RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing with FB slugs again

6pt,

The 10ga FB HB slugs is about 0.775" diameter with WW alloy. The weight is almost the same as the 12ga slug.

I found a local source of 97/3 pb/SN alloy. I plan to pick it up next week.

I agree my 60g ffg start load is a bit weak. Once I have a warm sunny day and a can of soft slugs I will slowly work up a load. The barrels are stamped 1 1/4 oz shot at 89 grains black powder. This load data appears lifted directly from the goex website or maybe goex borrowed it from pedersoli?

BB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    6pt,

The 10ga FB HB slugs is about 0.775" diameter with WW alloy. The weight is almost the same as the 12ga slug.

I found a local source of 97/3 pb/SN alloy. I plan to pick it up next week.

I agree my 60g ffg start load is a bit weak. Once I have a warm sunny day and a can of soft slugs I will slowly work up a load. The barrels are stamped 1 1/4 oz shot at 89 grains black powder. This load data appears lifted directly from the goex website or maybe goex borrowed it from pedersoli?

BB
    The 12 gauge if memort serves measured about .730" of the couple I measured , they'd go thru the full choke barrels easily but the 10 gauge slug seems to me was as you say and wouldn't go thru my full choke Parkers or the modified choke in the LC Smith . But I am hoping this new Parker I just acquired is open enough in the cylinder barrel to handle the larger slug .

I wasn't by any means knocking your 60 grain load and it was actually more to the opposite . I gave myself a pretty nice bruise when I was doing it actually bruised the bone .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

6pt,

No offense takin' on my part, I just started way low because I couldn't find BP data for a 730g 12ga projectile. This sxs has a curved steel buttplate so I think that will be the limiting factor on powder charge.

BB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    6pt,

No offense takin' on my part, I just started way low because I couldn't find BP data for a 730g 12ga projectile. This sxs has a curved steel buttplate so I think that will be the limiting factor on powder charge.

BB
    Mine is flat butt but still steel !
    I had thoughts of a slip on recoil pad but the butt of this gun is to large for that . Coulda done the old trick of a bag of shot between my shoulder and the butt of the gun , but that's not very comfortable .

I think I got my idea of starting at 80 grains from the DGW catalog , but don't hold me to that .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12