Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: 32-20in a ballard and 44 stevens

32-20in a ballard and 44 stevens

finally aquired the pair of 32-20s from the older fellow .The stevens is drilled and tapped for scope bases on the flat .The Marlin ballard is a 3 line cast receiver ,the trigger is a double set and missing the rear set trigger.There are no markings on the barrel and was relined sometime in its life .

Both bores are about par ,showing wear and shiny
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4974.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	214866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4975.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	214867

Nice. If you don't already, you'll come to know what an underappreciated cartridge the .32-20 is. Check the Stevens' bore closely. One of mine is only .309 in the grooves, and likes a .310 boolit best.
    Cognitive Dissident

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    And, as I am sure that you already know, but I will repeat for the benefit of others reading this, keep the Ballard loads light, in the order of those suitable for a non-heat-treated S&W 1905 Hand Ejector made before 1918, not to exceed about 1200 fps with a 100-grain bullet in the rifle.

My most satisfactory dual-purpose load for old rifles and revolvers is the Accurate 31-105T cast 8 BHN and sized .314" with 3.4 grains of Bullseye, which gives 800 fps in a 5" revolver, approximating old factory ammo, and 1170 fps in the Winchester 1873.

Attachment 214909
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Looks like the Ballard also had the DST lever swapped out for a single trigger S lever too. Shooting a DST setup without setting the rear trigger first can break things inside, so hopefully the person who removed the rear set trigger also changed the hammer over to a standard hammer too, and removed the sear that a set trigger action has in favor of hammer/trigger setup.
    I also have a #2 in .32-20, and have owned a couple in this caliber. Both were/are original .32-20 #2 Ballards, and I keep loads down to medium levels used in pistols. I've used my .32-20's out to 500 yd. dingers and they're a lot of fun to shoot! With a new liner your gun is even better than the original bore!

the
    trigger does not feel right kind of grittyish so not sure what is up with it .I does still fire and the spring does feel lazy .Will be taking her apart in the future .Still have to finish my speed project first as if I dont I will never get back to it LOL

Boolit Mold
    I have some new and once fired brass if you need ...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8404.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	214914

light loads will be used /cast .as for brass I have oodles of starline I use for the 32wsl and 30 carbine rimmed ,plus I am in canada and its a problem getting brass from the US /ITAR
    cheers Peter

I'd be interested in what you find once the breech block halves are split! I'm always interested in the various things people have done to keep these old guns shooting! Maybe post a picture once you get a chance to look inside. Ballards normally have wonderful triggers, so the gritty feel may indicate a sear tip that's chipped.

Boolit Master
    Double set triggers of the “Kentucky” type general have a gritty feel in the unset pull.

Check with Rod Storie and see if he has any castings left for the Ballard set triggers. He used to sell a kit of castings for the Ballard action, and may have a few leftovers still. If you can get a back trigger casting and a flat spring, you should be able to reconstitute the set trigger, depending on what else is missing in the mechanism.

Just took out the breech block .Does not appear to be a casting ,looks milled and well built .The hammer has a stub attached where the spring rests .Again another smith built/modified version that works,the gritty feeling was debris /dirt in the works wiped it out and now smooth and crisp.
    here are some picsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4979.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	215046 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4978.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	215047

Just took out the breech block .Does not appear to be a casting ,looks milled and well built .The hammer has a stub attached where the spring rests .Again another smith built/modified version that works,the gritty feeling was debris /dirt in the works wiped it out and now smooth and crisp.
    here are some picsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4979.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	215046 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4978.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	215047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4977.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	215079
    Last edited by blackbahart; 02-25-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Your gun still has the fly type DST hammer, but fly is missing. You'll need rear trigger, fly, springs, screws, etc. to return it back to a DST. Too bad Ballard Rifle Co is defunct, as they'd have parts.
    Rodney may indeed have some as cast parts, so maybe worth contacting him if you can do some file work and drill proper holes for the pivot pins. Another source is "SSShooter" at the ASSRA forum. He was making up set triggers for the Ballard, and might have some done by now?

signed up on the assra site and will hunt down the source.Where will I find a schematic of the DST trigger group to see what is missing
    Peter

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice additions!

I'm not aware of a schematic available beyond drawings that can be purchased through the ASSRA archives for $10. If you go to the site's home page you'll find a link to archives. Rudy has the archives and can be contacted to purchase a copy of the Ballard drawing. Here's a web site for White Mountain Classics that does work on antique guns. I've never used them, but they have a image of a #6 broken apart that might help you. About halfway down the page.
    http://home.myfairpoint.net/wmcb4/id14.html

sounds good,tks