lately been powder coating them any alloy like ww or similar would work fine as long as you get the accuracy you desire
    no need for a gas check on this one
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Super Moderator

The Lee C430-310-RF over a healthy dose of W296 would fit the bill, especially if some of those bears are Griz.

Yes the bears expected are Grizzlies, no problem with a non gas checked boolit @ 1200 fps. ? I do like heavy for caliber boolits, I was afraid anything much over 270 gr's would be to long.I use Ben's Red for lube so it's good to go.
    White Eagle what are you sizing to ? .430 seems the right size.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like the Lee 310. I like it a lot! As a matter fact, I'm on my way out the door to cast a few.

Boolit Grand Master
    yes sizing to .430 as well
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee 310 is a winner in both of my redhawks and a 629

Boolit Master

If it were me I'd load the 310gr lee over a healthy dose of H110/W296.

Banned
    the 250 Keith over 21gr 2400 ( or current book max) will work out of your 4" Smith but don't expect it to live long, the heavier loads will be even harder on it. I carried the same combination for several years and killed a boatload of stuff with it. Size to fit your cylinder throats

Boolit Master
    The 250 Keith & 21 grs of 2400 has been my hunting load for 50 years & I've taken a lot of game with it including elk & bears. Mostly I used it in single action Rugers but also in my model 29's. Going to heavier bullets is hard on the S&W's. I love the model 57's & LBT makes a dandy 250 gr WFN that I've also used a great deal & took my last elk with that bullet, breaking both shoulders with an exit. You have more steel in the cylinder with a 41 magnum over the 44 & with both guns shooting a 250 gr bullet you are very well armed. My load in the 41 magnum has always been 17 grs of 2400, not a max load but if it exits both shoulders do you need more? The longer barrel won't be a problem, if you need to hurry, you will, trust me! I also powder coat all my bullets. Get you a good Barranti cross draw holster & you are good to go.

Dick

Boolit Master
    I don't own a 44 cal mold that isn't a GC design , so that kinda gives you my opinion of the situation . Not necessarily need them but I prefer having them . I'm more of an advocate of the Ranch Dog design rather then keith . I do however like most all of the SWC GC designs . I also run my bullets thru a .433" die may not be necessary but its what I use .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

These loads will only be shot to determine accuracy and should the need arise for stopping unhappy critters,not regular use. I do understand the S&W is not strongest design available for full level magnum loads.I am now reconsidering the .41, I have a ton of moulds but no gas checked designed.I thought the 4" .44 would be a bit handier, the cross draw holster sounds like a good option.I am more comfortable with the 41's.I have time to sort it out and appreciate you all for giving me things I had not considered.

Boolit Master

Another thing to consider in your situation is one of the reasons you have a big bore revolver on your belt is to rack up style points with the dudes and dude-etts. A well broken in holster helps too.

I'm A Honcho!
    Go for the best balance between accuracy, control then power. 3 x 250 grain Wadcutters at 1000 fps with 9.5 grains of Unique in head neck and front quarter trumps a 1 shot miss of a 25 grain H110 load.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master
    Randy,

Just a carry tip. If your right handed, use a butt forward cross draw holster and ware it just forward of the left hip. This rig allows the right hand to be used for a rifle or ????? and keeps you from beating the butt of your hand gun or what ever is in your right hand.

Personally, it would be VERY hard to beat a 5.5" RedHawk. Mine takes a lick'in and keep on tick"in! A 310gr WFN gets just over 1300fps from that 5.5" barrel.

For cast bullet results, it is very hard to beat a design with a large meplat. That Wide Flat Nose is highly effective on game and I'd suggest something in the 240 - 280gr range in the .44 Mag.

I found the 300+ grain cast to cause problems with ware in some .44s due to the recoil with that heavy slug. NOT SO in the RedHawk!

240 - 280gr will get er done With the right shot placement!

Accurate Molds not only makes a high quality mold, but has a huge selection available. I buy some lee molds, but for things I think are important I buy the MUCH higher quality Accurate Molds.

And while a plain base bullet may well do it, I use gas checked bullets for all my heavy loads, rifle or handgun.

Used a 280gr WFN gas check bullet from an Accurate Mold made for the .444 (cast it for my son) on two deer this past Fall. Shot from my little RUGER 77/44. Both dead where they stood with complete pass through.

Wanting a bit better accuracy, I have 240gr WFN cast from a new Accurate Mold that will be tested come Spring/Summer. This should also be a great selection for a handgun!

Size .431! but I'll be trying a .432 in my search for a bit more accuracy. Have used the .431 for years in a verity of .44 hands gun, rifles, and the son's triple 4.

Then "Hardcast". Be aware that this is a totally meaningless term and MUCH over used unless it is coupled with a tested hardness figure! Because there is no scale containing that term one person's "hardcast" may be another person's soft or excessively hard. If buying bullets and the supplier does not include a tested hardness figure, ask them as simple saying "hardcast" means nothing! Harder then what?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Grand Master
    Arsenal molds makes a H&G 503 clone @ 264grains that might be right up your alley. I have one, but haven't cast with it yet.

Yes the cross draw holster, I have a nice older Heiser made to order.Thank You CDOC, you have helped me make up my mind.Lyman #2 will be alloy certified alloy and Accurate mould with a gas check.

Boolit Master
    Randy I have a friend that lives in Buffalo ! Fellow originally from Doylestown PA by the name of James Ott , he has an older brother named Edd Ott that used to live there as well but recently moved to Kerrville Texas . You wouldn't happened to have run into either of these two by chance ?
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

I asked Tom to make me a mold like this http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=43-250K-D.png but a little heaver
    I got this it drops right about 268 gr now I have not shot this a lot but it's looking good Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180226_191247_resized (1).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	215272
    Its a 433260k
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Randy,

Just for your information and possibly reading pleasure, pick up a copy of Veral Smith's little book on cast bullets. He is the guy behind LBT (Lead Bullet Technology). The info may be on the web.

Not throwing stones at LUCKYTDAWG"s choice of a semi wadcutter bullet design/profile, as they have been good and accurate bullets for many years.

However, According to Veral the oft said comment that the sharp Semi Wadcutter shoulder cuts a full caliber hole through tissue may be incorrect.

His thought is that tissue and body fluids flowing back from the bullet's meplat, force a temporary larger then bullet dia. cavity in a critters tissue which prevents that sharp semi Wadcutter shoulder from ever contacting or cutting tissue.

If that is correct, and it seems to stand to reason, the larger meplat of a Wide Flat Nose cast bullet would be more effective on game.

Again, according to Veral and something that could be at least partly tested at the range, the full dia. meplat of a full Wadcutter is one of the most effective cast bullets on game. The Fly In the Ointment being that bullet profile's lack of stability much beyond competitive paper target distances.

Designing the Wide Flat Nose and Long Flat Nose bullet profiles was his answer to the stability situation while maintaining a meplat that is as large as possible.

My growing pile of deer and three elk taken with my 45/70 (465gr WFN at 1650fps) and now two with my .44 rifle (280gr WFN at 1750fps) using WFN cast bullets is NOT conclusive proof as per their effectiveness, but I am to say the least, impressed.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast