Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: Opinions on the Lyman T Mag II Turret Press?

Boolit Buddy

Opinions on the Lyman T Mag II Turret Press?

I've been thinking of adding a turret press to my bench for my pistol and straight wall calibers (38/357, 44-40, 38-55, 45-70).
    It will go alongside my Forster Co-Ax which i will keep for more precision and heavy tasks.

An opportunity to buy a used T Mag II with 4 extra turrets has come up and i just wanted to gauge other users opinions and experiences with it.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Mine works well. Lyman is discontinuing the model. Prices have dropped. Lyman will soon cease backing this product with parts and support. I suggest you buy if you can get it for half or less of retail. Lee's classic cast turret may be a better deal service and price wise.

Redding T7 on sale for 208$

My T MagII seems to be solid and well built. My complaints would be spent primer collection and the primer arm if you prime on the press. The issue for me with the primer arm is lack of feel. I find myself always double checking to see if the primers are fully seated.
    This press does cam over,unlike my Lee Turret press.

Boolit Master

++on tranders' observations. Lot better ways to deprime & prime than a T-Mag II. Once you get past that it's a great press. I also have 4 turrets with mine. I use it for straight wall pistol cartridges and have no complaints. Even after Lyman discontinues it, I can't see spare parts supply drying up immediately. And not a lot of parts that could fail. Only ones I can think of are the turret hold-down / axle bolt and the adjustable stop bolt that supports the back side of turret.
    I've had mine for 3 years & load 1,500 rounds a month on it. Pretty sure it will outlast me.

Banned

one of my first presses was a tmag. It was a good stout press.

Can't remember where my T mag came from it's been so long.Came with no primer tray so I made one from 16oz copper.Soldered where necessary and with a spring retention system that the whole tray pops on/off.Been using it for handguns for 30? years.

It has Lee dies in it cause.....their powder through expander.Made a threaded adapter for them that mounts up Lyman accumeasure's(their"pistol measure).All I can say is it's fast/slick/accurate setup.Am sort of downsizing or would get another T mag/accumeasure setup.

Boolit Master

I bought a T Mag II on closeout recently and I'm impressed with the quality. I've been wanting a turret press for a long time and this one suits me fine. As sturdy as this press is I don't think spare parts will be much of an issue.
    Chuck

Banned
    I had a T-Mag I and it was a fine machine. I used a feeler gauge between the turret and the support post to get rid of the excessive gap/play. I purchased a T-mag II and its a superior machine. I've full length resized .308 brass on it and it doesn't phase it. I did however cut a length of 12 ga solid wire without insulation and I use it to secure the primer catcher so it doesn't end up on the floor with spent primers going everywhere.

Boolit Master
    Anyone know where to get parts for the T-mag II? Somehow I broke the turret retainer bolt and it obviously not a hardware store item. Anyone know what the thread rate is?
    Last edited by yeahbub; 04-07-2018 at 11:48 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbub View Post
    Anyone know where to get parts for the T-mag II? Somehow I broke the turret retainer bolt and it obviously not a hardware store item. Anyone know what the thread rate is?
    Contact Lyman and see if they will help you.

Boolit Master
    I cammed my tmagII over and snapped the base off where it overhangs the front of the bench. It broke easy too. Don’t cam it over I guess.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    I cammed my tmagII over and snapped the base off where it overhangs the front of the bench. It broke easy too. Don’t cam it over I guess.
    Ok, I'll bite. What does "I cammed it " mean?

Boolit Master
    I just sold mine purely because the primer collection is terrible. Just the wrong press for that operation. It also was a little sloppy in the linkage, but it only affected feel as the ram stayed rock solid.

I still load on a Lyman All American turret. I had a T-Mag and gave it to a friend. It seemed like a very solid press and had corrected the faults of the All American. I would buy one.

rmcc
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

Boolit Master
    I started with a T-Mag,still have it and use it. Shows no sign of quitting anytime soon.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master
    I have a T-Mag and a RCBS turret press.The RCBS has vertical play in the turret when a load is applied.The T-Mag does not.RCBS sent me a thicker turret washer but that didn't remove the play completely.Not sure it can be done.I tried shim washers and to remove all of the play locks the turret.
    I believe the T-Mag is a better press at least with my examples.Lyman has a website for parts ordering.

Boolit Master
    My Lyman T-MagII has served me well with nary a problem for eleven years now. We were brought together via e-Bay. If I am to nit-pick for a fault it would be her occasional spent primer incontinence. I hasten to add it was a Lyman engineer's lack of imagination (?) to not anticipate a better designed spent primer devise of some sort.

Spent primer debris is abrasive. All this machine requires is a regular dismantling of her moving parts for cleaning and lubrication. If there is to be an aftermarket add-on, I recommend "Inline Ergo Handle". Money well spent there.

Be Of Good Cheer,
    Wt.
    Last edited by walltube; 04-14-2018 at 06:17 PM. Reason: incomplete sentence
    "Only when the Muslims (Arabs) begin to love their children as much as they hate us, will there be peace."
    Golda Mier

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
    Luca Scato