WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 432640 Loads

432640 Loads

Anyone have loads they will share and how they perform with this boolit?

I know there was a group buy that happened a few years back for an NOE mold listed as the 432640, now on their website as the 432-295-FN. It was based off a Lyman Devastator but with a solid nose.

I have the Lyman Devastator mold and made a pin to cast solid nose boolits, and so I am curious what others have now settled on as good loads with their boolits.

The other day I got some decent groups with 20gr of W296 and a CCI350.

How about you?

Boolit Master

I use the Devastator on deer because it works. Your load is not much different then mind.
    I load 19.6 grs. of 296, with Federal primers.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

I use the Lyman Devastator cast of 16-1 alloy. Fully dressed it weighs 275 gr. Over 23 gr H110 in WW cases with a WLP primer it runs 1486 fps out of a 8.4" Contender barrel at a Measured 30,200 psi. Out od my 6 1/2" barreled Ruger BHFT 50th Anniversary it runs 1360 fps.

Attachment 214930
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

those are some good looking boolits! would they benefit from a slightly smaller " mouth" to the hp, or do they stay togeth like that, at those velocities?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master

16-1 lead-tin stays together pretty good at 1200 fps for me. Unless it strikes bone.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I am kinda really looking for the non hollow point load data. I don’t know if 15gr or so weight difference would matter too much. My boolits are weighing around 290gr fully dressed.

hey newton, have you noticed an increase or decrease in accuracy when dropping your powder charge? I will have to re load some to double check, but seems like I might have gotten a bit better accuracy at 21.5 grs, I am now at 20.5, which is more pleasant to shoot, so I might try 21, and see if it helps any. I wouldn't think 15 grs would make much difference, in an article about heavy 44 mag boolits when the author went from 300 to 320 he dropped from 21.5grs of 296 to 21grs, so you might drop 1/4th to 1/2 a grain for those solid points, but I doubt it would put you over pressure if you didn't, since I don't think you are running max loads. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    hey newton, have you noticed an increase or decrease in accuracy when dropping your powder charge? I will have to re load some to double check, but seems like I might have gotten a bit better accuracy at 21.5 grs, I am now at 20.5, which is more pleasant to shoot, so I might try 21, and see if it helps any. I wouldn't think 15 grs would make much difference, in an article about heavy 44 mag boolits when the author went from 300 to 320 he dropped from 21.5grs of 296 to 21grs, so you might drop 1/4th to 1/2 a grain for those solid points, but I doubt it would put you over pressure if you didn't, since I don't think you are running max loads. good luck!
    I actually did notice an increase in accuracy when I increased the charge 1/2gr. That’s why I’m curious about others loads for this boolit. I wouldn’t think that much weight would make a difference either, but the last thing that most people say before an accident is “I didn’t think....”. Lol

Larry’s testing pressures with the same boolit, but with a hollow point, makes me feel a little better in trying a little higher charge to see what happens. I honestly think I could go up to 21gr, but it would make me feel better to hear from others who have gone before if you know what I mean.

Boolit Grand Master

newton

Lyman's CBH #4 has 296 data for 265 gr and a 300 gr cast bullets. A max load of 21.5 gr pretty much splits the difference between the max loads listed for their bullets. Given you bullet is closer to the 300 gr bullet I would cautiously work up to 21.0 gr with a 290 gr cast.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

but I have noticed a huge difference in their velocities, thos in lee's book, and also various articles I have read. it seems that lymans posted velocities are lower than what is really experienced by others. does anyone else notice this?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Folks, PLEASE do us all a favor & specify what caliber you're talking about loading for? I'd hate for someone to be asking about 44 Special loads and end up putting a heavy 44 Magnum powder load - or worse yet, a 444 Marlin load or something - into a Bulldog or the like. I figure we all know to double check things, but good practices are good practices And we can have bad brain days. Call me paranoid if ya want but accidents really SUCK!

Boolit Master
    but I have noticed a huge difference in their velocities, thos in lee's book, and also various articles I have read. it seems that lymans posted velocities are lower than what is really experienced by others. does anyone else notice this?

When you read load data it will behoove you to look at the testing methods. Not just the data. If you will notice Lyman uses a 4 INCH PRESSURE BARREL to record velocities for some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Folks, PLEASE do us all a favor & specify what caliber you're talking about loading for? I'd hate for someone to be asking about 44 Special loads and end up putting a heavy 44 Magnum powder load - or worse yet, a 444 Marlin load or something - into a Bulldog or the like. I figure we all know to double check things, but good practices are good practices And we can have bad brain days. Call me paranoid if ya want but accidents really SUCK!

I guess I could see that. It is for a 44 magnum in my instance.

ah, I do remember reading that , now, of course! I had forgotten about that. by "pressure barrel" do you mean a remotely operated rig, and not an actual gun?

Boolit Master
    ah, I do remember reading that , now, of course! I had forgotten about that. by "pressure barrel" do you mean a remotely operated rig, and not an actual gun?
    It is the barrel on the pressure testing device. Not an actual gun in the sense of a real handgun. The gun used to record pressure. Either CUP or Piezo Transducer. Lyman will list the barrel if it is a regular firearm. By the make of firearm and barrel lenght.
    I know someone will come on here and use technical jargon that will sound highly educated and amazing to some but what i said is the jist of it. Kinda like Doc Adams arguing with Festus Hagen.

ok, I get it, I think I have seen them use one on tv before

newton, I weighed my boolits, and I guessed pretty close! they weigh 275grs as cast with my alloy, 2%sb/4.5%sn, and with 21.5grs of 296 I didn't see any signs of high pressure, so I think you will be fine going to that, any further, and you're on your own! lol, but if you are like me, which I think you said you were, 21.5grs of 296 is about as much as I would go, while still being able to enjoy shooting it!

Boolit Grand Master

I got in on the Mihec 434640 for my Marlin 1894.

The boolit feeds and shoots well. I generally load it over IMR4227 because that is what I tend to use for .44 mag. .308 and .303 Brit. All in all I like IMR4227 and have for many years. Not going to make spectacular claims other than it works for me!

The Mihec mould is nothing sort of spectacularly well machined and casts perfectly so a plug for Mihec!

Longbow

longbow, is that a plain base or gas check boolit? someone told me that 4227 doesn't work well with plain bases, that it can deform or gas cut the bases, have you ever noticed this?

Boolit Master
    longbow, is that a plain base or gas check boolit? someone told me that 4227 doesn't work well with plain bases, that it can deform or gas cut the bases, have you ever noticed this?
    I would consider the source and then run.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 03-02-2018 at 07:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast