Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Thumler's tumbler model B rubber decay?

Boolit Master

Thumler's tumbler model B rubber decay?

I have a TT model B and just this morning I noticed my hands getting dirty while doing a rinse. I rubbed the inside rubber and my figure got black. I have not used this tumbler in months. Brass was all clean. So I wiped it down with a rag. It just keeps putting off black stuff. I have left it dry and does not let any more black stuff off until you wet it again.

Has anyone run into this before? Is it normal?

I really am not in a place to buy a new brass cleaner. This one works just not sure why I am getting this black stuff. Could be the rubber is falling apart?

Boolit Grand Master

I used the same one for around 40 years and never noticed it degrading any. It always had black water in it after tumbling and I always thought that it was more than the carbon in the cases. Thumbler does offer replacement parts. Liners, drums, ect. So you don't have to buy another whole unit.

Boolit Buddy
    Weird. What are you using for cleaners/chemicals?

Could your black residue be carbon from the fouling it is removing from the brass?

Does the rubber look like it is disintegrating? I suppose the rubber formulation could have changed, or maybe you got one of a bad batch, assuming you're not using too harsh of chemicals or storing it in the sunlight (I have no idea how tolerant the compound is to UV light).

I've had mine for 8 years, and rubber looks good as new, initially using Dawn+Lemishine, but then switched to Armorall Car Wash + Lemishine.

Boolit Master
    Dawn+Lemishine or a splash of lemon juice. A few years ago the car was stuff a few times but always found Dawn to work better so stopped using it. For the last few years it has been Dawn Lemishine.

It could be carbon but you would think that would wash off at some point with a rag.

My reloading room has one window and the blinds are closed just in case a looky lou comes around while I am not here. The tumbler has a home on the floor under my bench. I do not think sunlight is the issue.

Is it funny i thought about asking here before calling the company who makes it. LOL

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    I have a TT model B and just this morning I noticed my hands getting dirty while doing a rinse. I rubbed the inside rubber and my figure got black. I have not used this tumbler in months. Brass was all clean. So I wiped it down with a rag. It just keeps putting off black stuff. I have left it dry and does not let any more black stuff off until you wet it again.

Has anyone run into this before? Is it normal?

I really am not in a place to buy a new brass cleaner. This one works just not sure why I am getting this black stuff. Could be the rubber is falling apart?
    I want to ask if you stored the drum with the lid on, so it stayed wet for those months. If it were mine, I'd continue to use it and store it open, to see if matters improved.

Boolit Master
    I plan on still using it. It has been running all day to be honest. I was just wondering if anyone had the same issue and if a failure was in its near future.

I do store it with the lid on but with the seal inside and the lid loose ah who knows. But you never know that could of happened at some point.

Boolit Master
    Just talked to the company. They said for 50 bucks plus shipping I could have a new liner. She asked if I tried washing it out with warm water and soap. LOL Nice lady.

Boolit Master
    I also have had Mine for Decades. Never saw Or herd that before. The inside Just as Good as I purchases it
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve had this happen to me a couple of times but in my case it was just something that was in a load of brass. Way more aggressive than grease and I still don’t know what it was. I swore it was the rubber at the time.

In my case the answer was to run loads of brass and pins with Dawn only (no citric acid) for about an hour. It took 8-10 cycles but it eventually cleaned up.

My problem is with rust on the tumbler. It looks the rubber may outlast the metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

After using my Thumler's B for a couple of years, I removed the rubber drum liner and found mild rust inside the steel drum. I took it off with steel wool and WD-40 and made a note to inspect once per year or so.

I've also been using a Thumler's Model B for 6 years now. Quite a bit of use on it, but the rubber lining is fully intact with no issues. I tumble with auto wash and wax and Lemi-Shine, and I do leave the wet pins in the uncovered drum for storage.

Now the factory belts are another question - I've completely given up on those as they were breaking much too frequently, and have switched to an equivalent sized o-ring.

Otherwise, no issues with the Thumlers for my part...

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think that you're looking at any immediate failure. But, you can extend the life of the drum by removing the liner and painting the drum. Remove the liner and clean the drum with a wire brush then paint it with a good grade of paint. I also switched to using an "O" ring for a belt. Someone once posted the # of a replacement vacuum cleaner belt that was said to give good service. Maybe Google can find that info.

Boolit Master
    I have used the same O ring for as long as I can remember. I have two extras when I need them.

I agree. I do not think it going to just fall apart any time soon. As for painting mine. Well the rubber ever since I can remember seems to be glued in and I could be wrong but do not think water is getting behind it in any way. Like I said I could be wrong. The more I use it the less black I am getting. But I am still getting it. A post above mentioned this and said it would clean up. I can only hope for the best.