Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Skinner sight for Marlin 39A ?

Skinner sight for Marlin 39A ?

I have tried different sights in my Marlin 39A to find something my aging eyes can see. I replaced the rear sight,and while it's a nice sight it is just a blur to me. Considered a scope or red dot,but hate the scope mount I have to use. I am now at the point where I am thinking about using a Skinner peep sight and a hi-viz front sight. If anyone here has done this I would appreciate knowing what height the front sight insert needs to be to get on target at a short range.

Thanks For Looking

Boolit Master
    This may not meet your needs, but I have found that a low power scope cures most of my requirements for improving sight visibility. This thought comes at the risk of being identified as a heretic but on my 39 it was the only way to go. Older eyes just need the help...

Boolit Grand Master

The easiest way to do this is to leave your current sight in place when you install the Skinner and orient it to the sight line through the current sight. You will know quickly if you need a higher front sight, especially if you have a lazer that fits your muzzle.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

FWIW - all of my rifles with receiver sights also carry fiber-optic front sight blades, and have done so ever since FO sights were first introduced.

The nice thing about FO front sights is that they can be ordered from various/sundry makers in different colors (red, amber, yellow, green, et, etc) to suit an individual's color perception; and in the same 1/16" (fine) or 3/32" (coarse) bead sizes as standard (Ivory/Gold bead) front sight blades.

Since the Skinner peepsight is a top-mount, you will need a front sight blade that's taller than the issue front sight, in order to zero the rifle.

If you call Skinner, or add your comments into the appropriate section of Skinner's online ordering form, Skinner can provide you the proper height front sight blade to order (Skinner doesn't make/sell FO sights, AFAIK).

Alternately, after you install the Skinner on your rifle, you can determine the proper front sight height needed via measuring the height of the Skinner aperture from the bore C/L when it's halfway between it's highest/lowest adjustment points - then taking that measurement to the existing front sight/muzzle to determine the extra height required.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Thin man,thank you I considered doing so,but I have to say the scope mount for this gun is way too high. Maybe if I ever find the right scope.

Wayne, I have no laser boresighter,I have considered buying one of the ones that attaches via magnet to the muzzle.

Pietro,thank you for that information,as it turns out I went a different direction with things.

After having no reply to my post for several days I decided to go back and reinstall the Williams 5D receiver sight on the 39A. I searched for a while online to see if I could find the right front height for it to no avail. Finally contacted William's and they said the front sight should be .290 . So I ordered from midway a Williams firesight .290,a twilight aperture in the largest opening size, and 4 boxes of the cci subsonic segmented hollow point cartridges.

The twilight aperture's brass ring really does not register to my eye,but the larger opening works as a 'ghost ring' sight. I dug around in my stuff and found a skeletal front sight hood to protect the fiber optic rod. I am satisfied with this arrangement,though I do admire the sturdy construction of the skinner sight. I hope to be able to sight in the rifle with cci ammunition by next week.

Thanks to everyone who replied.