Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: N.O.E. 460-405-HP and the 1895SBL

Boolit Master

N.O.E. 460-405-HP and the 1895SBL

Anyone use this combination for hunting?

I've fiddled around with my collection of Saeco molds, and the #017 seems to agree with the rifle. The meplat is a little small for a hunting bullet though. On the bright side, there seems to be two accuracy nodes. One at about 1,600 fps and one at about 1,800 fps.

If anyone hunts with the NOE bullet, I'd be interested to hear your results on game.

Boolit Master
    Got it figured out. A Forster hollow pointing tool and one of my existing molds should work just fine for the few hollow points I'll need for hunting.

Depending on what you are hunting, would depend on whether you need 1600 or 1800 fps. If you are planning on hunting bear, you may wish to get a LFN for that and leave the HPs for thinner skinned game.

Boolit Grand Master
    no hp is needed when your boolits are .460 in dia.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Y'all are probably right. I'd be better off working up an accuracy load with what I've got, with a trajectory that I need and then practice, practice, practice.

Boolit Master
    How big a hole do you want in things?

Boolit Master
    I'm looking to anchor a Roosevelt Elk bull at 150 yards or less in the northern Oregon coast range. It's pretty vertical terrain, and packing those things out of creek bottoms is getting a little tiresome.

Boolit Master
    Maybe a little more i information is in order here...

A bull Rosie goes anywhere from 700 to 1100 pounds, on average. They're tough but not bullet-proof. The hard part is convincing them that they're dead, not killing them. I always try to shoot one up hill, but the last two days of the four day season sometimes makes that a little difficult. It's all thick brush and steep hills.

I've been using my CZ 550 loaded with a 420 grain pp load up until now to good effect, but wanted a weather resistant lever gun that fits in my Jeep. The CZ is a 458 Win Mag. The rain and snot is taking it's toll on a fine shooting rifle.

When I've shot one with it, the results are good. Especially if they just jump over a ridge line before they decide to expire. If they decide to drop over an edge into the pucker brush in a creek bottom, all bets are off. You can spend a day or two finding them and packing them out. I'm really trying to avoid that as much as possible.

Being a recently ex-Oregonian from the Tualatin area, I’m well familiar with the animals and the terrain. My vote? That NOE 460-405 cast from a 50/50 blend of wheel weight and soft lead, and drive that to about 1600-1700 FPS. Next- forget the double lung. Put that boolit though the shoulder- you’ll take the wheels out, blow out the lungs, and anchor that bull all in one shot- and you won’t lose a whole lot of meat.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480