WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor ol Ponsness-Warren 800B

Boolit Bub

Poor ol Ponsness-Warren 800B

Well this is a sad sight. This Goliath of a press saw plenty of action in its day. Anybody still using one of these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45EF7DDB-3290-4DE7-B4A4-21CFDB0CD5DA.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	214792Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C09AB4AF-41FB-4567-BDCD-FE793245AFD0.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	214793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47264105-2D7F-4488-876F-788BC6B2B193.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	214794

Boolit Master
    Yay Project !!!!!!

I realize the name or brand is a Warren-Pondsness 800B, but, What is it? It looks like an early turret for shotguns.
    Last edited by bbogue1; 02-22-2018 at 08:22 AM.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Bub
    Not my project. I prefer reloading and shooting. I don’t know if I could ever find a buyer for this at even $50. They would have to be an artist. It will make a nice discussion item in the right shop. And to bbogue1, yes it had seen a shotgun shell or two.

In Remembrance
    Yep, it was and still is one of the best progressive shot shell on the market. I have one of these and can say it will get 'er done. Sadly, I don't load shot shells any more. With the mandate to use steel shot for almost all hunting apps., and the high cost of lead shot, I quit bird hunting. My vintage shot guns are not designed for steel and their barrels would be destroyed in short order.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had the C model. I now have the 800+.

Parts are still available for it so it can be restored as well as upgraded with removable dies.

In working condition they sell for $300-350.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Good to know. I’m still on 30 day hold before I can post it in the selling threads. Might find an interested adventurer/artist.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sled,

My perceptions is that there are not many serious shotgunners on this site. This will not appeal to slug, buckshot, or casual reloaders. Shotgun World (I think is the name) or Trapshooters.com are better venues for something like this. Ebay as well; as many are sold there but the fees may be negative.

As you now know, these things weight about 50 lbs so shipping is expensive. Post accordingly.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the tips dverna. I’ll probably hold on to it and make a lamp out of it.

Still using an 800B, early 70's vintage by serial #, over 1,000,000 loaded on this one by me and I am the 2nd owner!! Went back to P/W in 2015 for a rebuild. Other than that and normal wear items, have not done a thing to it. Greatest shotshell loader ever made!!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Ponsness Warren.........Just got to love these old work horses, the finest shotshell reloading machine on the market.

Saw this older thread, I love reloading, both rifle, handgun or shotshells.
    These units are hard to find sometimes without paying through the nose for, and for good reason, they are IMHO the best shotshell loaders out there today.

Loads 00 Buck just great.

So easy to create specialty loads too.

And as far as I'm concerned, gives the best crimps of all the reloaders on the market today. These are some of the best assembled 16 gauge shells from any loader I have ever seen.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Nice pics MOA!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Thanks Hamish, I just love my Ponsness. I have four 600 Jr's running 10,12,16 and 20 ga shotshells. Had the opportunity a while back to get mine from an estate sale in Kansas when another member on the site mentioned it, was also able to get a Pacific DL-155 at the same time along with about 700 new still in box Federal paper pre-primed 16 ga shotshells. I love paper shotshells. Just ole fashioned like me I guess. The Ponsness came with two sets of dies on the head, a 12 and 16 ga setup, I will be ordering from Ponsness a new head with 10 and 20 ga dies, that way I can just swap heads and get those great crimps on all the current gauges I am loading at this time.

The Pacific DL-155 currently set up for 16ga.

I'm using a Ponsness Warren Press, but not for shot shells.

I have a Meta Metallic that I use for .45ACP.

Yes, they make great presses for metallic reloading too. Many reloader don't know they exist, let alone being one of the premier reloader press manufacturers of shot shell and metallic reloading equipment.

Boolit Buddy
    I was a P-W distributor/dealer for many years. Rebuilt many of those machines. Had an early 2 digit serial machine that we used for out pigeon loads for quite a while. I sold it in 1967 after loading over 100,000 shells on it. I actually took it back on trade in 1998. Missing most of the paint. Little cleaning few parts and it was ready to go again. The 800Bs are not easily changed to a convertible and are truly not worth an awful lot...Some parts are not available...but many old machines to cannibalize. I still have a few P-Ws but mostly use Spolar shotshell loaders these days. They make a P-W look kinda ancient and they really do load better.

they are a work of art, I found a p-w 600 the other day it has sat in a garage gor about 10 years or so ,it seems to be intact but dusty and dirty , it will need some TLC fellow wants $125 for it ,does that seem like a good price or not

well i just picked up a 800B of of ebay should be here by next week. i will let all here know how it performs. i have a Mec grabber and a 650 that i can compare it too.
    Rick

Boolit Master

Nothing wrong with the Grabber or 650, but you should find the P-W 800 both smoother and faster. You really can’t go wrong with either of them. The only thing I would change about the 650 would be to put a full length resizer on it. James

Thanks for the information , what would be a good price to pay for a 600

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast