Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Revolver Dilemma.

Boolit Master

The Revolver Dilemma.

I've been wanting another revolver for awhile now, and I cannot decide what to get. I have it narrowed down to 4 drastically different choices.

1. Ruger Blackhawk Conversion (45 Colt/ACP) - $572
    Extremely versatile and strong. I could load it hot, use my 1911 loads in it, and it's probably the most accurate gun on this list.

2. Traditions 1873 Frontier (45 Colt) - $436
    This gun, with a 4.75" barrel is drop dead gorgeous, and from what I've read, the quality is just as good if not better than Uberti's. I can't load it hot, but honestly I don't care. I have a strong 44 mag. I don't need to hot rod 45 Colt to get my kicks. The barrel length is my idea of a perfect carry revolver. It's a great balance of speed and useful accuracy. How can I say no to a SAA clone?

3. Uberti 1847 Walker (.44) - $370
    It's the odd one out here since it's a blackpowder gun, but it's just an impressive gun all around. Big, heavy, and powerful. Has absolutely zero use beyond plinking, and would probably not do well at CAS, but the history aspect of it is incredibly appealing to me. I am a big fan of anything to do with the Texas Rangers.

4. Carry gun with a 2-3" barrel (44 Special) - $400-$500
    I wouldn't mind a new carry gun, but I don't need one. There's unfortunately not a lot of options for 44 Special revolvers in this price range, and most of them are either Taurus or Charter Arms.

It's hard to choose what to get. I'm leaning towards the SAA or the Walker because those interest me the most and are cheaper. The Ruger would be more useful though. Any thoughts?

I'm not going to be much help since I don't currently load any of those except the 45acp.
    If I were to choose one it would have to be the Ruger for it's versatility.
    Black powder is fun but not too practical. That never stopped me from buying a gun though.
    I can't shoot single action pistols well due to an old injury to my hand so the Traditions is out.
    44 special is a nice cartridge but the 2 guns mentioned don't call to me at all.
    I would have to choose the Ruger and try to get a set of grips that would allow me to shoot it.

Well if you are looking for a gun for CAS you are pretty much going to need a single action. I don't shoot SASS anymore, but I sometimes still carry my SA revolvers. I have a Pietta in 44 mag, and she is a jewel. For 45 acp I have a S&W Performance Center 625, and I love her also.

Boolit Master
    Get the Walker. Everybody should own one at least once. It is a hand cannon. While you won't regularly shoot full cylinder 60 grs loads, you just have to every now and again. They are handsome pistols! With paper cartridges, they are very best and easy to load for and black powder clean up is not hard: hot water and fish soap, a little Ballistol and all's good. It's impractical, but so's a mistress... A Walker's cheaper and almost as much bang for less buck. If you ride, they are awesome in a pommel holster and I have a friend in TX that shoots hogs with one. Mine's an ASM, not as nice as the current Uberti. It's a lot of fun.

I believe the most reasonable and useful gun would be the Blackhawk convertible, good resale value too. That said, sometimes you've just got to go with the one you think would be the most fun. Gp

Boolit Master
    Have a Ruger small frame flat top convertible 45acp/45 colt and the wife really enjoys it. If I wanted to go back to a single action it would be a a Ruger Bisley convertible 45acp/45 colt. Currently I enjoy my Redhawk 4 1/4" 45 Colt which can go from mild to wild. I agree on the resale of a Ruger revolver.

The Ruger is the better choice for practical use.

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger.

Boolit Bub
    The Ruger: 2 of my favorite cartridges. wish I hadn't traded away the one I had. Always thought I'd get another and so far life has conspired against that happening.

I vote for the Ruger also.

Boolit Master
    Have the Ruger 5 1/2" convertible. Outstanding with either 45 LC or ACP.

Boolit Master
    If this was my decision to make, here is how I would go about it. First would be to list all the revolvers I currently own in calibers/types parallel with those you have on your list. Then I would see if any of these (4) selected are the same or close to any of those I already own. This would probably eliminate 1-2 from the selection list. Next I would ask which remaining choices are the farthest away from my current list of holdings. This may be the question that makes the call. I plan to add in a new big bore revolver, and I like variety. I'm not married to a single format (single v. double action) or (cartridge firearm v. muzzle-loader). I want something new (even if used, new to me). Let the fun begin. Which ever choice you make, you already know it will make you happy. It made the final list, didn't it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    If this was my decision to make, here is how I would go about it. First would be to list all the revolvers I currently own in calibers/types parallel with those you have on your list. Then I would see if any of these (4) selected are the same or close to any of those I already own. This would probably eliminate 1-2 from the selection list. Next I would ask which remaining choices are the farthest away from my current list of holdings. This may be the question that makes the call. I plan to add in a new big bore revolver, and I like variety. I'm not married to a single format (single v. double action) or (cartridge firearm v. muzzle-loader). I want something new (even if used, new to me). Let the fun begin. Which ever choice you make, you already know it will make you happy. It made the final list, didn't it.
    Out of all these guns, two are similar to guns I already own. I have a S&W 629 that is very accurate, very versatile, and pretty much fills in the role the Ruger would have had. I also have an 1858 Remington clone, which I guess you could say is similar to the Walker since they are both black powder .44s. The Walker is mainly a historical fascination though, and honestly probably would be the least shot gun on this list.

Whelp, looks like I'm leaning heavily towards the SAA now. Thanks, that really helped.

I should also mention I plan on owning all of these at some point. It's just a matter of what comes first.

Boolit Master
    I have a bunch of revolvers, including an ASM Walker and a Cimarron Uberti .45 Colt SAA 4-3/4”. I shoot the latter about 10 times more often than the former, and probably twice as often as any other revolver except my SAs in .32-20.

If you want a fair approximation of the Walker experience, you can load the .45 clone with black powder. The weight-to-power ratio is similar.

I’d pick the Ruger, hands down. Versatile, built like a tank, fun to shoot (all of them are, really) good resale, accurate, and on and on.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Bub
    Another vote for the Ruger

Boolit Grand Master

I go with the Ruger. But, I would get it in 45LC only. I had a convertible and after the initial excitement of switching calibers, the 45 ACP cylinder ended up collecting dust...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I go with the Ruger. But, I would get it in 45LC only. I had a convertible and after the initial excitement of switching calibers, the 45 ACP cylinder ended up collecting dust...
    I don't have one, but if I did it would be the opposite for me. A 45 ACP revolver can be loaded from a magazine, I do it with my CA Pitbull. A 1911 magazine is as close as it gets to a speed loader for a SA revolver.

Boolit Buddy

I would recommend the Ruger Bisley 45acp/45colt convertible. I use mine (45acp)for recreation and as a carry gun for self defense, whatever you choose have fun. JMHO

Rafe
    If there is nothing in your life worth dying for than you are already dead.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
    Get the Walker. Everybody should own one at least once. It is a hand cannon. While you won't regularly shoot full cylinder 60 grs loads, you just have to every now and again. They are handsome pistols! With paper cartridges, they are very best and easy to load for and black powder clean up is not hard: hot water and fish soap, a little Ballistol and all's good. It's impractical, but so's a mistress... A Walker's cheaper and almost as much bang for less buck. If you ride, they are awesome in a pommel holster and I have a friend in TX that shoots hogs with one. Mine's an ASM, not as nice as the current Uberti. It's a lot of fun.
    Agreed.. You gotta shoot a 60 gr charge walker now and then. When we go out shooting I joke with my buddies that I'm bringing my 45-60 with me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast