Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: 45 cal gas checks and .45-70 boolit.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

45 cal gas checks and .45-70 boolit.

I just ordered a mould for my .45-70 Marlin and find Hornady makes .45 cal gas checks. Are they for .45 ACP only or will they expand to fit my larger bore?

Also, do gas checks work well with paper patching?

Thanks for your advice.
    Last edited by GregLaROCHE; 07-19-2018 at 07:04 AM.

Boolit Master

A few years ago, I measured samples of all the gas checks here in the shop. I'd had the Hornadys for some time. They measured 0.459" OD and 0.425" ID. I also had samples of Gator Checks in sizes 45 rifle and 45 pistol. The Gator rifle checks measured 0.458" and 0.426", the pistol ones went 0.452" and 0.425".

A paper patch slug must begin a good bit under groove diameter in order to fit after patching, so I would not expect caliber 45 checks to work with paper patched 45 bullets. But, I haven't tried it.

Boolit Master
    If you are paper patching, you don't need gaschecks...I'm assuming you will be using an overpowder card and/or wad...if you are using blackpowder...
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Themoose View Post
    If you are paper patching, you don't need gaschecks...I'm assuming you will be using an overpowder card and/or wad...if you are using blackpowder...
    I’ve started to think it would be better to start wih regular powder the first time I use my cast bullets and paper patches. If everything works out I may move on to black powder just to see what it is like.

Its good to hear I won’t need gas checks with the paper. Helps to keep the starting costs down. Everone says how economic it is to cast your own boolits, but it does take a small investment to get started.

Thanks for the info,

Greg

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Greg - with 45-70 reloads, smokeless or black powder ... No gas Checks are not needed for either smokeless or black powder reloads or with paper patch rounds. The velocities will be less than 1600 fps
    Regards
    John

Boolit Bub
    This from my reading only !
    You might consider cream of wheat as a gas check.
    Charge the ctg. case with powder, ..add cream of wheat ( cow), to the level of the bullet base, then seat the bullet.
    The cream of wheat ( cow ) acts as an effective gas check between the burning powder, and the bullet base, so there is really no need to buy those ghastly expensive over priced factory made gas checks.

Banned

I disagree with some here. Ive shot 4570s and cast for well over 30 years. Gas check and non gas checked. Yes you can use both but ive allways had better luck at about any pressure level getting the best accuracy the gun was capable of using gas checks. to answer your question, no 45 colt checks wont fit 4570 bullets. Hornady make .458 checks for the 4570 and 458.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I disagree with some here. Ive shot 4570s and cast for well over 30 years. Gas check and non gas checked. Yes you can use both but ive allways had better luck at about any pressure level getting the best accuracy the gun was capable of using gas checks. to answer your question, no 45 colt checks wont fit 4570 bullets. Hornady make .458 checks for the 4570 and 458.
    Concur 100% with Lloyd.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Mostly you find the Hornady GC's work well in 45/70 PROVIDED your boolit diameter is .459 or under. If you need .460 + like a lot of us shoot you need to use Gator Checks. I only use the Gator Checks in my 45/70's and 45/90's.

OP - you said you ordered a mold already - is it for Plain Base or GC????? If you are going to paper patch it should be for a plain base boolit.
    Big Bore = 45+

Banned

One more option for you to consider Greg would be my 45PBR (rifle) Checkmaker™ dies.

Easily accommodate .458 -.461 plain base molds making inexpensive soda can PB gas checks that perform like gangbusters.

Non GMO. Gluten Free. No proven adverse skin reactions to various types of powders. Has been tested on a few animals.

-Pat
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 03-15-2018 at 10:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Just an update. I’ve made and shot a few paper patched boolits, but am now powder coating. It works great on those big slow slugs. I’ve even been shooting some 500 grs.

However, I only shot my 6.5mm with gas checks.

Thanks for all the advice I have received.
    Last edited by GregLaROCHE; 07-19-2018 at 07:05 AM.