Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lee 44 mag Collet crimp die

Lee 44 mag Collet crimp die

I have been looking into a new crimp die for my 44 mag cast boolits. Any one use the lee 44 mag (COLLET) crimp die? Is it any good? I have used them with rifle cartridges with good results. I am going to load mid to upper range loads with the NOE 434 234gc with 2400. I have the rcbs seat-crimp in one step die. I have read the crimp is real important for good accuracy in the 44. Im using a Dillon XL650.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Hey Lead chucker
    Being of the mind set that seat and crimp are best done separately, the Lee factory crimp is very good. The rifle crimp dies are built differently than the handgun caliber dies. That being said, the handgun caliber Lee collet crimp also has a sizer ring that must be addressed when using cast projectiles. Lee makes their die for smaller diameter jacketed bullets. My dies have had the carbide ring ground to a larger dimension and then polished to accommodate the larger slugs. The enlarging cost was more than the original die purchase. It was stated somewhere on this forum, the carbide size ring could be knocked out. What would be preferable is Lee providing the die with larger or no final size function. You could be the leader here. Good skill to you.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Vendor Sponsor

The Lee collet crimp die for 44 mag and 45 Colt is great. However in it's as-shipped state from Lee, it needs a bit of tweaking for best results. The crimp band on these is probably 2 1/2 times wider than it needs to be, and it crimps not only the case mouth but quite a bit of the boolit in front of the case mouth as well. Why would there ever be a need to crimp the boolit in front of the case mouth? Doesn't make any sense to do this.

I have found that by modifying the crimp band to be only about ,060" wide and lowering it until it only crimps the case mouth, like it should, these things are without equal for heavy boolits and magnum loads!

Here is a thread detailing the mods I do to get mine working at their best:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2239315
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

It appears that there may be some confusion relating to the terminology Lee uses when describing two seperate products.

(Click on the links)

The Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die does have a carbide ring sizer at the lower end of the die that can size the cartridge case to the same diameter from case mouth to case base. The carbide dies also contain adjustable roll crimp sleeves for revolver calibers and taper crimp sleeves for autoloaders.

The Lee Handgun Caliber Collet Style Crimp Die does NOT have a carbide ring sizer at the lower end of the die, is not available in autoloader calibers and only applies a collet style crimp to the case.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 02-23-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Grand Master

I just used my 44 Mag. collet crimp die yesterday. Since I have been using a Redding Profile Crimp on my 44 Mags, it's difficult to see any crimp from the collet crimp die. Yes, I too believe the crimp section of the collet is too wide, so I seat the bullet far enough that the case mouth is even with the top of the crimp groove and checked the amount of crimp by measuring. I've only used it three times and still undecided. I'm working upa load of True Blue under a 240 gr. Ranch Dog RNFP for my Puma and have only reloaded 40 so far...

44 Magnum is my favorite cartridge and so far I've used the plain Lee roll crimp, an RCBS roll crimp, A Redding Profile crimp (my favorite so far) an FCD (which now resides in a land fill somewhere in So. Oregon) and the Lee Collet crimp.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Myers View Post

The Lee Handgun Caliber Collet Style Crimp Die does NOT have a carbide ring sizer at the lower end of the die, is not available in autoloader calibers and only applies a collet style crimp to the case.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for that note and link Tom -- Lee doesn't always have these available: I went ahead and ordered a couple this time.

Boolit Master
    I've been using the collet crimp dies in both my .357 and .41 mag for a few years now and would never crimp any other way. So much easier on the brass and holds very well.

I put the biggest drill bit that would fit in the die body in mine, to make the collar part shorter, so that it makes what looks like a regular roll crimp, I also ground just a slight bit off of the bottom of the die body, so that it can travel a bit farther to crimp a bit tighter, unlike douguys, which I am pretty sure I have seen pics of his brass, I only shortened the collar of the collet from the inside, so that it still comes up even with the mouth of the case. both ways work, I like my way he likes his, and whos to say one is better than the other ( I am not) doug is a talented guy! that's just how I did it. good luck, and whichever way you do it, let us know how it goes! good luck-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    The Lee collet crimp die for 44 mag and 45 Colt is great. However in it's as-shipped state from Lee, it needs a bit of tweaking for best results. The crimp band on these is probably 2 1/2 times wider than it needs to be, and it crimps not only the case mouth but quite a bit of the boolit in front of the case mouth as well. Why would there ever be a need to crimp the boolit in front of the case mouth? Doesn't make any sense to do this.

I have found that by modifying the crimp band to be only about ,060" wide and lowering it until it only crimps the case mouth, like it should, these things are without equal for heavy boolits and magnum loads!

Here is a thread detailing the mods I do to get mine working at their best:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2239315
    Doug, How do you get the collet die apart and back together? Is it just a matter of pressing it both ways?

Boogedy_Man,

See attached PDF.

AntiqueSledMan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Boolit Man
    That's perfect...thanks!

Boolit Master
    An Added note:
    Cylindrical spacer sleeves can be made to allow Crimping a Long cartridge in a short cartridge Collet Crimping Die although the use is "tedious" it does allow economical crimping of multiple case lengths in the same die.
    Chev. William