Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingPBcastcoRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: T/C hawken front sight

Boolit Bub

T/C hawken front sight

My T/C Hawken Flintlock even with the Rear sight down all the way still shoots high at 50 yards. Is the front sight just driven into the dove tail. I want to put a higher sight if possible but cannot move the front sight. Tried driving it front the left side to the right but it will not move , any thoughts, certainly don't want to damage the barrel or dovetail

Boolit Master
    Use a sight pusher or brass punch & hammer and move it from LEFT to RIGHT (as you look from the breech toward the muzzle) . You need to place the barrel in a vice (DON'T CRUSH IT!) (use leather or tight layers of cloth to protect barrel) (close to the muzzle) or against a table that has cloth or blanket on it. Gun must be steady. Bang against the BASE of the sight. It will move. It may be rusted in place, but it will eventually move. Don't get frustrated, you can do it. Apply grease to base of new sight before installing. Sight base is 3/8 dovetail. You may have to file it a bit to get it started. File sight only, not the dovetail in the barrel. A little at a time. Good luck with the rock lock.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

* Pre-soak the front sight dovetail with a liquid thread loosener (penetrating oil), like Liquid Wrench for a few hours.

* Solidly support the barrel near the front sight, not on a kitchen table or across the knees ( the Best Practice is to use a padded bench vise).

* Hold a strong/non-marring drift pin (I used the hinge pin of a common household door hinge) solidly against the left side (looking from the rear) of the sight blade base.

* Move the sight via hitting the drift pin with a HEAVY hammer (a household claw hammer is usually too light to be effective).

* Hit the drift with the hammer like it owes you money (No love-taps, here).

Last edited by pietro; 02-23-2018 at 06:51 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

As above posts have noted use a non marring drift and a heavy hammer 2 lbs is good 3 may be better. Have the barrel clamped very solidly on a heavy bench. I have also clamped the muzzle in a bushing in my barrel vise. I prefer the sight on the die with direction of travel down so the punch is up and hitting is a downward blow. If using a padded bench vise block up from the bench to the barrel also doing this. Kroil or penetrating oil will help. another is the cautious use of heat on the barrel around the dovetail. Some have taken to locktites or glues when installing and heat will loosen this bond also. Heat may also expand the barrel enough to loosen the dovetail slightly. Once it moves you have it beat. Scribe a line on the sight base even with the barrel flat so you can tell when it starts to move

Another thought, I have seen a few rear sights that would not go down all the way due to improper base screws being used. If hardware store screws were used as replacements the sight will bottom out on the head of the screws before it ever really reaches true bottom. If you bought the gun new this would not likely be the case, but if you Johnny Cash'd it together "one piece at a time"...who knows what the last guy used. Ran into this twice tinkering the T/C Hawkens and Renegades.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waarp8nt View Post
    another thought, i have seen a few rear sights that would not go down all the way due to improper base screws being used. If hardware store screws were used as replacements the sight will bottom out on the head of the screws before it ever really reaches true bottom. If you bought the gun new this would not likely be the case, but if you johnny cash'd it together "one piece at a time"...who knows what the last guy used. Ran into this twice tinkering the t/c hawkens and renegades.
    how true!
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

All good advise, it will come out!
    Nit Wit

Boolit Master
    drive the sight out left to right. in stall right to left.the sight base and or the dove tail slot are tapered.